there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 02:56
Haven't heard `Hot Seat' for quite some time, but `Love Beach' isn't quite the dog it's made out to be. Palmer's drumming in particular is terrific!

I think the sexually suggestive lyrics on `Taste Of My Love' (ugh, even that title!) are the worst thing about it!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 03:27
Oy! Like choosing between to sexually transmitted diseases this is.

Love Beach...I suppose.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 04:39
LOve Beach is miles  and miles  and miles better.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 05:15
Love Beach for me
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 05:51
'Love Beach' is actually a good album if you ignore the cover but 'In The Hot Seat ' definitively deserves the title 'On the Toilet Seat'.
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:13
At least half of Love Beach ain't too shabby i.e. Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman has (mostly) excellent music albeit with crap lyrics while there's also those two little neglected gems re Canario (instrumental classical adaptation) and All I Want Is You (decent pop song)

By way of comparison, In the Hot Seat only has The Man in The Long Black Coat (good Dylan cover) and Give Me a Reason to Stay (decent MOR)

But yes, neither are worthy of those initials being affixed to the covers alas...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

At least half of Love Beach ain't too shabby i.e. Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman has (mostly) excellent music albeit with crap lyrics while there's also those two little neglected gems re Canario (instrumental classical adaptation) and All I Want Is You (decent pop song)

By way of comparison, In the Hot Seat only has The Man in The Long Black Coat (good Dylan cover) and Give Me a Reason to Stay (decent MOR)

But yes, neither are worthy of those initials being affixed to the covers alas...

Those are not  the songs I prefer on  Hot Seat. Interestingly (maybe) Long Black Coat was meant to be part of a larger epic piece. Producer said no.  Theis album  is  not ELPs fault. It was the record company to blame. Same as Love Beach in  that respect.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:21
Love Beets - as it has one good track! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:22
LOVE BEACH by a long shot.  Despite the cheese-ball cover photo, the album holds some decent late-70's Prog. As Aussie-Byrd said ;  the lyrics are the worst thing about it, and Palmer is very busy throughout.  My, how Sinfield slipped............why Greg didn't write the lyrics beats the hell out of me........
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LOVE BEACH by a long shot.  Despite the cheese-ball cover photo, the album holds some decent late-70's Prog. As Aussie-Byrd said ;  the lyrics are the worst thing about it, and Palmer is very busy throughout.  My, how Sinfield slipped............why Greg didn't write the lyrics beats the hell out of me........

If you mean the Memoirs of  an  Officer lyrics it is hardly Sinfields fault. he had to write  them on demand section  at a time and  immediately  asthe song was recorded. He didn't do a terible job under the circs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:27
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If you mean the Memoirs of  an  Officer lyrics it is hardly Sinfields fault. he had to write  them on demand section  at a time and  immediately  asthe song was recorded. He didn't do a terible job under the circs.
Nah - mainly the songs on side 1.  Memoirs is actually pretty darn good beginning to end, lyric-wise and music.  I'd say if this album had a more inspired cover, it wouldn't be bashed half as much as it is.........???
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:31

Nah - mainly the songs on side 1.  Memoirs is actually pretty darn good beginning to end, lyric-wise and music.  I'd say if this album had a more inspired cover, it wouldn't be bashed half as much as it is.........???

far as I remeber side 1 is Lake lyrics co wrote with  Sinfield

Edited by Snow Dog - March 31 2013 at 06:32
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:34

Just looked at the record - it's Sinfield's name at the end of each credit, bar Canario............but thinking about it, maybe Greg would've written worse lyrics..................
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:34

Just looked at the record - it's Sinfield's name at the end of each credit, bar Canario............but thinking about it, maybe Greg would've written worse lyrics..................

It is  very  possible.Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:40

Love Beach was recorded at Compass Point - Nassau, Bahamas.  Their minds were focussed more on play than work........LOL

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:44

Love Beach was recorded at Compass Point - Nassau, Bahamas.  Their minds were focussed more on play than work........LOL

I know you are joking  but the reality was they never wanted to be there and couldn't wait to leave. Leaving Emerson to sort out the album production and mixing.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:48
In no particular order of toe curling wretchedness:

When I Finally marched from Sandhurst, I'd learned to put my fellow man firstEmbarrassed

Yes it's great now you're a full time nurse, but do be careful with the air-raids getting worseDead

I'm gonna love you like nobody ever loved you climb on my rocket and we'll fly.Ouch

It's time to disappear - with you, to where the skies are blue.Cry

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:52

I know you are joking  but the reality was they never wanted to be there and couldn't wait to leave. Leaving Emerson to sort out the album production and mixing.
I think I read that in one of the recent 'Prog' magazines - the others all bailed and left poor Keith to deal with it all.................(nice mates Angry).  I missed Emerson's Hammond though, but it was hard enough lugging all their gear, as it was (especially his Moog modular unit), across the Atlantic.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>