18 [19.15%]
76 [80.85%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 05:43
We passed the "ignore him and he'll calm down" stage a week ago after the first reports and complaints started arriving in the Admins' inbox. Now Admins are involved how it pans out from here on is upto Mr Tubes.
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 06:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

My bloody browser crashed when I was about to click on "Post"....
I'm getting that too - I Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C before posting now-a-days so I can Ctrl-V the post back if it bombs.

Well, I think that we are on the same line about "deleting". I have interpreted the second quoted sentence as "even with my one star the rating has decreased of ONLY 0.02". 
It knocked it down two spots on the all-time top 100  - when there is ony 0.05 seperating #50 from #100 on the chart small changes mean a lot, especially when you have a x10 weighting. (Doubly so when you have a x20 weighting).

About youtube, I remember a polemic some months ago about the 1.star review written by AtomicCrimsonRush of a Japanese noisy Progressive electronic artist whose name I don't remember. ACR wrote it basing on youtube and with his agreement those reviews were deleted.
ACR is a Collab ... we need to be seen to be setting the standards.

I Ctrl-c/Ctrl-V too, but this time chrome was faster than me...Cry
Usually I don't look at the top 100 so I haven't spot it. Thanks for clarifying about Youtube.

I'm more than happy to leave him to the admins now. I feel like Guldbamsen. Initially I was defending him but this behaviour is not much acceptable.

You don't need my support but you have it.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 12:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

You must learn to govern your passions, they will be your undoing.Wink

Spock to McCoy, ST II

Big smile   I've been waiting for somebody to call this one out.   Nice to know that our PA regulars are on the ball.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 12:41
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

In the coming decades when genetic science will allow mankind to eradicate inferior traits from the genome...
We now have the subjects to eliminate the "stupidity" gene.

This may seem harsh, but this is more than a simple case of opinion, it is reviewer incompetence. Example, I am not very keen on metal or singers that scream & growl, so I would certainly trash them in a review as that stuff truly causes me discomfort.  So the answer is:  Don't review the stuff that you really don't like.  It is pointless.  If you guys still don't get my point, think of it this way:

Gentle Giant - Free Hand
YES - CTTE
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Yes, you can find people that speak negatively about these recordings(in fact here at PA) yet that would be a complete waste of time since the above recordings are genre leading masterpieces of prog.

So I do think the reviewer was at best, ill-advised to lampoon Free Hand. His time telling us about music would have been better served writing about music that he was more qualified to speak of.

Ah the old mine is not an opinion, it is stating a fact debating stance. That always convinces the doubters!Confused

Of course your assertion that those albums are "Masterpieces of prog" is an opinion. It is as valid as, but no more than, anyone else's. You don't win a debate by deriding those who would differ from your opinion.

Typical of a Scottsman to bring a shotgun when he should have offered a pint of bitters instead.Wink

I was just having some fun about genetics, though aparently I didn't make my point about established classics as well as I should have. Permit me to try again:

Irregardless of my or other opinions, some works(sculptures/paintings/musical compositions) have been recognized
as masterpieces or at least essential works.  Statue of David, Sistine Chapel, Captain Beefheart - Bat Chain Puller, etc... Its how we classify things and how us lesser folk now what to compare to or aspire to.

I think its a safe assumption that within the prog community records like DSOTM or YES-CTTE have been recognized
(not by me) as such and can be used as standards to be measured by for whatever means.  Slamming them is kinda silly and pointless and not much help in this wonderful forum where we use such reviews & information to help us make
informed decisions to find new progressive music to enjoy.

@Dean - Wassup Baby??? I kinda miss you.Embarrassed
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 12:58

You know, the usual, ever trying to strike that balance betwix bemused irreverence and the firm right-hand of experienced authority and weathered charm, yet still managing to fail miserably on all attempts, much like yourself it would seem.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 13:18

You know, the usual, ever trying to strike that balance betwix bemused irreverence and the firm right-hand of experienced authority and weathered charm, yet still managing to fail miserably on all attempts, much like yourself it would seem.

Oh snap.

(As they say in the  States I believe)Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 13:38

Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

@Dean Are you stupid? I didn't buy Free Hand - I listened to it on Youtube, tard. 

A review should be based on careful listens. Youtube's quality is not good enough for that. 

4 quick points if I may:

Regarding Dean's mental state of mind.  Dean is perhaps one of the very brightest here on PA and is the last person
that should receive such boorish insults.

Youtube sucks for reviews.  If you can't take the time to review the music that plays it in a neutral or flat manner, you shouldn't review it.

Tubes could be related to Dr. Prog and should be given "special" handling.

If anybody get banned around here it should be for not liking The Flower Kings - The Chicken Farmer Song.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 13:42
Man Ermm..........I do like The Chicken Farmer Song!Big smileBeer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 13:51

Big smile Big smile Big smile

You are the only one here(or that I have ever met frankly) who can stick my nose in the mud and make me still wanna pal around with youEmbarrassed.  Niceley done old chap!   Plus, I think you may have been the first human ever to use the words "bemused & irreverence" back to back.  I saw your picture with that old jalopy, nice.  Is is still on the road?
Me, I am enjoying the new Mystery & Spock's Beard & Flower Kings CD and the new UK Live in Japan DVD.
Eddie Jobson gives a keyboard master clinic on that.

You have been working hard here(on PA) my friend.  Lots of us appreciate your efforts and help keeping PA
the best prog resource that it is.

Stop by The Flower King Appreciation Thread sometime.Tongue   We just recruited Biff Tannen, the guy with the single coolest name here on PA, so that is pretty cool.Cool

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 13:57
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Man Ermm..........I do like The Chicken Farmer Song!Big smileBeer
@Snow Dog

Come over & bring Dean with you to The Flower Kings Appreciation Thread, from time to time.  We could use some more input from the UK. Our resident Brits have been otherwise disposed chasing around young ladies & playing rock star. The USA has had to carry most of the heavy lifting lately.

Tongue   Smile   Big smile

Oh, what is "Oh snap"?  Never heard that before.

P.S.  Anybody with a RUSH reference in their name is especially welcome.

Edited by dennismoore - April 10 2013 at 13:59
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:38
Omg I'm gone for 4 months and this is what I miss? Shame on me. This poll is definately the most outrageous I've come across for somebody being lambasted by posting a terrible review. I'm surprised Mr. Tubes is getting so much attention, but I guess if it effects the poll rating system of the album I guess admin and site managers have to jump in. I know that this is nothing short of an attention grab. I gotta give Tubby tubes credit for getting quite a lot of us riled up over a couple of reviews. I picture you, Mr. Tubes, as the Montgomery Burns type just biding your time while folding and dangling your hands in the steeple position. This is hilarious!!! Welcome back me!!!   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:43
Fire in the hole!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:46
Exxxxcellent (in Monty Burns voice, of course lol!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 13:23
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Exxxxcellent (in Monty Burns voice, of course lol!)

yeah totally.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 13:29
Sorry to interrupt the fight but what's'wrong with reviewing an album on the basis of youtube songs. Most of the songs or albums i downloaded from youtube are 192 kbps, which is good enough for a review. Many obscure psych rock albums of the sixties have very bad production and expose to a difficult listening experience but I could easily rate them 5 stars. Same goes for the demo tracks added on the bonus cds to marillion,s' albums or the unearthed kevin gilbert demos. I think that if an album is bad, which is the case of free hand, even the best audio quality will not help improving things.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 13:47
I review albums just by imagining what they might sound like.  Wink
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 14:08
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Sorry to interrupt the fight but what's'wrong with reviewing an album on the basis of youtube songs. Most of the songs or albums i downloaded from youtube are 192 kbps, which is good enough for a review. Many obscure psych rock albums of the sixties have very bad production and expose to a difficult listening experience but I could easily rate them 5 stars. Same goes for the demo tracks added on the bonus cds to marillion,s' albums or the unearthed kevin gilbert demos. I think that if an album is bad, which is the case of free hand, even the best audio quality will not help improving things.

Totally agree, except with Free hand being a bad album, which it obviously isn't. Good try though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 19:43
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I review albums just by imagining what they might sound like.  Wink

f**k that is awesome. You make it sound so easy!! Such a doctor's gift. :)
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 08:41
I would not rate any GG album 1 *
not even Giant for a Day which is their weakest effort IMO. 
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 13:45
^ Agreed. Free Hand is far from my favorite GG album, but as much as I dislike Giant for a Day I wouldn't give it 1 star.

There's nothing wrong with giving Free Hand 1 star. In my opinion, it'd be even more wrong if you bumped up the rating just because of its general acclaim in the prog community. If you think it's bad, say it's bad.

Edited by bankstatement - May 07 2016 at 13:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>