Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rick Wakeman to play with his sons at Gloucester
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman to play with his sons at Gloucester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman to play with his sons at Gloucester
    Posted: April 01 2013 at 21:34
Since last year, Wakeman has been publishing about himself playing at a prog festival in Gloucester, in June I think (I may be mistaken). However, it seems there were some situations that made him change his plans for his performances, and he ended up inviting both Adam and Oliver to play with him on keyboards, as well as her daughter Jemma on vocals. Now, I hope some of this is released, for I would very much like to listen to some of this performances.

http://rwcc.com/gorr.asp

Edited by Dellinger - April 01 2013 at 21:35
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 23:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Since last year, Wakeman has been publishing about himself playing at a prog festival in Gloucester, in June I think (I may be mistaken). However, it seems there were some situations that made him change his plans for his performances, and he ended up inviting both Adam and Oliver to play with him on keyboards, as well as her daughter Jemma on vocals. Now, I hope some of this is released, for I would very much like to listen to some of this performances.

http://rwcc.com/gorr.asp

Thank you, that is very uplifting news!!  I too would like to listen to these performances!  
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:50
Too far away for me, but great that he does that!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:53
I don't know what material he's focussing on these days, but I've recently re-listened to the original 'Journey.......' and 'Myths and Legends.......' after not having spun them for, literally, years, and blow me away, they are just so exciting.  Wakeman has the best mini-moog sound ever Bowdown
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:17
Within that link there is another link that is the organisers press release

http://rickwakemangloucester.com/rock-fans-set-to-feel-the-rick-wakeman-ultimate-experience-in-2013/
from that link:

Three Unique Wakeman Concerts in Gloucestershire Confirmed for June 15th, 16th & 17th, 2013

Two unique concert formats have been created and this global icon of progressive rock will be appearing live in concert in his only MAJOR concerts of 2013 on June 15th in Gloucester, followed by two performances of magically woven music which will include personal selections from his three greatest Masterpieces especially for June 16th and June 17th, 2013 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK.

Box Office open to the public Now. at http://rickwakemangloucester.com/ticketoffice/

In Rick’s first of three shows he will be performing a very intimate set entitled: “Wakeman with Wakeman with Wakeman and Wakeman“.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:10

Ditto. I think Rick will definitely issue something. I've loved Wakemusic for three decades now (scary to think I can actually say that).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:45
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Too far away for me, but great that he does that!

Too far away for me too

Fortunatley I got to see Wakeman's 6 Wives concert on Hapton Court Palace a few years ago

Edited by Dellinger - April 02 2013 at 22:47
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don't know what material he's focussing on these days, but I've recently re-listened to the original 'Journey.......' and 'Myths and Legends.......' after not having spun them for, literally, years, and blow me away, they are just so exciting.  Wakeman has the best mini-moog sound ever Bowdown

He'll surely be focusing on those two albums and Six Wives. And indeed I love all this three albums, plus a few others he released later on (specially Criminal Record and Out There).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:53
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Ditto. I think Rick will definitely issue something. I've loved Wakemusic for three decades now (scary to think I can actually say that).

I think I've been loving Wakeman music for about half that time. I actually got to know his music before Yes, because some friend in highschool lent me a casette with the Arthur album. Later on, I got interested in Yes because of Wakeman.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 01:15

He'll surely be focusing on those two albums and Six Wives. And indeed I love all this three albums, plus a few others he released later on (specially Criminal Record and Out There).
Oh yeah !!  Six Wives and Criminal Record are the ones I listen to more often, I've just neglected the other 2 I've mentioned for some reason, and I just love where 'Journey.....' takes me.  Just having another revelation (as I did with Genesis' 'Duke' a while back) - you know - 'always thought it was good but not great...' I've heard several other later albums but they were pretty lacklustre, so I gave up...........I think you have to dig Rick Wakeman's music and style a lot, as opposed to 'Prog Rock', to have any more than, say, a 1/2 dozen of his albums. Though with a back-catalogue like Rick's, there surely many impressive Prog ones he's done that I'm missing................ 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 19:38

Oh yeah !!  Six Wives and Criminal Record are the ones I listen to more often, I've just neglected the other 2 I've mentioned for some reason, and I just love where 'Journey.....' takes me.  Just having another revelation (as I did with Genesis' 'Duke' a while back) - you know - 'always thought it was good but not great...' I've heard several other later albums but they were pretty lacklustre, so I gave up...........I think you have to dig Rick Wakeman's music and style a lot, as opposed to 'Prog Rock', to have any more than, say, a 1/2 dozen of his albums. Though with a back-catalogue like Rick's, there surely many impressive Prog ones he's done that I'm missing................ 

Check out the "Out There" album I mentioned, specially the song "Cathedral in the Sky", that one's as good as anything he's ever made.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:13

Check out the "Out There" album I mentioned, specially the song "Cathedral in the Sky", that one's as good as anything he's ever made.
I'll look into that eventually - thanks.
I listened to 'Journey...' again - I conclude that Rick is a master craftsman.  Yes, it is pompous, but it works.  The way the orchestra blends with the (mainly) Moogs and the band, is pretty tight, and the choir contributes quite emotionally moving parts - I can really feel the epic adventure, the tension, the mystery.  Love the narration. If it weren't for some weak vocals (Holt always bellows, and Pickford-Hopkins sounds tired towards the end) I'd rate this as a 5 star album. Almost as good as Six Wives.........
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 21:41

I listened to 'Journey...' again - I conclude that Rick is a master craftsman.  Yes, it is pompous, but it works.  The way the orchestra blends with the (mainly) Moogs and the band, is pretty tight, and the choir contributes quite emotionally moving parts - I can really feel the epic adventure, the tension, the mystery.  Love the narration. If it weren't for some weak vocals (Holt always bellows, and Pickford-Hopkins sounds tired towards the end) I'd rate this as a 5 star album. Almost as good as Six Wives.........

I have never cared about the so called "pompousess" of Wakeman, and other prog artists, actually, that's in a way the reason I like them. And indeed, the orchestrations of Journey are great, though I like them better on Myths and Legends. The orchestra really fits with the music, instead of being at odds as it might happen with some other orchstral rock adventures. Perhaps you would also like to check out the Return to the Center of the Earth album, that was nice too, though not as much as the 70's ones, but some of the songs are real killers. Also, Rick just released a re-recording of Journey, I haven't heard it yet, but certainly I must get it soon.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 03:24

I have never cared about the so called "pompousess" of Wakeman, and other prog artists, actually, that's in a way the reason I like them. And indeed, the orchestrations of Journey are great, though I like them better on Myths and Legends. The orchestra really fits with the music, instead of being at odds as it might happen with some other orchstral rock adventures. Perhaps you would also like to check out the Return to the Center of the Earth album, that was nice too, though not as much as the 70's ones, but some of the songs are real killers. Also, Rick just released a re-recording of Journey, I haven't heard it yet, but certainly I must get it soon.
Oh yes - I have 'Return....' on CD.  Haven't listened to that one for ages, but it was decent from memory.  I'm curious as to what his updated rendition of Journey will be like. 
You hit the nail right on the head when you say how well the orchestra fits within the framework of band-play, as opposed to your more 'regular' group and orchestra things (which usually have the band, then orchestra, then band, the orchestra - The Nice, Moody Blues and Deep Purple come to mind). The orchestra (and the choir, musn't forget the choir) on Journey indeed absorbs into the band to create the breath-taking, massive sound. 
Myths And Legends is pretty good, I love Rick's mini-moog solos throughout.
I just raided my sister's record collection (there's quite a few RW albums there I haven't bothered with) so I can soak some more Rick-Rock up !! 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 14:45

Oh yes - I have 'Return....' on CD.  Haven't listened to that one for ages, but it was decent from memory.  I'm curious as to what his updated rendition of Journey will be like. 
You hit the nail right on the head when you say how well the orchestra fits within the framework of band-play, as opposed to your more 'regular' group and orchestra things (which usually have the band, then orchestra, then band, the orchestra - The Nice, Moody Blues and Deep Purple come to mind). The orchestra (and the choir, musn't forget the choir) on Journey indeed absorbs into the band to create the breath-taking, massive sound. 

Myths And Legends is pretty good, I love Rick's mini-moog solos throughout.

I just raided my sister's record collection (there's quite a few RW albums there I haven't bothered with) so I can soak some more Rick-Rock up !! 

Well, if you find something interesting in those CD's, be sure to share.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:14
My sister's ex left all his old vinyl when he left - he was big on Yes and Queen - lots of goodies in those crates, I tell you.
Anyway, I borrowed 'Live At The Hammersmith', which turned out to be very good. Provided you like to hear Journey or 3 of the 6 Wives done almost on Korg synths (with his backing band) it's not a bad listen.
'No Earthly Connection' was not exciting at all.  I have held off for more than 20 years to listen to it.
And a soundtrack, 'The Burning', which had both impressive stuff and some fairly average parts but not too bad overall either.
I have seen many of Rick's albums at record fairs and 2nd-hand record shops and some look *really* cheesy - 'Rhapsodies' and especially 'Rock & Roll Prophet' (though I surmise he had just got hold of a Prophet synth....).  I know many are just piano albums.He really has tried almost everything - given that he has done much session work over the years.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 19:41

My sister's ex left all his old vinyl when he left - he was big on Yes and Queen - lots of goodies in those crates, I tell you.
Anyway, I borrowed 'Live At The Hammersmith', which turned out to be very good. Provided you like to hear Journey or 3 of the 6 Wives done almost on Korg synths (with his backing band) it's not a bad listen.

'No Earthly Connection' was not exciting at all.  I have held off for more than 20 years to listen to it.

And a soundtrack, 'The Burning', which had both impressive stuff and some fairly average parts but not too bad overall either.

I have seen many of Rick's albums at record fairs and 2nd-hand record shops and some look *really* cheesy - 'Rhapsodies' and especially 'Rock & Roll Prophet' (though I surmise he had just got hold of a Prophet synth....).  I know many are just piano albums.He really has tried almost everything - given that he has done much session work over the years.

From the ones you mentioned, the one that I do have is "No Earthly Connection"... and I must say I was rather disapointed with it when I got it. The main long song has got lot's of great ideas, but kind of disjointed for my taste... if he had unified some of those ideas and made more solid songs I think it would have been great. The Prisoner I think is the best song on this album, and I already had it on a compilation. Plus, there is a version of a Medley of this album on the live album "Out of the Blue" that really nails all the best parts of the album... I usually dislike Medleys, but in this case I think he nailed it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 03:49
Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record is fantastic.  Gave that one a spin last night and I can't find much fault with it.  It doesn't hurt having Squire & White on side 1 (first 3 tracks). Oh, and Myths & Legends too - which I find hard to pick which one of these is better - Myths or Journey.......
..............so as you can tell, I'm on a bit of a Wakeman bender LOL - I love re-discovering forgotten gems.
I hadn't spun my Wakeman LP's for quite some time, then you put up this thread and it got me thinking. 
I recall watching this show called 'Top Gear', and Wakeman guested on an episode.  I think he come in as one of the slowest drivers on the circuit run LOL - but I swear, if he wasn't a virtuoso keyboardist, he'd be a top comedian.............
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:21
Yeah, I really love Criminal Record too; indeed the first 3 songs are great, but the Judas Iscariot is just magestic too (though perhaps a bit overlong). As for Journey and Myths... I easily like better Myths. And about the comedian thing for Wakeman... I've been wanting to make a thread about funny prog facts (similar to the little known prog facts thread that's been going on for a while now)... starting with some Wakeman facts that I find really hilarious... but I haven't gone aroung to it. There's this piano DVD in which he tells the story of the day he went to play a concert... being drunk. He really messed up that one. And the response of the press the next day was the most amazing thing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 06:30
Yeah - a 'funny Prog facts' thread - great idea Thumbs Up
Oliver W. is nearly as good as his father. On the recent live Yes package 'Live In Lyon', if I wasn't aware that Oliver was on keyboards, I'd swear it was Rick !!
Would be funny to see Rick play whilst intoxicated. It just doesn't work. many have tried, and all have failed Wacko 
'White Rock' has many great tracks. 
'Judas Iscariot' is a fantastic piece indeed - gives 'Awaken' a run for its money. Rick gets the best mini-moog sound out of the lot of 'em.  Maybe it's his playing style.  Dave Stewart is still my 'No.1' keyboardist.
I hope you love 'tales From Topographic Oceans' - I've heard Rick thinks it's a pile of crap........(features some of his best work I think).   
Track 2 of 'The Six Wives......' is a mind-blowing track that just 'cooks' - Alan White is amazing, and the bass-work of Dave Wintour just blows - a rare moment of Rick and band jamming hard !! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>