Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help with Symphony X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 07:52
My favorites are Divine WIngs of Tragedy, V - The Mythology Suite and The Odyssey.  These are albums are more on the PROG side of metal than their latest albums, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, which I find to be more on the generic side of prog metal.  The three I've mentionned above are more varied, have as much keyboards as guitars on them and showcase some excellent songwriting as well as chops.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 15:37
Another band that you might want to check out is Seventh Wonder.

Someone has uploaded the entire Mercy Falls to YouTube. 

Or you can check out their 30 minute epic The Great Escape. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:22
Those are some big videos. I hope I have time to listen to them before this thread changes page again and becomes more difficult to find.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:50
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

My favorites are Divine WIngs of Tragedy, V - The Mythology Suite and The Odyssey.  These are albums are more on the PROG side of metal than their latest albums, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, which I find to be more on the generic side of prog metal.  The three I've mentionned above are more varied, have as much keyboards as guitars on them and showcase some excellent songwriting as well as chops.

There is nothing generic about Paradise Lost or Iconoclast. Those are easily their 2 most advanced, technical sounding albums. Fast and furious with some odd metering here and there. I'd almost classify Iconoclast as tech extreme sometimes. Anyway, I feel using the word 'generic' kind of undercuts those efforts by Mr. X
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I just got my first Symphony X album a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact, it was their last album, Iconoclast, since they had it available at the shop and I remember having read some good reviews about it. The thing is, I really like Prog Metal, though at the time the band I know (and like) best is Dream Theater, but I still want to get into some other bands, and as I had read, Symphony X is suposed to be among the strongest bands around. However, the thing is, I really didn't like Iconoclast, I found it almost as just another speed metal album (well, perhaps I don't know so many speed metal albums, anyway), and found little to enjoy about it. So, if there's anyone around who knows Symphony X well enough, should I stop here, or is there some chance that I may like some other album from this band?

My Friend, do not waste your time with Twilight of Olympus. I feel it's like 'filler' in their discography.

Start with Divine Wings of Tragety. It's where the band took off nicely and it Russel Allen's debute. Then, jump to Mythology suite and then get Paradise lost since you already caught iconoclast. Lastly, get the odyssey album. That is all you need my friend.

Symphony X really envoke the spirit of power metal with their prog metal niche. Enjoy. Oh and you'll notice that upon listening to Iconclast it is their heaviest, fastest release yet! A real gem.   
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 22:01
I think Iconoclast is brutal in a good way, really enjoy waking up to it on my morning commute.  It's audio coffee.  It's the only one I own currently.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 22:18
^I've woken up and started my day, b*****dS OF THE MACHINE and have learned that metal is very much a part of my being.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12