Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGnomonaut - heavy space prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gnomonaut - heavy space prog
    Posted: April 04 2013 at 08:13
Hi all. I represent the American band Gnomonaut, and we are currently working on recording our second album -  Psychonautic Caverns. It'll be due sometime this summer, but before then we'd love to get a couple more reviews for our first album, The Chronocosm. If any of you are interested, just let me know. Thanks!
Gnomonaut: Instrumental heavy prog/space rock. Check us out @ http://www.Gnomonaut.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:03
Its a great album! Gnomonaut are an instrumental space rock band hailing from the United States, with music that pierces the stratosphere with the dark clouds of Black Sabbath that are lightly sprinkled over with the sun showers of King Crimson cascading down. The album “The Chronocosm” even pays tribute to the Crims with a glorious rendition of ‘Red’, that is closer than most cover versions you are likely to hear. The cover of Black Sabbath’s ‘The Wizard’ is wonderful, even without those lyrics, that are replaced with a wah wah lead guitar effectively. The sax and brass sounds on this track gives it a jazzier feel, with its rock fusion of guitars meets brass, like souped up Mahavishnu Orchestra. The lead break screams with killer slashes and overall it is one of the great cover versions of the Sabbath gem. It fast became one of my favourites from the album with chilling riffs and heavy wah wah lead guitars.

Gnomonaut are reinventing these covers with their own unique brand of spacey Psych Prog. The intro of ‘Red’ is filtered with machine gun fire and bombs exploding providing a compelling backdrop and a fresh approach to the meaning of the song. A great deal of the tracks are open to interpretation due to the lack of vocals, though there are some sound effects to provide some semblance of a story that has something to do with an astronaut making his way around the universe and encountering the wonders of cosmic exploration. The album cover provides some clues but this is really music to soak the senses into; an aural explosion of interstellar ecstasy.

The album opens with the sounds of an astronaut preparing for a space walk and we hear the sounds of breathing reminding me instantly of the soundtrack of “2001: A Space Odyssey”. The computer network noise is reminiscent of the opening of Ayreon’s “Universal Migrator”. The hypnotic breathing and white noise hiss draws one into the music and a disconcerting drone hums along like some absurd Middle Eastern gathering, a hum sounding like the darker side of Therion. The ambient textures of Pink Floydian synths and atmospheric chimes add to the ethereal mood. A spacey guitar enhances the musical imagery. One can picture the astronaut making his way out of the hatch and gliding slowly towards the stars. This is the delightful ‘Bekajamir’ clocking 7:50, and this one entrances with its encapsulating beauty and solid wah wah guitar punches. It is an absolutely mesmirising track that grew on me after a few listens to fast become one of my favourite Space Prog instrumentals. One is reminded of Ozric Tentacles, The Ovals or Hawkwind and yet Gnomonaut have their own distinct sound and style.

4 stars!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 02:59
I liked the music so much I was inspired to make a few clips using the music. with Gnomonauts permission...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 03:17
and the latest - a flashy clip and a great instrumental.

Post Reply Post Reply