Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Articles on prog you found hilarious/outrageous?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArticles on prog you found hilarious/outrageous?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Articles on prog you found hilarious/outrageous?
    Posted: April 07 2013 at 04:31
Prog has always been a very divisive genre and while it has its great following, it also has its fair share of detractors and people who dismiss it or make fun of it, I was wondering if you have ever come across any articles/reviews/blog entires/lists etc. that were mocking the genre or a particular band and made you seriously laugh out loud or maybe just go "what the hell were they thinking?!" ... Well, post them here!

I got the idea for this thread after I stumbled upon this article yesterday and I thought it was really funny:

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 05:21
 "It was the first and only painting by artist Barry Godber, who died of a heart attack at age 24, shortly after the album's release. Draw your own conclusions from that."

Very bad sentence. I find it very stupid and offending. This is my coinclusion from that.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 05:57
I always liked the Cracked article on Prog - we have all seen it but here it is again - very clever and very true!

kit-kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 06:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

"It was the first and only painting by artist Barry Godber, who died of a heart attack at age 24, shortly after the album's release. Draw your own conclusions from that."

Very bad sentence. I find it very stupid and offending. This is my coinclusion from that.
That's indeed very stupid (not to mention inaccurate), but I had a good laugh at some of their descriptions, like the one about JT.

But yeah, that Cracked article is a good one, and hilariously spot on. LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 06:37
This is better. It's joking about the death of a 24 years old painter that's not very polite.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 08:28
Originally posted by kit-kat kit-kat wrote:

Prog has always been a very divisive genre and while it has its great following, it also has its fair share of detractors and people who dismiss it or make fun of it, I was wondering if you have ever come across any articles/reviews/blog entires/lists etc. that were mocking the genre or a particular band and made you seriously laugh out loud or maybe just go "what the hell were they thinking?!" ... Well, post them here!

I got the idea for this thread after I stumbled upon this article yesterday and I thought it was really funny:

"Van Der Graaf Generator may be rightly respected as one of the most unique and intriguing of the original English prog bands, but the cover of its 1970 record is dumbfounding"

Yet another example of hipper-than-thou journalists bigging up VdGG while deriding the genre as a whole (lots of instances like this; Crimson is another one that critics like to trot out as the exception -- it's usually the punk-approved VdGG and Crimson that it's "okay" to like with the media, who still see punk as the be all / end all). While I'm happy for VdGG that they've been spared the lambasting that prog takes from critics, it does get tiresome after a while. This particular article is so condenscending that it comes off as a case of "Methinks thou doth protest too much." I bet the guy's a prog fan, but his journalist peers in the office slam the genre and he doesn't want to be seen as unhip. Idiot.

That said, he does have a point about the Coheed and Cambria cover. That alone made me laugh and I had to agree with his assessment there!

Edited by bucka001 - April 07 2013 at 08:31
jc
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I always liked the Cracked article on Prog - we have all seen it but here it is again - very clever and very true!

First time I saw that......a bit over done and over the top.......kind of like prog itself.

Wink
I'm sure the GG fans are finding 'Tubes' recent  scathing reviews of Free Hand  and Octopus a bit...outrageous.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 07 2013 at 10:42
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:53
I'm sure most here know about the Uncyclopedia article as well; they even have an article about ProgArchives!
Magma America Great Make Again
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:59
Hi,

I have to admit that sometimes I really hate reading articles about "progressive music" ... or anything else.

That idiot that wrote the article on the covers, obviously has never seen a painting in his life, and never considered that "ART" has a massive history, which some of this work, obviously understood and appreciated a lot more than he did.

Maybe we should wire him down to a chair with electrical pulses, and have him stare at "Guernica" until he grows up and appreciates the art form and its work. And after that we will give him more electrical charges with Miro on the wall. After that ... we gotta use Yoko Ono's dot on a white wall ... absolutely perfect for an idiot like that! She had a point after all!

I tend to look at those, not necessarily as a "meaningful" painting all the time ... it's hard to take the cover of "Nursery Cryme" or "Foxtrot" seriously ... and sometimes it looks like making fun of it all, anyway ... and I like the "Acquiring the Taste" editorial, which to me is perfect ... and a serious comment about the music industry and what some folks have to do ... in order to be able to enjoy their "freedom".

For this reason, I always preferred the "Hipgnosis" covers, as they had a knack for a serious editorial about the music and the work itself ... which kinda said it all, about what was inside on the album! I do not think that Stormm and Hipgnosis were looking to end up at the Louvre with their work, though I can say, they have enough work that would improve the Louvre's sense of humor ... which it lacks! But then the British BS'r is not any better in London, when it comes to humor!

But there is an "intelectual" side of journalism that we need to be more a part of, and show up folks that do not even listen to the music, and trash it ... but we're still way too dependent on the fans, in order to make this better. The day we put together the history, the meaning and the life, that created the music, is the day, that "progressive" will make its mark ... and it will be bigger than most fads, because ... it was not a fad ... and we already have documented the "copies" that made it a fad. Those writers, will all die by wayside as silly and not even well focused on anything except their licking ... as exemplified in a cover ... calling it a fruit ... hahahaha!!!!!

My contention still is, that we simply need to elevate it with better words, more complete studies and details ... to make it clearer and make better sense of the work itself. Of all the reviews for the KC's first album, mine is the only that has enough "quotidian" content that makes an effort at a better sense of what the music was/is about THEN ... and too many of the reviews are so detached from the very life that brought it on ... it's like saying that Robert Fripp is so detached from life ... and he is not ... and the angers hurt him to the point where he has to stop playing just in order to find some peace inside! All of that music shows that emotion and then some ... but no one is listening to the wind! Or the tears i nhis Epitath! Or the insanity around it all!

Edited by moshkito - April 07 2013 at 11:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 16:52
@dr wu23 They're outrageously awesome! Clap If that's what you mean...
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 08:33
If it wasn't an Internet post, I would say this is the kind of article which ends in the recycling bin: it's just another written piece of "ha-ha-ha, it's soooo stupid and I'm so glad not to be dumb enough to like this stuff!"
Been there, done that, next one, please.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 08:43
I think Mark Prindle's reviews of the Rush discography are pretty funny, though they definitely have the potential to annoy or offend if you're not on his sense of humor wavelength.  Look it up if you're curious.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:53
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

@dr wu23 They're outrageously awesome! Clap If that's what you mean...

Yes..of course that's what I meant....

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 17:09
Quote Progressive rock is categorized by a sacking of traditional song structure, complex rhythms, odd time signatures and a sense of inherent superiority over other rock genres.

Not that the punk genre is immune to the latter characteristic.

Also, I don't like the way they described Tarkus. They never bothered to make a decent Pokémon joke.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:26
Originally posted by kit-kat kit-kat wrote:

Begs the question: how did the author of the article know that the ass of the buck-naked dude on the brain is firm?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I'm sure most here know about the Uncyclopedia article as well; they even have an article about ProgArchives!
Never seen that one.

“I think we need some mandolin around here.”
~ Mike Oldfield on music
“Pfff...Yeah, mandolin. How original.”
Ian Anderson on Mike Oldfield on music
“Underwater.”
~ Mike Oldfield on originality
“Oh...”
Ian Anderson on Avant-garde

Reading on further ... it's not that funny.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 08 2013 at 22:06
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 22:36
The entire article had me LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 03:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I have to admit that sometimes I really hate reading articles about "progressive music" ... or anything else.

That idiot that wrote the article on the covers, obviously has never seen a painting in his life, and never considered that "ART" has a massive history, which some of this work, obviously understood and appreciated a lot more than he did.

Maybe we should wire him down to a chair with electrical pulses, and have him stare at "Guernica" until he grows up and appreciates the art form and its work. And after that we will give him more electrical charges with Miro on the wall. After that ... we gotta use Yoko Ono's dot on a white wall ... absolutely perfect for an idiot like that! She had a point after all!

I tend to look at those, not necessarily as a "meaningful" painting all the time ... it's hard to take the cover of "Nursery Cryme" or "Foxtrot" seriously ... and sometimes it looks like making fun of it all, anyway ... and I like the "Acquiring the Taste" editorial, which to me is perfect ... and a serious comment about the music industry and what some folks have to do ... in order to be able to enjoy their "freedom".

For this reason, I always preferred the "Hipgnosis" covers, as they had a knack for a serious editorial about the music and the work itself ... which kinda said it all, about what was inside on the album! I do not think that Stormm and Hipgnosis were looking to end up at the Louvre with their work, though I can say, they have enough work that would improve the Louvre's sense of humor ... which it lacks! But then the British BS'r is not any better in London, when it comes to humor!

But there is an "intelectual" side of journalism that we need to be more a part of, and show up folks that do not even listen to the music, and trash it ... but we're still way too dependent on the fans, in order to make this better. The day we put together the history, the meaning and the life, that created the music, is the day, that "progressive" will make its mark ... and it will be bigger than most fads, because ... it was not a fad ... and we already have documented the "copies" that made it a fad. Those writers, will all die by wayside as silly and not even well focused on anything except their licking ... as exemplified in a cover ... calling it a fruit ... hahahaha!!!!!

My contention still is, that we simply need to elevate it with better words, more complete studies and details ... to make it clearer and make better sense of the work itself. Of all the reviews for the KC's first album, mine is the only that has enough "quotidian" content that makes an effort at a better sense of what the music was/is about THEN ... and too many of the reviews are so detached from the very life that brought it on ... it's like saying that Robert Fripp is so detached from life ... and he is not ... and the angers hurt him to the point where he has to stop playing just in order to find some peace inside! All of that music shows that emotion and then some ... but no one is listening to the wind! Or the tears i nhis Epitath! Or the insanity around it all!

HE has spoken.

/end of thread.

There's little quite as tragic as someone analysing humour as if it's meant to be taken seriously.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

HE has spoken.

/end of thread.

There's little quite as tragic as someone analysing humour as if it's meant to be taken seriously.

Sorry, I've never been a member of the Cambridge/Oxford comedian club, but I certainly have more of their work than you do! And I like it a lot! And yeah ... learned from it a lot.

But you got to admit ... my punishment was pretty well designed ... makes Clockwork Orange look and sound stupid when I got done!

Edited by moshkito - April 10 2013 at 14:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 14:15
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>