FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMisinterpreting the term "prog"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I got you the first time round, I know you are referring to the term.  But if you freeze the term prog from progressive rock, that implies that you have chosen to exclude some music as not befitting the term for whatever reasons.
Does. not. follow, ...other than trivially. 

All terms worthy of the name, exclude things. But as a marker , it excludes nothing definitively. You understand what a "definition" is don't you. It means it has limits(fine). That we must talk in words and words must have landing points called definitions, never implies that things aren't in many cases, continuous and fluid. 

That's one of the hard part about critical discussion, for emphasis and control of scope we must chop things up smaller than they might otherwise be construed to be. You can put one thing in a separate bulletpoint, but it doesn't mean it's totally unrelated to the other bulletpoints. 

Mainly, the thing that "prog" excludes is some sort of claim that this body of music is "progressive" by whatever critical standards of "progress". It's not meant to exclude music, but the unnecessary claim that each person who enjoys prog is a fan of whatever is deemed to be "progressive" at the time. 

But let's take your inanity on its face. You must mean certain things and not others when you say "progressive rock" because otherwise you wouldn't take Opeth or Dream Theater to be more indicative of progressive rock/music then say, The Fixx. Because if you exclude The Fixx then you "have chosen to exclude some music as not befitting the term for whatever reasons." It's a bad start when you say that excluding something from a category for some unspecified reason is questionable. 

But, if that makes me bad, then it make you bad. If it makes me exclusive, then it makes you exclusive. If you can't exclude any band or music from the term "progressive", then DT and Opeth aren't particular examples of "progressive rock", because all exclusion can be called into question to be in the same "judgmental" vein that you are implying. 

Now, I have no doubts that you can misconstrue a beaut out of that, since almost everything you have read into what I have written has been your own invention. 
-John
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 13:13
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I'm not really bothered by the label of 'Progressive Rock". I just love most of the music under this umbrella.

There are only a few real progressive rock bands anyway. It was really a phenomenom that died out around '74 or '75. By this time it had really more or less runit's course. The rest was rehash or something else. I heard an interview with Fish on a Montréal FM station back in '82 or '83 when they played here for the first time and he downplayed this progressive rock thing. He was actually saying that the band owed a lot to punk. I was at the show and it was like seeing Rush. There were tons of Rush heads there.

So, I guess like a lot of bands that fall under this unfortunate and inaccurate label. There was an article about the latest inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ( shame? ) and the journalist listed some bands who should never be inducted and referred to "progressive" rock as niether. I think he hit the nail on the head sort of unintentionally. It's just mish mash music. Let's just bolt anything regarless of style, rhythm, time signature, tempo and then put it to confusing lyrics and then the kids will go for it. That was the axiom back in the seventies. I guess it helped that guys like Emerson, the Shulman Brothers and others were learned musicians with at least some formal training.

Of all the prog bands I think Focus was just about the only one or one of the few  who really nailed the concept. They even mocked themselves with the novelty track Hocus Pocus. It was a fool around track that started with the drummer Pierre van der Linden smashing around on the kit with  Jan Akkerman throwing in a riff and then Van Leer adding some bizarre yodelling. Just read that this weekend in a book I found in my library that had an interview with TvL from the early seventies.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 14:53
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

So progressive is the incorporation of musical ideas that are extended from stated verse ofr chorus ideaswithin and then beyond standard rock.

Punk was regressive, new wave was the progressive from of punk as ambition in music cannot be stultified even by reactionary rock types (punk, grunge, 80s pop or the latest "classic" rock format - a comfort zone marketing device).

Still that is way too simplistic, as there are just as many simple things in "progressive" music as there are anywhere else. The difference lies in its CONTEXT, and what the music works for and around with ... and the time and place where this came up gave it a social theme that helped identify and explain what the music was about.

Thus, the punk, or the rap thing, are not regressive, since they are a part of the same folks that you and I were a part of ... and we should not punish them for their ideas ... it is "progressive" in their very own way ... just not what, GENERALLY, would be considered an "artistic" path.

Quote One other matter is the objective versus subjective appraisal. Very often someone thinks "it's good.  I like it". or the opposite for the matter.

To be able to define this as "MUSIC" that we want to make it important in the annals of music history, the appraisal has to go a bit further than the simplistic and totally subjective conversations that take place here ... but saying that music is "progressive" because the player is using a Ricky, is as bad and off the wall, and the type of discussion that will render this back to the kindergarten of what music is ... an instrument does NOT music define ... the PERSON and the WORK do! And we have to stop thinking of those kinds of idiocies that degenerate the intelligent studies and work about the solid music and work that was created by many folks ... to me, the YES, JT's, the ELP's and many others were the "classical music" of my time ... and some of the work they did was VASTLY superior musically, than a lot of classical music ... and I respect them as such.

There is no mis-interpretation of progressive, or prog. Only people that do not get off the "fan" stuff ... too much make up I guess! Embarrassed  ... and a lot of this is easily shown when you can take a piece or two from Gentle Giant, and many times you will find that the composition sense and design is far superior to almost 1600 to 1700 years of known music ... but the rock and bs fans do not have a historical sense or background to have any idea, how IMPORTANT that should be, but is being ignored because of the band they like so much! Doesn't mean I have to love GG, it's not one of my favorites, but the musical sense and design is out of this world and I have a solid appreciation for that just like I did for Frank Zappa 40 years before most people ever heard Penguins swimming around in the bondage of the progressive "definition" with the PA fans!  Confused

Edited by moshkito - April 15 2013 at 15:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 15:18
I guess the database would lose 3/4 of its bands if it were to bother with prog rock bands only.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

This is basically the same as saying "rock eventually fused with ska/reggae too", since again, punk is essentially just basic rock.
Naa, Punk is not the same as rock, punk is a part of rock, if you listen to basic rock bands from the early 60 to mid 60's, like Beatles Stones Kinks Animals Yardsbirds ect. ect, they sound nothing like Dead Kennedys or Six Pistols.
Actualy they sound very diffrent, just as diffrent as they do from Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, ect. 

True, they sound different enough in effect. I don't deny it's existence as a genre. However, it is a huge stretch to say that punk is as different from rock n' roll / garage rock than progressive is from all previous rock.

I would also say the late 60's Beatles music is clearly much farther removed from Elvis than punk is from... well, Elvis, actually.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 19:35
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

Does. not. follow, ...other than trivially. 

All terms worthy of the name, exclude things. But as a marker , it excludes nothing definitively. You understand what a "definition" is don't you. It means it has limits(fine). That we must talk in words and words must have landing points called definitions, never implies that things aren't in many cases, continuous and fluid. 

That's one of the hard part about critical discussion, for emphasis and control of scope we must chop things up smaller than they might otherwise be construed to be. You can put one thing in a separate bulletpoint, but it doesn't mean it's totally unrelated to the other bulletpoints. 

Mainly, the thing that "prog" excludes is some sort of claim that this body of music is "progressive" by whatever critical standards of "progress". It's not meant to exclude music, but the unnecessary claim that each person who enjoys prog is a fan of whatever is deemed to be "progressive" at the time. 

But let's take your inanity on its face. You must mean certain things and not others when you say "progressive rock" because otherwise you wouldn't take Opeth or Dream Theater to be more indicative of progressive rock/music then say, The Fixx. Because if you exclude The Fixx then you "have chosen to exclude some music as not befitting the term for whatever reasons." It's a bad start when you say that excluding something from a category for some unspecified reason is questionable. 

But, if that makes me bad, then it make you bad. If it makes me exclusive, then it makes you exclusive. If you can't exclude any band or music from the term "progressive", then DT and Opeth aren't particular examples of "progressive rock", because all exclusion can be called into question to be in the same "judgmental" vein that you are implying. 

Now, I have no doubts that you can misconstrue a beaut out of that, since almost everything you have read into what I have written has been your own invention. 

No, and that is the whole point, there is no hard and fast definition of prog rock.  You cannot come up with a suitable one to encompass all the prog rock of the 70s, let alone prog rock of today (but I'd like to see you try, nevertheless).   So either we can have a situation where some people of similar persuasion as yours make a definition and force it down everybody's throats or to work with a general idea of what could be prog.  

Please don't tell me that your attempts to make a prog rock definition that excludes are based purely on empirical considerations.  No, they are simply based on your impressions of 70s prog (and those impressions themselves may be too heavily influenced by that 70s prog which you liked and not all 70s prog) and you look for other music that seems to share its characteristics.   So on PA too people go by their gut feeling but without trying to limit what prog rock could be.   It is not a "thing", it is a genre of music and you will not convince me that it is dead or has stopped evolving.  That being the case, it would be a terrible thing to freeze what all can be understood to be prog because music subsequently released might contradict such a definition.  Also, anything that is based on gut feelings cannot be imposed.  It is only prog because the respective sub genre teams in PA say so, I absolutely don't have to agree with it.   But enough people agree in any case because not all bands are outliers and life goes on.

Furthermore, prog rock is not just a style, it's an approach  (else, please demonstrate to me the common stylistic aspects of Kraftwerk, Magma and Camel).  So it's not as if prog to include Opeth would have to exclude Fixx.  I don't even know who the latter are but if they release an album later on that has some of the attributes of prog rock, one would have to revise their position on Fixx.   So it's not fixed (!); as the genre keeps changing, so too our understanding of it evolves.   Freezing the term so that it no longer keeps pace with the changing hues of prog is not a good solution.  Rather, it is like imposing a definition for the sake of it. 

Edited by rogerthat - April 15 2013 at 19:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 13:26
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I guess the database would lose 3/4 of its bands if it were to bother with prog rock bands only.

I seriously doubt that ... in fact, I think it would gain many other bands ... but it might force some re-alignment.

The biggest offender, is a whole genre defined by a sound effect or two ... and I'm not sure that is a valid designation for a music genre ... let's take some Beethoven and add Phazing and Echo and then call it ... neo-romantic classical music? ... that's just bizarre, off the wall, and sick! And we're allowing that to happen, by some bands that are "supposedly" hard and dark, and there is nothing there ... unplug them ... empty as your stool when you get done ... now let's go back in time and unplug Pink Floyd ... then unplug Genesis ... then unplug ELP ... you still have it ... ohhh ... you can even unplug KC and still have a solid piece of music ... that connection needs to be made, because right now, all of these "progressive" and "prog" folks are not seeing that music history is anything except crap and garbage ... because it is not electric and does not have an effect, and worse, only on PA ... the bass is not a ricky! Even an article on "progressive" instruments ... and I can see both Stanley Clarke and Bootsie looking at each other and us and go ... ohh well ... or a Jaco for that matter ... it's not about the instrument or the sound ... it's about the composer and the artistry of the player ... and we have to come to grips with that ... and a sound effect is not enough!

Edited by moshkito - April 16 2013 at 13:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 13:33
 Too many bands here. People get confused by this site all the time. I mean what does The Mahavishnu Orchestra have to do with Split Enz QuestionErmm
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 16:01
Guitar + bass + drums = rock
Guitar + bass + drums + X = prog (Let X = any instrument other than guitar, bass, or drums)

I'm being entirely facetious here. There is no magical formula that can decide what is prog and what is not prog. But it's still fun to read reactions here. Cool
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 16:20
I'm a musician, and have been playing prog for over 40 years.  Prog is an attitude, a frame of mind.  

I could make killer prog with a kazoo (and did once, when I played Bloomdido's blazing sax solo from Gong's "Master Builder" from memory!  My friends were cracking up!!)

1:28 onwards....

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 16:37
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I don't know about 3/4 of the bands but many could be excluded...and there are others that could be included.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 16:38
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Too many bands here. People get confused by this site all the time. I mean what does The Mahavishnu Orchestra have to do with Split Enz QuestionErmm

Good question..........and we are back to what exactly is 'progressive rock'.
It is obviously very subjective.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 20:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Good question..........and we are back to what exactly is 'progressive rock'.
It is obviously very subjective.

Emphatic INDEED to both of your statements

Mahavishnu Orchestra was, at least in the 70s, an archetypal jazz-rock fusion band. In most fusion bands, the "rock" component had primarily to do with the usage of certain instruments that had come from the realm of rock (notably the electric guitar and electric bass). As for the music itself, it was undiluted electric jazz.  

As per PA, fusion is a "progressive rock subgenre". Prog and fusion sure do have one or two things in common (the complexity, the frivolous time signatures and such delicacies), but I am not sure if they are best described this way. Prog is typically better rehearsed, more predictable and often solemn. Fusion relies more on improvisation and is generally more jovial and upbeat. By the way, to my ear the Bruford-Wetton era KC is closer to fusion than to prog. 

BTW, why does the presumably excessive number of bands PA lists bother you?  

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 23:43
Wacko Ah -- the old PA argument that is never resolved, never goes away, is extremely subjective ("prog" or "progressive rock" having about as many interpretations as this forum has members), and is thus not worth arguing about.

I've said it often here before: it's a lousy way to categorize music for anything other than personal use. The so-called "category" (it's not a specific genre) is so diverse/inclusive/amorphous/subjective as to be near meaningless.

It meant something which was almost defined once upon a time, but these days (for those who claim to like it) I think it basically equates to "better" -- a subjective (if not arrogant) delineation if ever there was one. For those who deride it, it seems to equate to "weird," "overblown," "pretentious" "overly complex" -- and as those are also subjective concepts, perhaps those interpretations are as good as any. Ermm

I use the term, but I know what I mean when I say it.Wink  In essence, "prog" is what you decide it is when you make prog playlists for yourself on your Ipod. Tongue

Edited by Peter - April 16 2013 at 23:49
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 23:55

Geek I can answer that -- both bands featured male humans who were bipedal, roughly bisymmetrical, and equipped with handy opposable thumbs.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! Shocked
He chortled in his joy.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 04:11
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Wacko Ah -- the old PA argument that is never resolved, never goes away, is extremely subjective ("prog" or "progressive rock" having about as many interpretations as this forum has members), and is thus not worth arguing about.

I've said it often here before: it's a lousy way to categorize music for anything other than personal use. The so-called "category" (it's not a specific genre) is so diverse/inclusive/amorphous/subjective as to be near meaningless.

It meant something which was almost defined once upon a time, but these days (for those who claim to like it) I think it basically equates to "better" -- a subjective (if not arrogant) delineation if ever there was one. For those who deride it, it seems to equate to "weird," "overblown," "pretentious" "overly complex" -- and as those are also subjective concepts, perhaps those interpretations are as good as any. Ermm

I use the term, but I know what I mean when I say it.Wink  In essence, "prog" is what you decide it is when you make prog playlists for yourself on your Ipod. Tongue

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say but we all know that Prog is like Porn i.e. no-one can define it but everyone claims to know it when they see/hear it. Yes, some of us know what me mean when we say Prog, but I suspect that body of (cough) older people might reluctantly agree (like Vibrationbaby) that Prog, albeit  in a much narrower exclusive sense than that currently espoused on PA, was practically over as a cutting edge musical development by circa 1979. Don't mean to come across as negative but for me, I kinda agree with Peter that this acceptance or denial of the 'end of Prog' is the kernel at the heart of most debates round these parts y'all.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:36
^ Thanks for the quote, Lemming. Smile

I should perhaps clarify that while I think the term is fraught with difficulty in its use from individual to individual, and from one generation to another, the last time I checked I could find 99% of the music I'd historically considered "prog rock" on this exhaustive site, along with many other artists who were new to me when I joined, but which fit well within my personal parameters of "prog." (I imagine that is true for almost all of us.)

Now, in the site's efforts to be thorough, and pursue almost every linkage to, and permutation of, "prog," a LOT of other stuff gets listed here too. Sometime the link is obvious to me, sometimes it's not, but the reception of art is subjective -- YOU make the song (or painting, or book) "live." YOU give it its final meaning and flavour when it passes though your unique personal filters. We each put our own stamp on the art we take in. That is unavoidable and good -- that's why art resonates with us and moves us. Your reaction and mine and his are each different, but each is "right."

So this site is a good music resource, but the ultimate arbiter will always be your own ears and emotions. My advice to people who may be confused with the sheer scope and diversity of the site would be to stop getting hung up on terminology (which is always fluid over time and culture), and just accept that, with prog, "results may vary."

If you like "prog," much of the music you like is on here -- as is a lot of other stuff you may well enjoy if you sample it. (Though you won't like it all, or find that it all jibes with your personal prog definition.) That should be good enough.

Music is ultimately personal. It's okay if we differ. (We have to -- no one else is me.)   What it "is" cannot be found, defined, or pinned into place by our mere words. It moves, it lives -- it is a virus that mutates symbiotically within each host. It changes you -- you change it.

Stop talking -- listen. Fill your heart. Smile

Edited by Peter - April 17 2013 at 10:52
He chortled in his joy.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say but we all know that Prog is like Porn i.e. no-one can define it but everyone claims to know it when they see/hear it. Yes, some of us know what me mean when we say Prog, but I suspect that body of (cough) older people might reluctantly agree (like Vibrationbaby) that Prog, albeit  in a much narrower exclusive sense than that currently espoused on PA, was practically over as a cutting edge musical development by circa 1979. Don't mean to come across as negative but for me, I kinda agree with Peter that this acceptance or denial of the 'end of Prog' is the kernel at the heart of most debates round these parts y'all.

I'm gonna take this one home and just enjoy the heck out of it ... my neighbor at work is a guitar player in a band, and he always brings the Musicians Friend monthly with him, or I do ... and we always share the "music porn".

On top of it, there is more "porn" with a Fender Jazz bass, than a Ricky ... !!!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Music is ultimately personal. It's okay if we differ. (We have to -- no one else is me.)   What it "is" cannot be found, defined, or pinned into place by our mere words. It moves, it lives -- it is a virus that mutates symbiotically within each host. It changes you -- you change it.

Stop talking -- listen. Fill your heart. Smile

I kinda look it ... close to this ... there is one tree in the middle, and we all see it differently, and in the end it's just "angles" on that look, but THERE IS one tree, and it has its own entity ... but it is hard for any of us to describe that entity, as you say, we are not the tree and neither is the tree "us".

Taking this further, there is something else in heavy duty meditation that confuses people senseless and prevents them from contniuing their "meditation" studies ... when you reach the "light", you will no longer see any darkness, because you are "inside" that light .... and at that point you "are" the tree, (don't have to be) and your words carry some strength and weight that many people come to understand and appreciate ... however, in a place such as this, with so much cynicism (sometimes guilty!!!) ... and people just standing up for the band they absolutely love, and do not know why ... other than "love Dave's guitar solo" (it's not even the whole song then?) ... as an example of the rock fan like thinking ... and that is NOT exactly a discussion of music! We need to start addressing that a little bit to help define the music better! Not to change the colors that the tree has!

To me that is important ... my discussions on music are as objective as I can make them, because I can barely put words to them ... but me telling you that I think that Garry Moore's guitar solo is the craziest ever in "Spirit" in his first album, although not progressive, in the end, everything he does on that guitar solo is less rock oriented than it is "progressive" oriented, though he went with his feelings, instead of Steve Howe's scales!

But, honestly, if more people had a better understanding, or listening ability, to also include music that goes back 1000 years, I really think that their ability to define and place what we have come to call "progressive" would be a LOT STRONGER than it is now ... not to say that we have to have all "music journalists", but having all of these folks define it all in terms of the least able musicians, is not going to help put this on the map ... we have to be way better in describing the music, than what Chuck Berry is all about ... and my sense is that the only thing many of these definitions can tell you is that this is Chuck Berry with a chronfullametricggastrictone scale ... ohhhh ... with a Ricky on Bass! And at that point ... the whole thing is down right bizarre, not music anymore and it's meaningless ... and anyone can play it, including your own kid, if he doesn't tell you that dad is s stupid old foggie that likes that old crap!

But music history is more than just a "scale", or an instrument ... and until we formulate a massive study on that and show that it deserves to be now in music history other than just a nice memory ... I don't think we can get past these silly, bizarre, off the wall threads ... that have nothing to do with anything except some person's bored ideas that God is framed in a book, not in reality, or in life!

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2013 at 13:49
www.pedrosena.com
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 19:58
I'm gonna go out on a limb and think that "Progressive" is a very subjective term. Wink
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>