Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament
    Posted: April 09 2013 at 14:52
Well, it's been quite a while since I've been on here, but those who remember me know how I love to torment the haters!  WinkLOL
Today, Dream Theater won Loudwire's March Metal Madness tournament with their immortal album, Images and Words!  They started by beating the legendary Ronny James Dio and his album Holy Diver.  In the second round, they went on to beat Back in Black by AC/DC.  In the next round, they went on to upset the hopes of the iconic Judas Priest and their album Screaming For Vengeance.  Then, in the quarterfinals, against all odds they beat  Megadeth's metal classic Rust In Peace!  (Oh, you should've seen the facebook comments - priceless!)  Finally, they beat what is perhaps the most iconic metal album of all time, Master of Puppets by Metallica in the final round of the tournament!  It should be noted that on Facebook, Metallica has just barely under 30 million fans while Dream Theater has just over 3 million.  Quality beats quantity! 
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

And one final dig...remove that 20x weighting for the elites on your charts and see what happens, I dare you!  WinkLOL
MJAben View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:02
Yeah, I saw that, still kind of in shock that DT won the tourney. Have to be honest, I spent more time reading all the comments in that tourney than actually voting :)
The anteater is the worlds fastest land mammal.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:11
I thought it was fun watching the Megadeth and Metallica fans try to convince the DT fans as to why they shouldn't vote DT, and whining incessantly about it.  It was funny reading all the "how is this happening?!!!" comments.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:15
They won deservedly. To put images and Words up against Master of Puppets is like racing a porsche against a clapped out Fiat Uno. The serious competition, to me, would have been Holy Diver and Screaming for Vengeance. Metallica, to me, were a one trick wonder - they metalized Punk is all they really did. Sure, they're a major inspiration to thrash metal artists of today - you have to enjoy thrash as a mainstream to enjoy that and I'm not a lover of that side of the music world unless it's used sparingly for effect in hard prog music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:40
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:14
oooooo I see that it beat Sabbath's Paranoid album as well and I've always loved Sabbath dearly. However although it pains me to say it Images and Words is by far a better album although Black Sabbath was probably one of DT's fathers in almost the literal sense of the word. Sabbath - the father, Rush - the mother and Metallica - a cousin - seems to sum up DT's musical family history for me. Personally, had Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage been used it would have been a really tough call for me had I had the swaying vote - the same would have applied to Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny album. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:53
Well, Metallica beat Sabbath, not DT.  But by extension I guess you could say DT beat them too.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

And one final dig...remove that 20x weighting for the elites on your charts and see what happens, I dare you!  WinkLOL
Then the top 100 would be populated entirely by all those lesser-known albums with a single lone rating...

...and wouldn't that be bags of fun. Wacko
What?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:27
I do like Dream Theater much better than Metallica, and Images and Words much better than Master of Puppets... as a matter of fact, I have never understood the great love there is towards Master of Puppets... it doesn't even have any of my favourite Metallica songs, and many of the songs that are kind of OK on Master of Puppets seem like lesser versions of songs I actually like a lot from the previous or next albums. However, I guess somehow DT shouldn't have won, because whether I like it or not, Master of Puppets is by far the more important album within the metal world. As fact as I understand, the reason DT won was because one could come back every hour and vote again, so I'm guessing DT fans were hard at work voting and voting again while Metallica fans may not have taken the bother.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 19:11
Never heard about Loudwire. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 19:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Then the top 100 would be populated entirely by all those lesser-known albums with a single lone rating...

Here's the thing, Dean - I've watched one of my favorite albums slowly (painfully slowly) climb to the top of a yearly list after 3 years, with over 200 ratings.  And then a few weeks later when I went to show someone - surprise!  An album with 40 ratings was over it.  Because one collab and one reviewer had written 5 star reviews for it.  Tell me that's fair.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 19:53

Here's the thing, Dean - I've watched one of my favorite albums slowly (painfully slowly) climb to the top of a yearly list after 3 years, with over 200 ratings.  And then a few weeks later when I went to show someone - surprise!  An album with 40 ratings was over it.  Because one collab and one reviewer had written 5 star reviews for it.  Tell me that's fair.

Add to that this little corruption:
How does one acquire the ability to give ratings that are weighted 20 times?  They are given the ability by the vote of the other people who already have the ability.  Think of it this way - it is starting to become more and more apparent to the American people that the Republican party has simply gone crazy.  Even Republicans who are polled say in over 50% margins that the party is extreme.  But they have majority in Congress because of gerrymandering.  But this will only hurt them in the end, because they are overconfident that they will keep these seats, and they keep pandering to their "base" in order to win primaries, while turning the rest of the country off in a big way.  So eventually they'll lose.  But let's say, instead of having to win the vote of the people, the only way to get into Congress was for Congress to vote you in.  The House would slowly be overtaken by extreme Republicans and it would just become more and more extreme.  Do you see my point?
Not that I care anymore - I've pretty much completely lost the bug that drove me to want to write reviews anyways.  But this frustration might have contributed to that and I don't understand how anyone thinks this is fair.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 23:27

It's not, which is why, while the ratings here can be a useful guide, they should not be taken seriously as any kind of definitive list.  The idea that collaborators ratings count  for more than all of ours is nothing short of absurd, but hey, it's their site and they can do what they want with it.  But that doesn't mean we have to take the skewed ratings seriously. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 00:01
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

It's not, which is why, while the ratings here can be a useful guide, they should not be taken seriously as any kind of definitive list.  The idea that collaborators ratings count  for more than all of ours is nothing short of absurd, but hey, it's their site and they can do what they want with it.  But that doesn't mean we have to take the skewed ratings seriously.
Geoff, that's what more than one person said to you half-a-year ago.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 10 2013 at 00:01
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 01:08
Dream Theater wins, that's horse Censored. Images and Words ain't better than Rust in Peace give me a break. Nevermind it's a stupid F***book thing Head on wall

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - April 10 2013 at 01:11
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 01:27
I don't really like MoP, but I love I&W, so I'm happy with the result
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 06:09
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

The fact that other people admit this is absurd, but then say, with a cynical helpless tone, "oh well, we just have to live with it" is sad.  Don't you want the site to get better and to represent the will of the users better, rather than the will of the elite club who decide "the only way you get into our elite club is if your opinions match our opinions"?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 06:22

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

The fact that other people admit this is absurd, but then say, with a cynical helpless tone, "oh well, we just have to live with it" is sad.  Don't you want the site to get better and to represent the will of the users better, rather than the will of the elite club who decide "the only way you get into our elite club is if your opinions match our opinions"?

Is that the way you see it here? I must say I have never, ever been aware of  any such skulduggery. Basically. It isn't true. You are either mistaken or a liar or just  a troublemaker. I choose to believe you  are just mistaken.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 07:51
Ermm I see someone's still pissed they were not promoted to PR. Stern Smile
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 08:20

Add to that this little corruption:
How does one acquire the ability to give ratings that are weighted 20 times?  They are given the ability by the vote of the other people who already have the ability.  Think of it this way -
::rant::
Do you see my point?
Not that I care anymore - I've pretty much completely lost the bug that drove me to want to write reviews anyways.  But this frustration might have contributed to that and I don't understand how anyone thinks this is fair.

Oh, spare us the violin concerto, we're not falling for it. You're a Special Collaborator on the Metal Music Archives with all the rank and privilage that carries (erm, the same as here - duck all) - how they operate is exactly how we operate because 99% of the guys over there are also collabs over here - unless you are trying to tell us that MMA collabs have adopted dirty tricks and secret cabals that we don't know about. You have x20 weighting on MMA - quit moaning or quit.

Also, many of your reviews were cut'n'paste hash-jobs between the two sites - I fail to see how frustration on one site affects the unfettered access of another, so any lost bug for reviewing has little to do collab weighting.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>