Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgDay 2013! Chapel Hill, North Carolina,USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgDay 2013! Chapel Hill, North Carolina,USA
    Posted: April 10 2013 at 19:25
SimakDialog Plays ProgDay 2013!

"...the overall feel is one of exceptional band interplay, thoughtful harmonies and intelligent and creative production of art. ...it is thrilling to hear such compelling music that combines Western and American tonality and style while also utilizing Indonesian culture, traditions and instruments to speak in the universal language of music."
- Brad Walseth, Concertlivewire.com

SimakDialog began in 1993 and is somewhat of a cult band back home in Indonesia.  Being from a country with a rich and diverse culture, the band's music is unique in having an understanding of the rituals of temple music, as well as completely grasping the essence of the rock and psychedelic sounds of less ancient times. Driven by the communication between keys-master Riza Arshad and the exceptional Tohpati on guitar, simakDialog is a melting pot of western classic/jazz/rock and Javanese/Indonesian exotic rhythm/riffs. Join us as simakDialog brings its signature take on progressive music to the United States for the first time.

ProgDay is the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  ProgDay 2013 will take place on Saturday, August 31st, and Sunday, September 1st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 20:08
Great news! Congrats!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 00:12
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rkumar2veomit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 01:25
Happy ProgDay 2013, It is a great news. Handshake
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 13:05
THANK YOU SCIENTIST at ProgDay 2013!

"It's like Panic at the Disco on Steroids meets Frank Zappa on Acid meets Joe Satriani on 20 cups of coffee...Their sound is also highly original...like no one of the entire planet...but in a way that is 100% pure and genuine. If there was one phrase I would use to describe THANK YOU SCIENTIST it would be mind-blowing."  
- Markus Druery, INDIESHARK

THANK YOU SCIENTIST started in New Jersey in 2010.  Dubbed "The Top Unsigned Act in the Tri-State Area" after the release of their debut EP, the full-length Maps Of Non-Existent Places followed in 2012 and immediately secured the band's place as one of progressive music's great new talents. Since then this seven piece ensemble has been knocking people over with its musicianship, its turn-on-a-dime arrangements, and its swirling musical tidal wave of progressive rock, funk, fusion, metal, psyche, 60s pop and world music.  

THANK YOU SCIENTIST will join simakDialog (Indonesia) at ProgDay 2013, the nineteenth edition of the world's longest running progressive rock festival.  ProgDay 2013 will take place on Saturday, August 31st, and Sunday, September 1st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks! 

Michael 

--------------- 

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 15:27
SOUND OF CONTACT to Close Saturday at ProgDay 2013!

After making 3 solo albums SIMON COLLINS (son of musician PHIL COLLINS) decided to try something he had always wanted to do - a band of his own; a group of artists that shared a vision with whom he could collaborate musically and lyrically. That band became SOUND OF CONTACT. Featuring Simon on vocals and drums, DAVE KERZNER (SONIC REALITY, KEVIN GILBERT) on keyboards, and MATT DORSEY and KELLY NORDSTROM trading off on guitar and bass, SOUND OF CONTACT have created a sound all their own while paying homage to the greats of classic prog rock and electronica. With their debut release Dimensionaut, they hit the ground running with a deep concept album about a dimensional time and space traveler and his journey to expand the borders of the human experience.

ProgDay is pleased to announce that SOUND OF CONTACT will be closing out the show on Saturday, September 1.  The touring edition of the band finds JOHN WESLEY (PORCUPINE TREE, FISH) handling the guitar duties and the addition of RONEN GORDON on drums.  The band will be performing Dimensionaut in it's entirety and a few surprises along the way.

SOUND OF CONTACT (US) will join THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia) at ProgDay 2013, the nineteenth edition of the world's longest running progressive rock festival.  ProgDay 2013 will take place on Saturday, August 31st, and Sunday, September 1st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 14:03
It's good that Progday is being promoted on this site. I used to promote Progday on here when I was on the PD promotions team several years ago.

Anyway, this looks like a good lineup. I'm going to try to make it if I can.
prettyfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 01:05
Bonnaroo 2013: 14 June 2013, 11am, Great Stage Park, 2518 Hillsboro Blvd, Manchester, Tennessee 37355. Featuring: Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Bjork, WIlco, Pretty Lights, R. Kelly, Wu-Tang Clan, Daniel Tosh, The National, The Lumineers, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Passion Pit, The XX, Kendrick Lamar, Grizzly Bear. Here is a video clip from Pretty Lights - Around The Block
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 03:21
^ You should start your own thread concerning that festival. This is not the appropriate thread for that. 
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 12:20
MIRIODOR Performs at ProgDay 2013!

"What's left to be said about Miriodor that hasn't been said here and on just about every progressive rock review site throughout the web? Once heralded as 'Montreal's best kept progressive rock secret,' I think it is now safe to assume that the cat is out of the bag and people everywhere have come to realize that Miriodor is a musical juggernaut that just can't be stopped. With
Avanti!, the band's seventh release, they merely managed to distance themselves from the competition by an even wider margin."
- Yves Dubé, SEA OF TRANQUILITY

"What an amazing band ! I consider six of their seven studio albums as being essential... It's difficult to pick out a favorite because for me one doesn't really standout over the others, they're all amazing. A must for you adventurous music fans out there."
- Mellotron Storm, PROGARCHIVES

With a musical legacy that spans almost thirty years, MIRIODOR is one of the finest progressive bands to ever emerge from Canada. The band's debut immediately established an individual musical vision that has continued to evolve and mature with each release.  Whether this Canterbury/Experimental/Avant band is romping through whimsical, pleasant and accessible lands or turning its attention to more angular, darker, heavier territory, the trip is always intriguing and the musicianship is always jaw-droppingly proficient.

MIRIODOR will be making an exclusive and rare US appearance at ProgDay 2013 in celebration of its eighth album, Cobra Fakir, to be released at the end of the summer. The performance will feature material from the new release as well as favorites from the past.

MIRIODOR (Canada) will join SOUND OF CONTACT (US), THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia) at ProgDay 2013, the nineteenth edition of the world's longest running progressive rock festival.  ProgDay 2013 will take place on Saturday, August 31st, and Sunday, September 1st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 12:38
Great great signing. Woo woo.
Ian

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 22:31
Tickets For ProgDay 2013 Are Now On Sale!

Weekend and Patron passes are now available for advance sale on the Tickets page of the ProgDay website until August 20.  Single day passes may be purchased at the gate/door on the day of the show.

ProgDay 2013 is the 19th edition of the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  The festival will be held on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, at Storybook Farm, Chapel Hill, NC.  Confirmed acts for this year include MIRIODOR (Canada), SOUND OF CONTACT (US), THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia). More bands to be announced soon. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 21:26
PROGDAY PRESHOW on Friday Features ProgDay Alumni!

On Friday night, August 30, Local 506 will host a trio of performances by great bands that have played the main stage at past ProgDays:

• HALF PAST FOUR (ProgDay 2010) -
First band of the evening will be Half Past Four playing creative modern progressive rock that deftly straddles and side steps from one genre to another. The band will be performing material from the new 2013 release Good Things.

• DREADNAUGHT (ProgDay 2012) -
Dreadnaught will be up second, performing its unclassifiable mix of progressive rock, Americana, jazz, funk ...and that's just in the first tune! Dreadnaught will be showcasing material from the band's upcoming album Hard Chargin' to be released early next year.

• 3RDEGREE (ProgDay 2009) -
Finishing off the evening's performances will be 3RDegree.  Often compared to bands like IZZ and Echolyn, 3RDegree performs its "challenging music to play with a memorable, singable calling card," featuring material from last year's critically acclaimed The Long Division.

When established, ticket prices and start time will be posted on the PRESHOW page at www.progday.net.

ProgDay 2013 is the 19th edition of the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  The festival will be held on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, at Storybook Farm, Chapel Hill, NC.  Confirmed acts for this year include MIRIODOR (Canada), SOUND OF CONTACT (US), THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia). More bands to be announced soon. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's preshow and main stage bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 21:44
Excellent news.
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 21:56
I'll continue my earlier post of:

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 12:22
HERD OF INSTINCT Plays ProgDay 2013!

"The influences...well...look no further than the opening track 'Praxis' and you'll find 40 years of UK Prog and French exploration (in particular Crimso and Heldon) assembled into a melting pot that makes you gasp at its breadth and stature, quality and cohesion."
- DEAD EARNEST (UK)

Drawing its inspiration from wide-ranging sources that include multi-cultural music, literary clues, horror and cinematic film scores, rock, avant-garde, electronic, prog, and psychedelic music, HERD OF INSTINCT creates a style that is all its own. The Texas band began in 2007 and has since released two albums on DJAM KARET's indie label Firepool Records.  Though normally performing as a trio, for it's ProgDay performance the band will expand to a quartet to better capture the complexities of the studio recordings. HERD OF INSTINCT will be featuring material from the new 2013 release Conjure.

HERD OF INSTINCT (US) will join MIRIODOR (Canada), SOUND OF CONTACT (US), THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia) at ProgDay 2013, the nineteenth edition of the world's longest running progressive rock festival.  ProgDay 2013 will take place on Saturday, August 31st, and Sunday, September 1st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks! 

Michael 

--------------- 

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 15:30
Monstrously good signing, now got three bands I certainly want to see, makes it a no brainer for me. 
Ian

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 13:35
ProgDay Weekend: MÖRGLBL and HEPHYSTUS at Local 506!

We are pleased to announce that two great bands will be performing Saturday night of ProgDay weekend at Local 506 in Chapel Hill.

After turning in a powerhouse closing performance on Saturday of ProgDay 2011, MÖRGLBL, the incredible metal/jazz/prog trio from France, returns to ProgDay weekend with a Saturday evening show featuring material from their latest release, Brutal Romance.  HEPHYSTUS, one of the best kept secrets of the American progressive metal scene, will be playing music from its debut and the new forthcoming album Fragmenting Shadows.

For information about the show, and to hear music from both bands, please visit the Preshow page on the ProgDay website.

ProgDay 2013 is the 19th edition of the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  The festival will be held on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, at Storybook Farm, Chapel Hill, NC.  Confirmed acts for this year include HERD OF INSTINCT (US), MIRIODOR (Canada), THANK YOU SCIENTIST (US) and SIMAKDIALOG (Indonesia). More bands to be announced soon. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's preshow and main stage bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 13:39
Sound Of Contact Cancels

We're sorry to say that Sound Of Contact has cancelled their North American tour and therefore will not be performing at this year's ProgDay. Please check back later for more band announcements.

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 21:02
I heard that Oblivion Sun are now playing.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>