Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 115>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:08
RIP Maestro Frans Bruggen
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 23:44
Already a topic on this, but for those who might have missed it:

RIP Glenn Cornick.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastor Rex Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 04:21
RIP Stuard Gordon, friend and collaborator with Peter Hammill.

https://www.facebook.com/thinair

Edited by Pastor Rex Cat - September 01 2014 at 06:13
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 03:09
RIP Jimi Jamison (Survivor, Cobra): http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/01/jimi-jamison-dead-survivor/. A heart attack on Sunday night. He was 63. He had performed with the band on Saturday night in Northern California.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 08:58
Just read the article on CNN about Jimi Jamison.  That was quite a shock. 
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 13:14
Every once in a while, I enjoy 'sleeping with the enemy', especially if they happen to be Korean girl groups, so it was sad to hear about the LADIES' CODE van crashing, especially for poor EunB who died at the scene. 2 others in the group in critical condition, and the driver died too.

R.I.P EunB

Edited by Prog Sothoth - September 03 2014 at 13:15
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 11:45

Tragedy to see a young person go, but EunB wasn't a musician.  She was part of one of the most sordid businesses in the world - Kpop.  It's common knowledge how the girls get where they are, and what they do when they get there, but it's horrible how these kids are exploited beyond the obvious.  They are paid practically nothing, do the bidding of their agents at all costs, shill whatever is thrown at them.....and the music is the most god-awful amalgam of Jpop, US girl/boy bands, cutesy advertising, and full on expoitation.  This kid died in van going 130kph at 1:30am on an empty highway in the rain.  Her obit said the van was hurrying to get somewhere.....at 1:30am? 

The world must know - avoid Kpop like the plague if you value human rights in the slightest.  Please read up on it.....and stop the madness.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 12:13
RIP Argentinean rock start and leader of legendary Argentinan rock band Soda Stereo Gustavo Cerati. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:03

RIP Joan Rivers

Help me I'm falling!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:12
RIP. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:20
Like her or not, Rivers was a real rebel and a pretty funny lady. Meeting up with Robin now, I guess!  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 20:36
One of the other singers for LADIES CODE that was in critical condition finally succumbed to her injuries from that van crash.

I read that the tire came off the van and the airbags didn't deploy. The management claims that it was a rental and that their actual van was being fixed. Sounds fishy. Combine cutting corners like that with an exhausting schedule and something awful like this was bound to happen.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - September 07 2014 at 20:36
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 12:01
Truett Cathy, founder of Chick Fil-A restaurants, died this morning.  It's probably a pretty big deal in Atlanta.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 21:13
RIP John Gustafson, formerly of Quatermass, Hard Stuff, The Big Three, Baltik, Roxy Music, and others.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 22:11
John Gustafson also known for Simon Zealotes' role in "Jesus Christ Superstar" and the work with Roger Glover and Ian Gillan Band.

RIP
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 22:11
A Roxy bassist gone? 

RIP 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 14:38
RIP Richard Wright. DAMN YOU CANCER!!!!!
Progrockdude
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 04:52
RIP U Shrinivas, better known as Mandolin Shrinivas, whom the Western audience would be familiar with as a part of the last incarnation of Shakti.  He was however well known in his own right in India as a prodigious Carnatic musician who performed Carnatic music with an instrument - electric mandolin - that, in the words of John McLaughlin, was neither Carnatic nor Hindustani.  I had the privilege of watching Shakti a couple of years back and they both matched each other very closely and it would have been churlish to regard one as the better performer than the other, at least in that concert.  McLaughlin has hinted that it's hard to imagine a Shakti without him and indeed his unfortunate and untimely death - he was just 45 and the victim of a failed liver transplant - may have drawn curtains on the band for good. 

Edited by rogerthat - September 21 2014 at 04:54
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 13:05
Jazz giant Kenny Wheeler......RIP
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 21:48
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Jazz giant Kenny Wheeler......RIP
I imagine a lot of prog fans (I, at least) became acquainted with his work through Bill Bruford’s “Feels Good to Me” and his ECM releases like “Deer Wan” and “Gnu High.” Great talent.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 115>