Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 117>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 05:51
Yeah, I had forgotten Kenny Wheeler was on Feels Good To Me, I became first acquainted with him for his ECM work.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 02 2014 at 05:52
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 22:38
RIP Paul Revere, frontman of Paul Revere & The Raiders.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 16:17
RIP (a few days ago actually) Christopher Hogwood, among the pioneers of period performance practice. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 18:15
Geoffrey Holder dead: James Bond’s Baron Samedi dies, aged 84.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 22:52
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

RIP Paul Revere, frontman of Paul Revere & The Raiders.
On tonight’s Late Show With David Letterman, Paul Shaffer and the band played the first Raiders single Like, Long Hair in tribute to Paul Revere.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 02:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Geoffrey Holder dead: James Bond’s Baron Samedi dies, aged 84.
Damn Unhappy
RIP
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastor Rex Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 03:50

Edited by Pastor Rex Cat - October 19 2014 at 01:19
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleHauskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:29
R.I.P. Fantastic British producer and serious gentleman John Acock !!
John Acock co-produced nine of Steve Hackett’s solo albums.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-acock-mn0000214613/credits

This is from a recent post from Yellow Shark Recording Studios in England:
It is with great sadness that we have to report that one of our regular engineers and producers,John Acock has died after losing his battle with cancer.
John was a very good friend to Yellow Shark having been involved in many of our best sessions,he was a gifted sound engineer and producer having worked with many great artists.
We shall miss his kindness and generosity of spirit greatly and would like to take this opportunity to wish his family our sincerest condolences and sympathy at this difficult time. Jeremy, Malaki and Diten

I am a lifelong Californian guitarist from Los Angeles.I was in a famous Swiss progressive rock band Flame Dream.
John produced,mixed our albums on Vertigo Records Phonogram.
John was such a lovely clever,dry humored gent I got to know working with him
in a little Swiss village outside of Luzern called Weggis;also a fantastic studio in Geneva,Switzerland where Flame Dream mostly recorded at owned by Swiss legendary keyboardist Patrick Moraz.
John was always soo inspirational and positive with me as a young 25 year old guitarist.
John was a great man I always loved and look up too that taught me soo many things;and I am truly sorry I will not see him ever again.
John always told me to never stop playing guitar.

R.I.P. John Acock.
Many thanks John for teaching me as a youth...!!
Dale in sunny San Diego,California. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52-YiwokMO0

Edited by DaleHauskins - October 21 2014 at 15:30
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 12:59
Nothing whatsoever to do with prog, but singer and actor Alvin Stardust (real name Bernard Jewry - aka Shane Fenton) has died at home aged 72 surrounded by family after being diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11182106/Alvin-Stardust-dies-after-short-illness.html.

He had been peforming as recently as last Saturday at the Regal Cinema in Evesham, Worcestershire, and had been working on a new studio album - his first in 30 years - due for release next month. The album, Alvin, was billed as “a complete departure” from his Seventies sound, featuring producers who had worked with Robbie Williams and Michael Buble, and the singer said recording it had been “the best time I’ve had in years”.

The release will go ahead as planned. His spokesman said: "It is an extraordinary record. We have been playing it to people over the last few weeks and they thought it was Johnny Cash or Glen Campbell. Nobody guess it was Alvin. It is fantastic.

RIP.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:13
Rest in piece Jack Bruce, on of the greatest and most influentual bass players of all time, inspiration to so very many meldodic and dynamic bass-players all over the world.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:17
Yes...rest in peace Jack Bruce. Some amazing great rock n roll he recorded over his lifetime
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:28
Wow.....we lost Jack Bruce.What a huge loss,rest in peace Jack. Cry

Edited by TheProgtologist - October 25 2014 at 12:28

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 13:58
Sad sad about Jack Bruce. From his days with Cream to his early solo stuff (Things We Like, Songs For A Tailor) to his stuff with Carly Bley and beyond, he was one of the perfect bassists of our time. It feels like someone in my family has died.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 09:55
I'd been on a serious Jack Bruce kick for the past few years - I'd been hoping to catch a Jack Bruce show of any kind.....wot a musician!  He was a master bassist and sang like an angel.

I highly recommend the Spirit box set of BBC shows, especially the 1975 band with Carla Bley. 

Yeah, jammum, he's been on the turntable so often lately that I feel a personal loss. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 14:32
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Rest in piece Jack Bruce, on of the greatest and most influentual bass players of all time, inspiration to so very many meldodic and dynamic bass-players all over the world.

Agreed what a loss to music. The tribute that Clapton played at his funeral was moving.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 00:33
Cry R. I. P to my father - in - law...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 00:46
^ Condolences
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:10
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

^ Just heard from a friend.  What a drag.

I missed this one ... goodness.

All in all, and I enjoy The Doors as one of the best rock bands ever, I'm saddened to see this happen, but as is the norm these days (I'm almost 64), some of our best friends end up leaving us sooner or later, regardless of us liking them or not.

I thought he did great with the band, because Jim had the visions and the ideas and knew the road, but after Jim left us, Ray kinda lost most of these moments, and sadly enough, he turned down my being able to use 30 seconds of The Doors work, in an obscure moment from "an American Prayer" that no one plays, for a film. That, kinda killed the film for me, because the ending piece was the most important part of the whole film, and I had blown out the class and the professor with the film's visuals and it's choices of music and sound effects.

It's OK now, I'm not angry ... just saddened that some people can not understand a child's creation and inspiration, and they proceed to kill it, instead of helping it more. I would have gone on to do some videos for some Doors material, just for fun, and the one I wanted to do most of all ... "The Soft Parade". i wrote it down, and on that day I cried, I buried that script 6 ft under and that was that! Goodbye Doors and inspiration ... and I know who the real writer and poet was in the group ... Jim!

But your additions to the work was very nice indeed, Ray ... RIP!

Edited by moshkito - November 16 2014 at 12:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

RIP to legendary jazz bass player Charlie Haden. The man was a genius.

I wish that folks here could listen to "Magico" and "Folk Songs" with Egberto Gismonti ... so they could appreciate what a great bass player we lost.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 07:30
RIP Mike Nichols, great director whom many films i have watched, over the years admired.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 117>