Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 116>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 19:00
RIP Kelan Phil Cohran, jazz innovator, Sun Ra bandmate, and mentor to several members of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/06/29/spiritual-jazz-pioneer-kelan-phil-cohran-died-age-90/
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 04:09
RIP Pierre Henry, one of the pioneers of musique concrète and an inspiration for countless musicians. Cry

http://www.factmag.com/2017/07/06/electronic-pioneer-pierre-henry-dead-age-89-futurama/

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 23:04
Maurizio Zarrillo (Semiramis) suddenly passed away yesterday. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:44
R.I.P. George A Romero
R.I.P. Martin Landau

I loved the Dead trilogy. And really enjoyed Space 1999.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 16:37
Vitali Georgievich "Progressor" Menshikov
(31.10.1961 - 17.07.2017)

One of the finest people involved in supporting the progressive rock scene passed away yesterday: Vitaly Menshikov, founder and owner of the website www.progressor.net, a news and reviews site that started out around 20 years ago.

He was also the founder of http://progrockmuseum.ru, and the author of two books: "Encyclopedia of rock music" (1990) and "Encyclopedia of progressive rock" (1996), both books noted works in Russia and the former nations of the Soviet Union, by several quoted as legendary. He was also as a recording artist himself, his most recent album was a cooperation with US artist Jeremy Morris.

Edited by Windhawk - July 18 2017 at 01:24
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 23:48
RiP to one person whom opend the door for us searching for prog music and comunities
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 18:43
RIP to Chester Bennington, the lead singer to Linkin Park and for a brief time with STP.  I wasn't a big fan of LP, but I loved their first two albums and Hybrid Theory dominated at least a year of high school, where it seemed like everyone had that album.  Sadly, he leaves behind six kids. Cry
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 22:30
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

RIP to Chester Bennington, the lead singer to Linkin Park and for a brief time with STP.  I wasn't a big fan of LP, but I loved their first two albums and Hybrid Theory dominated at least a year of high school, where it seemed like everyone had that album.  Sadly, he leaves behind six kids. Cry
I really liked Hybrid Theory. I'm one of those who bought it. RIP
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 02:39
I wasn't a big fan of the band but I remember them from their first album onwards. I'm watching Scuzz TV tribute compilation as I type this.
His apparent suicide has shocked me as I had no idea, not listening to their music properly before.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 02:14
RIP Bernd Witthüser, one of German acid-folk innovators. 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 08:46

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progresssaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 08:07
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 12:04
RIP Brian Aldiss, Writer of the Heliconia trilogy and the short story 'Supertoys that last all summer' amongst many others. A fantastic visionary SF writer and one of the best post war british wave of Sci Fi writers along with Arthur C Clarke.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 12:18
Sad news. I have a coffee table book titled "Pile: Petals from St. Klaed's Computer" by Brian Aldiss and beautifully illustrated by Mike Wilks. It's a very intriguing literary venture where the writing illuminates the large scale black and white line drawings of Wilks, which bring to mind both Escher and Alan Lee.

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 21 2017 at 12:21
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 01:55
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 02:00
Image result for john abercrombie images

Edited by Atavachron - August 23 2017 at 02:01
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 20:03
Wow, so tragic.  One of the best and most innovative guitarists regardless of musical genre.  Timeless is indeed a timeless classic.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 01:46
Nanni Svampa, jazzist, actor and folk singer passed away yesterday. 
The swing starts after minute 2:10

Edited by octopus-4 - August 27 2017 at 01:47
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 12:19
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 17:17
RIP Holger Czukay
http://www.express.de/koeln/deutsche-rock-ikone--can--bassist-holger-czukay-tot-in-weilerswister-wohnung-gefunden-28364402

Words cannot express how sad i'm right now, one of the geniuses that made Krautrock what it is and it's consequences today, creator of one of the most creative and scary music i've heard(Canaxis 5), genius that even brought his insanity to the pop music he was creating these years.
Thank you Mr.Holger, you done great things for the history of the music. now he can go join Dieter Moebius, Florian Fricke, Edgar Froese and many others geniuses from his time in heaven.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 116>