Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 115>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 20:42
Russ Solomon, Tower Records founder, passed last night.   He outlived his business.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 20:17
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

RIP Tom Rapp of Pearls Before Swine.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearls-before-swine-band-mastermind-tom-rapp-dead-at-70-w516656

Just learned about this.  Pearls Before Swine was one of my favorite “discoveries” of the 80s (yes, the 80s).  “These Things Too” was an amazing atmospheric recording, though perhaps a bit heavy on the reverb, with new subtleties presenting themselves on each listen.  RIP Tom, and thank you.

Edited by AreYouHuman - March 08 2018 at 20:18
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 16:31
R.I.P.  Craig Mack.

I'm not a big lover of rap. I mostly like 'old school' and of that I like a total of about five rappers. Craig Mack was one of them. He died yesterday of heart failure. If you know him it's probably by way of his 1994 hit "Flava in Ya Ear". R.I.P. (below the un-edited remix version)
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 22:17
^ RIP

As well, RIP to Stephen Hawking

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 22:21
"It's a pity that nobody has found an exploding black hole. If they had, I would have won a Nobel prize."  -- Stephen Hawking

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 13 2018 at 22:21
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 02:46
Didn't like Hawking, he was pompous with questionable theories.   But peace to him.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 03:12
Questionable theories, maybe. But let's not forget that Stephen Hawking was also credited as a guest vocalist of Pink Floyd.

RIP.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 07:29
'All we need to do is make sure we keep talking'.

RIP
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 21:52
Stephen Hawking revolutionized theoretical debates in science. Fertile imaginations are what lead to new discoveries. He also dislayed a brilliant and uncanny ability to overcome disability. For that alone, he will be remembered for eternity. RIP

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 16:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Stephen Hawking revolutionized theoretical debates in science. Fertile imaginations are what lead to new discoveries. He also dislayed a brilliant and uncanny ability to overcome disability. For that alone, he will be remembered for eternity. RIP

Hear, hear! A man who was told at the age of 21 that he could expect to be dead of motor neurone disease in 2 years manages not only to live to 76 but develop, hone and utilise one of the most fertile, fearless and expansive minds seen in our generation.. 

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 17:16
R.I.P. Keyboard Cat
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 10:15
R.I.P. Cecil Taylor. One of the trippiest avant-garde innovators.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 19:12
^RIP. Loved his music sensibility. Took us away from endless chord tones - good thing.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 13:21
Did anyone mention Mike Harrison, lead singer of Spooky Tooth? He died March 25, which was two weeks ago, and nobody mentioned him! A great vocalist and keyboardist, his soaring high notes grace one of my favorite vocal performances, "Evil Woman". He should have had more success with Spooky Tooth, they were a great prog band that was a little before their time; I also want to give Harrison's solo career some recognition: he had 3 great 70s albums.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:14
RIP Milos Forman, great Czech-American filmmaker.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:25
Rip Loved Amadeus
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:32
oh yeah man. .didn't he do the Larry Flynt movie...   loved that one. Anyhow.. RIP man..  enjoy the other side it damn well better be better than this side. I'm counting on it at least...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 17:04
^ One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was his best movie, I guess.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 17:07
best?  I think that was more on Jack and Louise Fletcher who made that movie... I thought the Flynt movie was more on Forman. It could have been a disaster in other hands...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 14:32
R. Lee Ermey

http://americanlookout.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/r-lee-ermey.jpg
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 115>