Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 115>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 14:19
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

Danny Kirwan June 8. Peter Green partner featured most on Then Play On.

yeah.. whose passing was dully and earlier mourned by his small but fanatical fanclub here..  one of the few guitarists who is instantly recognizable by his unique playing.

Then Play On was great.. but think he really came into his own after Green and Jeremy left Mac. His work on the early Mac/Welch albums is really some amazing stuff.

Here was a nice tribute done prior to his passing.. but it bears a post... as who could do Kirwan like the amazingly hot and sexy and just so slightly talented Reine Fiske hahah.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:44
OK, I had not read the posts. I was a big fan about 1969. I missed all the chances to see that band in 69 and 70. I was too young to get to some club in Helsinki in 68-69 when they were part of the Blues boom. Later I watched them on TV in Chicago when they were some 25 miles away at the Playboy club, bunnnies walking around, I think it was live on TV. I was in high school. Somehow they missed my college towns in the Christine-Danny-Bob Welch years.

Edited by Tero1 - September 15 2018 at 05:45
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 16:01
Maartin Allcock multi-instrumentalist and former member of Fairport Convention and Jethro Tull passed away on September 16. An extremely talented musician.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 16:51
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Maartin Allcock multi-instrumentalist and former member of Fairport Convention and Jethro Tull passed away on September 16. An extremely talented musician.

Saw Maartin with both Fairport and Tull. Fantastic multi-instrumentalist. Definitely will be missed. Here's one of his compositions....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 02:11
^ Likewise. Very versatile, talented and multi faceted musician; Fairport was always full of fun, jokes and smiles when he was in the line up! RIP Maartin.

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 19:25
RIP Marty Balin
Time to jam some Jefferson
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 20:11
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

RIP Marty Balin 
Time to jam some Jefferson

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Dammit. There's a voice that could not be duplicated. I get the feeling he didn't always fit in well with the others in that band, but there is no Jefferson without Marty, to me. 

Thanks Marty for so many songs.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 21:58
^Yeah, I was thinking of busting out "3,5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds" right away, but my nostalgia got the better of me and went for Starship's "With Your Love" instead from the underrated Spitfire. I always dug that tune, and I didn't even know it was by them for some reason until early this decade (thank you Soundhound plus a 24 hour donut shop). Damn.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 05:35
ouch.. RIP Marty... 

What a voice... and what a character. Another member of the 'wasn't cheated in life' club.

Airplane/Starship marathon today...

Edited by micky - September 29 2018 at 05:35
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 05:47

RIP to both Martin Allcock and Marty Balin. Just too sad! Cry

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 03:57
Started a Balin thread, because I didn't see this one

Otis Rush as well RIP
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 10:20
Rest in peace to one of the most important danish rock musicians, rip Kim Larsen.

Remember seeinh him at Roskilde, was quite memorable.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 01:47
RIP Chahnour Aznavourian aka Charles Aznavour.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 04:07

Beatles recording engineer Geoff Emerick dies age 72. Emerick engineered the albums Revolver, Stg. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road.

the Beatles, has died aged 72 following a heart attack.
John Lennon asked Emerick to make his voice sound like “the Dalai Lama singing on a mountain”, as Emerick told Variety last year.

Of the invitation to work with the group, Emerick told The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions author Mark Lewisohn: “That took me a little bit by surprise! In fact, it terrified me … The responsibility was enormous but I said yes, thinking that I’d accept the blows as they came.”

Giles Martin, son of the late Beatles producer George Martin, described Emerick as “one of finest and most innovative engineers to have graced a recording studio … We have all been touched by the sounds he helped create on the greatest music ever recorded.”

Midge Ure, whose band Ultravox worked with Emerick on their 1982 album Quartet, called him “a lovely, quiet, unassuming man who helped change the way music was produced”.

Emerick also worked on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Beatles (AKA The White Album). He briefly quit working with the group during the White Album sessions due to his unhappiness with the tense studio atmosphere. “The expletives were really flying,” he told Lewisohn. However, Emerick would mix songs on the Yellow Submarine album and returned full-time – at Paul McCartney’s request – to work on Abbey Road.

Emerick later worked on various McCartney solo albums, including Band on the Run, for which he won a Grammy. Emerick also worked with Kate Bush, Elvis Costello, Art Garfunkel, Split Enz and Judy Garland.

Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles. “What might have been a dry accounting for gear heads pulses with ‘Damn, I didn’t know that!’ narrative glee,” wrote Rolling Stone. However, fans criticised Emerick for dismissing George Harrison and Ringo Starr’s contributions to the band, calling Rubber Soul “not especially noteworthy” and the White album “virtually unlistenable”.

Abbey Road Studios MD Isabel Garvey described Emerick as “a true pioneer of the recording industry”. “His contribution to some of the world’s greatest musical recordings and his impact on popular music and audio technology is immeasurable.”

The British duo Field Music paid tribute to Emerick’s development of the studio as an instrument. “As much as anyone, Geoff Emerick ushered in a new era of recording, where the studio was a tool to be used and abused, as long as it led to making something new. If all he’d ever done was record Revolver, Sgt Pepper’s and Abbey Road, he’d still be one of the very greatest recording engineers there has ever been.”

Edited by SteveG - October 03 2018 at 04:16
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 05:10
^Sorry to hear of this. In prog circles, Geoff Emerick had mixed the tapes for Triumvirat's Spartacus album in the spring of 1975. RIP.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 11:04
Motserrat Caballe (85) R.I.P. - a great Spanish diva

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 13:02
RIP John Cunliffe, creator of Postman Pat and Rosie & Jim; at very least for the great joy his programmes brought my daughter growing up :)

Image result for John Cunliffe

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - October 06 2018 at 13:05

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 16:57
Rip to a person whom have brought many generations adventures with that jolly Postman
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:16
^^ We do like our British children's TV nostalgia, Cosmiclawnmower! My children liked Postman Pat, but I always looked upon it as a natural successor to that wonderful Camberwick/Trumpton/Chigley rural idyll of my childhood. However, personally I loved watching Rosie and Jim with my daughter even more - that Romany/Canal lifestyle was strangely alluring for a 9-5 man!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 14:35
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^^ We do like our British children's TV nostalgia, Cosmiclawnmower! My children liked Postman Pat, but I always looked upon it as a natural successor to that wonderful Camberwick/Trumpton/Chigley rural idyll of my childhood. However, personally I loved watching Rosie and Jim with my daughter even more - that Romany/Canal lifestyle was strangely alluring for a 9-5 man!

ClapEmbarrassedThumbs Up That pretty much sums it up for me!

The other tv programme my daughter loved was Bodger and Badger.. we saw them 'live' (she really wanted to be a puppeteer when she was about 7) on a number of occasions including at Glastonbury festival and Cropredy! Apparently Badger loved mashed potato(!!?!)ConfusedWacko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 115>