Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 117>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 09:51
I always remember the great - also late - George Carlin's riff on Ali's refusal to fight in Vietnam:

"He talked about the injustice of Muhammad Ali's banishment from boxing for avoiding the draft — a man whose job was beating people up losing his livelihood because he wouldn't kill people: "He said, 'No, that's where I draw the line. I'll beat 'em up, but I don't want to kill 'em.' And the government said, 'Well, if you won't kill people, we won't let you beat 'em up.' "
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 09:58
"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother or some darker people or some poor, hungry people in the mud for big, powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me n****r, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Poor little black people and babies and children and women. How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail." — Muhammad Ali

I don't care about boxing or any sports but I respect him for his anti-war stance.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 10:03
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother or some darker people or some poor, hungry people in the mud for big, powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me n****r, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Poor little black people and babies and children and women. How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail." — Muhammad Ali

I don't care about boxing or any sports but I respect him for his anti-war stance.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of boxing but that has nothing to do with how much I admired and respected Ali.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 12:44
^ indeed.  I just tried to make that point to Raff over pizza and ..perhaps.. a few too many high octaine beers.  I asked her point blank if she, as a European, undestood just how important, how special that man was. She had to note that she woke up this morning to find me at the computer.. tears in my eyes.. watching a youtube clip of his fight against Foreman. Tears of emotion. An admiration of beauty that music can often inspire. Watch that if you haven't seen it recently. He wasn't pretty.. he was beautiful.

Anyhow. I don't think she does. How can you if you are not from this country.

Anyhow.. feeling no pain.. nor any compunction for making my views known (even in a crowded restaurant) I compared him to todays current crop of atheletes who of course flooded social media with their admiration.

bullsh*t.. find me one athlete willing to throw his livelihood away, even risk it, to stand up for what is right in the name of all that is wrong.  Anyhow.. I guess the guy sitting next to us agreed. As he left.. he interrupted my tirade.. and gave a me a 'hell yeah' and a thumbs up.  Said today it is all about the money... hell yeah it is.

Edited by micky - June 04 2016 at 12:51
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 23:19
RIP Trent Gardner, of Magellan, Explorer's Club and other projects. Of the latter, "Age of Impact" is probably my favorite progressive rock metal album of all time. The rest of his output is very uneven.

RIP
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 02:45
RIP Henry McCullough (Sweeney's Men, Joe Cocker, Wings a.o.). He passed away yesterday aged 72.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 22:56
RIP Bernie Worrell, keyboardist, key member of Parliament-Funkadelic, and touring musician for Talking Heads.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 23:08
Big loss. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 06:35
R.I.P. Bernie.

DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleHauskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 03:33

Scotty Moore († 28. June 2016)
American guitarist Winfield Scott "Scotty" Moore II
Scotty Moore,Elvis Presley's First Guitarist, and pioneering rock guitarist who was a member of Elvis Presley's original band has died,aged 84.

He died in Nashville on Tuesday after several months of poor health.

Scotty Moore is credited with helping Elvis shape his music that came to be called rock'n'roll,and inspired generations of guitarists.

Moore was the last survivor of a Elvis's original band which included Presley,bassist Bill Black and producer Sam Phillips.

Keith Richards from The Rolling Stones once said: "Everyone else wanted to be Elvis,I wanted to be Scotty."

http://www.noise11.com/news/r-i-p-scotty-moore-guitarist-for-elvis-presley-1931-2016-20160629

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scotty-moore-elvis-presley-guitarist-dead-at-84-20160628

http://www.scottymoore.net/
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 15:19
Michael Cimino (director, age 77)

So I've never seen the infamous "Heaven's Gate".  Am I missing an unheralded masterpiece?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

RIP Bernie Worrell, keyboardist, key member of Parliament-Funkadelic, and touring musician for Talking Heads.

Been spinning a lot of Parliament and Funkadelic past week.......Cry
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 17:35
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

So I've never seen the infamous "Heaven's Gate".  Am I missing an unheralded masterpiece?

RIP

Heaven's Gate... well, above all it's a beautiful film. Gorgeous cinematography, and I'd say that every scene is in its own way pretty and engrossing. I think that the issue with it is that some of the scenes are overlong if not unnecessary, but in the moment you wouldn't want to cut even a single frame. The Criterion Collection release of the film is worth a try.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 18:10
Originally posted by DaleHauskins DaleHauskins wrote:

Scotty Moore († 28. June 2016)
American guitarist Winfield Scott "Scotty" Moore II
Scotty Moore,Elvis Presley's First Guitarist, and pioneering rock guitarist who was a member of Elvis Presley's original band has died,aged 84.

He died in Nashville on Tuesday after several months of poor health.

Scotty Moore is credited with helping Elvis shape his music that came to be called rock'n'roll,and inspired generations of guitarists.  Moore was the last survivor of a Elvis's original band which included Presley,bassist Bill Black and producer Sam Phillips.  Keith Richards from The Rolling Stones once said: "Everyone else wanted to be Elvis,I wanted to be Scotty."

Huge.   Page loved him.   Was rock 'n roll for several years.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 20:46
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

RIP

Heaven's Gate... well, above all it's a beautiful film. Gorgeous cinematography, and I'd say that every scene is in its own way pretty and engrossing. I think that the issue with it is that some of the scenes are overlong if not unnecessary, but in the moment you wouldn't want to cut even a single frame. The Criterion Collection release of the film is worth a try.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try sometime, I love films that look great

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 20:52
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 08:36
Syd Barrett died 10 years ago (07-07-2006) Cry
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 11:04
And I just so happen to have a copy of Wish You Were Here nearby.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 11:39
Wow, Michael Cimino.....I remember when he was the young hot shot who'd just won the Oscar for Deer Hunter.  Didn't make a successful movie after that.....in fact, his final movie - the horrible, horrible Sunchaser - went straight to video.  Still, if only for Deer Hunter.....thanks, Mr. Cimino and RIP.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 11:47
Cheers Syd/Roger and a thanks for so much listening pleasure from your 3.1 albums.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 117>