Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 115>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 15:32
Englewood Cliffs, NJ......how many absolute classics did RVG produce there?  He was working up until the early 2010s.....Rudy had a great run.  Thank you, sir.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 15:46
And now let's all drop acid and watch Willy Wonka......R.I.P. Gene Wilder.  Very few could play the everyman run amok like Mr. Wilder.  Remember the sheep fetishist in Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex?  Or the whiskey-addled ex-gunslinger in Blazing Saddles?  Or the nervous accountant in the Producers?  Or Dr. Frankenstein (pronounced Fronk-eh-steen)?  Or those seriously underrated comedies he made with Richard Pryor in the late 70s and early 80s?  He basically dropped out after his wife Gilda Radner passed in '89.....R.I.P. to both and thanks for the laughs.  
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 17:58
Oh, that's a shame.   One of my movie heroes, such an original character.   He was the creative force behind Young Frankenstein, not Brooks.   And I agree the Wilder/Pryor films were very good.

Farewell, Gene, thank you for my childhood.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 15:04
RIP Prince Buster, ska and rocksteady pioneer.

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 14:39
I just found out that two founding members of one of my favourite bands - the Hungarian legend Omega - died in previous months:

Tamás Somló (bass, July 19) and
József Laux (drums, August 6)

I was very afraid of this moment... Cry Thankfully, the current line-up (since 1971) is still intact.

And I can't see any mention about the passing of Roye Albrighton from Nektar on July 26. Nevermind, I found the dedicated thread.

Edited by Tuzvihar - September 12 2016 at 14:44
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:29
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

And now let's all drop acid and watch Willy Wonka......R.I.P. Gene Wilder.  Very few could play the everyman run amok like Mr. Wilder.  Remember the sheep fetishist in Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex?  Or the whiskey-addled ex-gunslinger in Blazing Saddles?  Or the nervous accountant in the Producers?  Or Dr. Frankenstein (pronounced Fronk-eh-steen)?  Or those seriously underrated comedies he made with Richard Pryor in the late 70s and early 80s?  He basically dropped out after his wife Gilda Radner passed in '89.....R.I.P. to both and thanks for the laughs.  

I know this post is dated but what a legend.  Been watching most of his movies as an honour to such a funny guy.. It was a shame Pryor was such a boozer and party animal.  He was originally casted to play in Blazing Saddles but failed to show up for his scenes.  He was later then replaced.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 05:50
Stanley Dural Jr. (aka Buckwheat Zydeco) past away over the weekend.  A music legend of Louisiana roots music, he was 68.  R.I.P.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 05:55
Cry RIP man.... way too young.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 07:50
horrible news about that Marlins pitcher...he was a potential Hall of Famer. Talk about way too young. To think of all the stupid things we've done and walked away from.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 06:20
Fernandez had an arm....and a great career ahead of him.  Miami loved that kid....escaped Cuba, fought thru the ranks, made the bigs with bullet, then tragedy. 

Then there's Arnold Palmer.....not a golf fan, but I once read that even at his height of fame he only made about 40k a year on the golf tour.  Granted that's a lot in 1965 money, but nothing compared to what even the 50th ranked golfer makes these days.  Arnold used to drive his big Buick around the country to attend tournaments.  He used to sleep in motels and eat motorway food.  Far cry from the 5 star hotels and gourmet restaurants of today. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 13:57
Very sorry to hear of Palmer's passing this morning. A true great of the game, who can, rightly, have claimed to have set the standard for modern coverage of the game.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 15:32
RIP Andrzej Wajda, one of the greats of Polish filmmaking.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 23:49
^Rest in peace! A fantastic director as well as a great human being. In Poland, we all really love him and so many actors and other directors now recollect what a magnificent man he was. A legend!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 08:46
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 22:15
Today marks the 39th anniversary of the Skynyrd plane crash, in which we lost two of Southern Rock's greatest: Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines.

May both rest in peace. 

Seems a little ominous that just three days before, they'd released Street Survivors, which contained both of these songs:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 12:13
The curse of 2016 strikes once more: Pete Burns RIP
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 12:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The curse of 2016 strikes once more: Pete Burns RIP

Only 57

Also, Bobby Vee, an icon to many of my father's generation, and not forgetting the joint creator of Dad's Army. It has been a very miserable year.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:44
John Zacherle

If you're not from New York City or Philadelphia, PA this may be a stretch but John Zacherle has pasted away at the age of 98.  This guy was a cult legend in the late 60s and early 70s.  Mostly known as the ghoulish host of mostly B-horror movies.  But most surprisingly from that start he became one of NYC's most well known DJs on (IMO) the best ever FM radio station, WNEW-FM.  In Philadelphia he was more known as the host of an afternoon show that again featured B-horror movies.  In NY my friends and I would go to concerts in NY and after the show switch on WNEW-FM and Zacherle for the ride back to Jersey.  I will miss him.  R.I.P.

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:43
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 12:31
I liked Omega very much.  Played them on SPACE PIRATE RADIO and the other DJs thought I was insane.  Perhaps they were right.  But my life seemed richer for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 115>