Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson's voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Anderson's voice
    Posted: April 20 2013 at 10:41
I was at the TAAB2 tour too, and his voice was quite weak actually, he couldn't sing almost any high pitched note, but he's still a great flute player and entertainer...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 10:52
Originally posted by icmrocha

I've always thought that Ian's voice, from 87 until recently, suffered, more because of his breathing than his actual singing (not sure if I made myself clear here...)

Listen to Locomotive Breath Live, for instance (on recent tours); It looks like he's having troubles catching his breath..
Confused

Breath management is pretty fundamental to singing and a singer would generally regard singing as an extension of proper breathing.   I would have to listen to that to understand his exact problems but if a singer's voice is not co-operating, he might try to power through his attack.  That only adds to the strain and consumes a lot of breath, leading to panting or inability to hold back breath to complete the vocal phrase. 

EDIT:  I just found a clip from 2007 and yes he sounds like he's breathing too heavily to sing but that effect comes from a weakened voice.  The singer tries to push it harder to get a powerful tone and sounds strained in the process. If Ian Anderson had general breathing problems, he would struggle to play the flute.  Instead, he actually plays the flute better here than in some 70s performances I have come across. 

Edited by rogerthat - April 20 2013 at 10:56
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89

A good diet and healthy living habits really help keep a singing voice intact for many, many years. Some people are blessed with an amazing voice that not only sounds amazing, but continues to do so for decades. Unfortunately, not all singers are this lucky, so if they pursue the life of heavy drinking and/or smoking, there are great risks down the road. I remember reading an article/interview with James LaBrie of Dream Theater on this topic, and him explaining what he does to keep his voice in top shape.As for what is going on with Ian Anderson's voice, I haven't a clue. I haven't listened to anything he's sung after the early 90's studio stuff. If he is/was a heavy chain smoker as some have stated here, than I don't find it at all surprising that lifestyle has come back to bite him.

James LaBrie is a huge model of consistancy for my ears. I hear he drinks alkaline solutions to sooth his throat! Pretty interesting. He is one of my gods for sure. Really like Ray Alder as well. His voice has really matured nicely over the years. :)
Over many years exploring the world of Dark-Gothic Progressive Rock/Metal has been an unbelievably great experience. Colour me Goth all over! I'm hooked.
saber4x View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Quote saber4x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 14:20
 I think part of the problem is he doesn't have enough WIND from smoking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12