Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three - Underrated??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: And Then There Were Three - Underrated??
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 20:36

Listening to this album, while I see signs of a more pop direction, still has tons of progginess in it, and I genuinely think it's one of the bands best. I don't see why this album seems to be the target of criticism lots of the time, and I'm curious to get opinions on it as aside from reviews I couldn't find much discussion.

Please move this, just realized I was in prog polls and not discussion.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - April 17 2013 at 20:37
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:17
Many people on this site love this album, but I am not one of those people. In fact it is probably my least favorite Genesis album.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:27
Nope, it's at least as bad as most people think it is
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 22:50
Nope, it's rated properly 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:00
It hasn't aged well with me--some of the proggy songs are okay but -it's missing something that could have made it great---Hackett.Wink
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:04
I like it quite a bit.  I saw this one in concert, and Daryl Stuermer blew me away!  Beats the hell out of "We Can't Dance"!
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:14
I think it is one of their strongest albums for me, having played out their earlier stuff as a teen.  The synthesizer
work on this album, and guitar, seems pretty unique.  I like all the glissando.  I haven't heard as much of it
done so well on any other album anywhere. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:28
Progginess or not, it just doesn't do anything for me. 
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:39
I opened this expecting to see a poll...considering it is in the poll section. Good job.  Clap

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 00:02
It was my first Genesis album so I have a real soft spot for it. It was brand new when I got it. At the time I wasn't really aware of their history, or that earlier albums included Steve Hackett or Peter Gabriel, so I didn't have that preconceived notion that they were barely a ghost of what they were. So I was able to appreciate it for what it was and not what it could have been.

I don't know if it's underrated, it seems pretty highly regarded here anyway. I'll say at least the vinyl pressing I had suffered badly from thin groove syndrome. It was almost an hour long, beyond the limits of vinyl, so the bass is lacking. Some of the songs sound terribly thin, especially the denser ones like Undertow. But I did, and still do like some of the songs a lot. I even liked Snowbound and Say it's Alright Joe, recently mentioned in the "Cringe" thread.

Many Too Many and Undertow are both beautiful ballads and Burning Rope and The Lady Lies are cool.

It doesn't stack up to anything with Hackett in it though. There's hardly any guitar on it except for Rutherford's trademark arpeggios.

Then I got Selling England and found out what real Genesis was.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 00:10

I loved this album from the moment I heard it (my memory is a bit sketchy here, but around 1988-89) - still enjoy it after all these years.  Sure it's more streamlined, but still enough Progginess displayed to be appreciated as a very good, if not excellent, album.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:00
No.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:13
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

It was my first Genesis album so I have a real soft spot for it. It was brand new when I got it. At the time I wasn't really aware of their history, or that earlier albums included Steve Hackett or Peter Gabriel, so I didn't have that preconceived notion that they were barely a ghost of what they were. So I was able to appreciate it for what it was and not what it could have been.

I don't know if it's underrated, it seems pretty highly regarded here anyway. I'll say at least the vinyl pressing I had suffered badly from thin groove syndrome. It was almost an hour long, beyond the limits of vinyl, so the bass is lacking. Some of the songs sound terribly thin, especially the denser ones like Undertow. But I did, and still do like some of the songs a lot. I even liked Snowbound and Say it's Alright Joe, recently mentioned in the "Cringe" thread.

Many Too Many and Undertow are both beautiful ballads and Burning Rope and The Lady Lies are cool.

It doesn't stack up to anything with Hackett in it though. There's hardly any guitar on it except for Rutherford's trademark arpeggios.

Then I got Selling England and found out what real Genesis was.

Sounds similar to my story!! Yep, this was the first album that fueled my Genesis Journey. There's power to the synthesizers that make this album classic. Listen to the intro of Deep in the Motherlode, the build-up of Snowbound... Sure the songs are catchy, but is that so bad? Still full of prog, elaborate compositions, strong drums.

I've loved every song on this album except for Follow You Follow Me. Not that it was a radio hit, I just find it dull and boring. Why this as an album-closer? After such a high-and-mighty album, why close it with a slow piece like this? Wind & Wuthering closed with the peaceful Afterglow, but in that case it worked perfect. Suppose there's no cohesiveness between the songs in ...And Then There Were Three... that's why FYFM doesn't work... Hm, just a thought...

And Then There Were Three deserves an average rating of around 3.75, so yeah, I'd say underrated. May not be essential to any progheads, but a fantastic composition of magical music. Genesis was still riding the wave. Not as strong as the Gabriel-era, (of course) but there's magic behind Trick, Wuthering, Three, and Duke. Once ABACAB came out, all bets were off for Genesis, but that's a whole other story.

Edited by Raccoon - April 18 2013 at 01:15
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:37
Terrific album....Phil never sounded more busy and complex, and I don't think Rutherford ever contributed such a great guitar solo as on `Burning Rope'. The odd average moment here and there, but a wonderful album overall that I very much cherish
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:47
For me Collins was at his peak on this album and pretty much takes it by the scruff of the neck both singing and drumming wise. Shorter tracks but tons of energy and only Follow You Follow Me is a bit of a downer. I get very annoyed though with the assumption that shorter tracks = pop. Also I don't mind romantic lyrics which seems to offend some. You could argue that this was the start of 'neo prog' and was certainly a massive influence on IQ who are one of my favourite bands.  I rate it 5 out of 5 although I'm not as beholden as some  to the Gabriel era in my mind. I prefer the 4 albums they made 1975-1980 to anything else they did bar Foxtrot.

Edited by richardh - April 18 2013 at 01:48
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 02:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I get very annoyed though with the assumption that shorter tracks = pop

Richard - SPOT ON
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 02:33
Side 2 has some cool tunes and there's a couple of cool outtakes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 03:35
I love it. It's probably my favorite album after Selling England.
Maybe not a very proggy album, but the songs are very good, the lyrics are excellent, there's intensity and great soloing, and I love the Hipgnosis artwork. 
I remember that several of my friends, and I, became real Genesis (and prog) collectors after listening to this album.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 03:47
I have just listened to it again for the first time in ages - the first time I've played any Genesis for some time.

And, much to my surprise I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Then I put on Selling England and all became clear.

If Genesis had never had Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett in their ranks; if they had never made the stellar albums from Trespass to Wind and Wuthering, And Then There Were Three would be considered an excellent debut.

But they did those earlier albums and ATTWT just is simply not as good as they were. Not a bad album by any means, but just not as good as what went before. This probably explains why some younger listeners rate the later stuff so highly; they have never heard of the earlier stuff because it doesn't get any radio play (Planet Rock rarely play anything from the quintet's days).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:19
It's a collection of very well crafted pop songs that certainly doesn't warrant being pilloried in the way it habitually is on PA. Although not really my thang y'all, I'd choose good Pop over bad Prog any day of the week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>