Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three - Underrated??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'd choose good Pop over bad Prog any day of the week.

Well said. Clap
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:29
Never   was  a  favourite of mine. The first genesis album to  dissapoint me. Hackett was so  evidently missing. They lost that soundscape he seemed to provide.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:10
One of my favorite Genesis albums, with several of my favorite songs of theirs.  I won't go so far as to say it's "underrated" because that would presume that everyone else should feel like I do.  Which they should, but I'm not going to come out and say that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:11
^ but erm....you have anywayWink
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:14
'Progginess' - what an awful word. Confused

I like ATTWT quite much, it's definitely more consistent than "Wind & Wuthering", whose Side A doesn't impress me a lot as a whole.

"Scenes From A Night's Dream" is incredibly good art pop, "Undertow" is a gorgeous ballad, "Burning Rope" and "Down And Out" could be the best keyboard-driven progressive rock which is played on cheesy late-1970s keyboards. The narrative lyrics, especially in "Deep In The Motherlode" and "Down And Out", try too hard to be compelling stories, but turn out quite cheesy in the end... but they don't hurt me a lot.

Still, I'm getting more and more dissatisfied by the 2007 remix. Way too much compression, especially the drums in "Undertow" are ridiculously loud and crashing. Suppose the original LP gets the best out of this very good, but unexpectedly 'American'-sounding record.

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 18 2013 at 07:17
All in all each man in all men
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

No.
Agreed
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:42
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

It was my first Genesis album so I have a real soft spot for it. It was brand new when I got it. At the time I wasn't really aware of their history, or that earlier albums included Steve Hackett or Peter Gabriel, so I didn't have that preconceived notion that they were barely a ghost of what they were. So I was able to appreciate it for what it was and not what it could have been.I don't know if it's underrated, it seems pretty highly regarded here anyway. I'll say at least the vinyl pressing I had suffered badly from thin groove syndrome. It was almost an hour long, beyond the limits of vinyl, so the bass is lacking. Some of the songs sound terribly thin, especially the denser ones like Undertow. But I did, and still do like some of the songs a lot. I even liked Snowbound and Say it's Alright Joe, recently mentioned in the "Cringe" thread.Many Too Many and Undertow are both beautiful ballads and Burning Rope and The Lady Lies are cool.It doesn't stack up to anything with Hackett in it though. There's hardly any guitar on it except for Rutherford's trademark arpeggios.Then I got Selling England and found out what real Genesis was.

It was the first Genesis album I ever heard too, and partly for that reason I love it too.

I can understand the rating it has here when sat alongside the rest of the bands albums, being reviewed by die hard proggers. For me personally it's a very solid 4 star effort. I still play it quite frequently.

I'll never forget the first time I heard Down and Out. The deep pulsing 5/4 beat and the swathes of synth. I'd not really heard anything like that before. This was about 1985, and I knew Collins would become one of my favourite drummers based on his performance in that song.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 07:50
When I first heard that 5/4 riff on "Down and Out", particularly Phil's drum part, I thought my record was skipping. LOL

Edited by HolyMoly - April 18 2013 at 07:51

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:30
The unusually long playing time of the record worked out well for me because I used to put my records on one side of a C-90 cassette, which was 45 - 50 minutes, just right for most records. This one is over 50 minutes long, so it cut Follow You Follow Me off after about the first 2 seconds of it. Just enough!

I think the put it at the end to say "This is it, folks! from here on this is what you're gonna get." I didn't like Duke.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:52
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

When I first heard that 5/4 riff on "Down and Out", particularly Phil's drum part, I thought my record was skipping. LOL

Me too--it's one of my fav songs on the album--I just think Mike's attempt to do Hackett style guitar work is thin---Hackett's input could have made this album great---especially if songs like Say it's alright Joe-and Emo, etc would be cut to be replaced by Hackett songs.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:01
"Hey, there's a Snowman..."

"Scenes from a Night's dream, poor little Nemo!"

No, this album is definitely not underrated.

ATTWT finds Genesis as a new trio, not knowing exactly where to go or what to do. It's a transitional album, somewhere between prog and pop, neither side assumed, so neither side accomplished. In fact, this is probably my least favorite Genesis album.  Duke, which came after, was more on the pop side, but at least it was assumed, and it was a damn good pop album with some slight prog elements.

Goes to show how much Hackett's departure hurt Genesis a whole lot more than Gabriel's departure ; A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are among Genesis' best works, and then there were three... indeed !

In fact, I'll listen to WaW right now, come to think of it !

Edited by Melomaniac - April 18 2013 at 09:03
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:02
Only song I REALLY enjoy on this one is Down and Out. The rest ? Meh...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:02

It's funny you should say that. I remember playing that song to two people, convinced it would really impress them, and that's the first thing they both said! The record is jumping!! I was quite disappointed by their reaction, but I guess I can see why they said it..
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:16
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Me too--it's one of my fav songs on the album--I just think Mike's attempt to do Hackett style guitar work is thin---Hackett's input could have made this album great---especially if songs like Say it's alright Joe-and Emo, etc would be cut to be replaced by Hackett songs.
I'll be the first to admit that there's a few songs on this album which I don't really like and usually skip.  "Say it's Alright Joe" and "Many too Many" in particular, and sometimes "Snowman".   But the songs I do like are among my favorite Genesis songs - "Down and Out", "Undertow", "Burning Rope", and "Deep in the Motherlode" would all be high on my list.  I agree with you that Hackett's presence is generally missed, though.  Banks fills in a lot of the space with keyboards, and those take some getting used to.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:19
I sometimes skip Snowbound, Scenes from a nights dream & Ballad of Big, but the rest I really like even Follow you Follow me..
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:48
Great one.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:06
I love it, and it is one of my favorite Genesis albums. It is special to me.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:32
I fell on And then there were three last year.I've always dug Peter Gabriel's Genesis but I wanted to discover another side of Genesis and I really enjoyed the experience.Burning rope delivers the goods!It's a very good mix of well crafted pop and 1st rate prog.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:35
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Never   was  a  favourite of mine. The first genesis album to  dissapoint me. Hackett was so  evidently missing. They lost that soundscape he seemed to provide.
I agree, never been a big fan. Duke is much better.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 11:11
A very good album, "yes". One of their best, "no". Underrated on PA, " Certainly".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>