Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 14:15
Originally posted by ArturdeLara ArturdeLara wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I wonder on one thing

can neurology or neuro therapy used to deal with psycologic ilnesses

btw i do not have depression that much, stress and angst is my issues

Well, I guess it depends on the causes behind the depression. Some depressions are purely physiological, caused by a reduced production of the neurotransmitters related with pleasure. But others have an exterior cause (sometimes life's a Censored). In this case I don't believe drugs are useful, even if they seem to solve the problem, because they don't go to the bottom of it, and just mess up with your mind and poison your body. Hey, at least the pharmaceutical companies make one hell of a profit out of people's misery, so at least someone is happy Stern Smile.
<p ="Msonormal"><s><o:p></o:p></s>

A story broke today that GSK the pharma company behind the antidepressant Seroxat, paid their competitors to hold fire on producing cheaper generics, so they could hang on to the market monopoly for the lucrative drug.

Guardian article

The contraversial SSRi known to have increased suicidal tendencies in some teenagers, was one the companies most widely prescribed AD drugs. By paying rival companies to slow down production of generics, they were able to charge the NHS their inflated prices for the drug.

Disgusting.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 14:22
Don't get me started about drug companies.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 17:28
I had depression years ago, but it went away on it's own.
But i am kept busy by about a dozen other permanent, incurable (but controllable) medical conditions, some requiring medication on a permanent basis. Yeeha.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:30
^That's some mess, I hope you will get better in the future.

On the previous topic, GSK have been charged many times before, for a number of unethical things such as marketing drugs not tested on youth to specifically young people, to a different mental disorder than they were tested, etc. etc. I do not have the least of trust in that firm. Many big drug companies distort the research by creating multiple, some times dozens of trials on some experiment just to get those two that "show" the positive outcome of the treatment. The other 37 which did not show a positive effect or even showed a negative one are of course never spoken of. And I wouldn't take SSRI's myself in pretty much any condition, now that I know how they work. Saying that depression is caused by a lack of dopamine in certain pleasure regions in the brain, because increase of dopamine in those regions causes an increase of pleasure, is like saying that problems in self-confidence are caused by lack of alcohol in the brain, because increase of alcohol causes an increase of self-confidence (at least for a short period of time, but neither do the antidepressants have much long-time effect). Depression is always an issue much more complex than the plain neurochemistry, although that plays a part in it too. I don't really want this to become a debate whether drugs are useful or not, since this is a topic about experiences, but since the question came up I thought I'd say what I had in mind.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 22:04
I don't know that I've ever experienced legitimate depression but I have been in a funk quite a few times. But my wife has been depressed since before we started dating and it effects her very heavily. She talks about our relationship like it's a given it will go on only as long as she is able to stop herself from killing herself, and as if I will inevitably find another girl and love her. She often says things like "After I'm gone, you can find a girl that does/doesn't <negative comparison to herself>". She experiences positive moments the same way I experience negative ones - only when there is a really good cause and only for a short while. I love her to pieces but it can be hard, and lately she's been in a very dark area. She for the most part does not harm herself (never when I am around, which is both good/bad) but last year she came very near to harming herself badly and we've been taking her to see help since ... but she believes she has reached the limit of what that help can do and even though she is on meds, her mood is still wildly unpredictable and prone to sudden darkness. Lately that has been projected on me more than before, when a small misstep on my part (like tonight I accidentally put too much water in the rice) leads to her getting so upset she will not look at or talk to me, and if I ask her what's up, she gets mad at me.

I can see that she is hurting and I do everything in my power to help her out and improve her mood and support her and guide her towards things that might improve her mood, but lately she has been unemployed and around the house a lot by herself, both of which I know are bad when you are depressed ... but I cannot talk her into doing otherwise, nor lead her, and when she takes a defeatist attitude, sometimes after years of trying to help her get better, I begin to understand where she's coming from, which is what scares me most. Like when she says that death doesn't scare her because it's a release from pain, I'm reaching the point where I sometimes feel that maybe she is right.

But I don't entertain those thoughts long and I certainly would never aid or support the decision of her taking her own life. It's more a matter of, after all these years and getting her help and meds, I really don't know what I can do to improve her life, especially because it has to come from her and there doesn't seem to be much that she is willing to do. (Ironic, because her sister went through a similar thing last year and she was very judgemental of her sister and the way her sister didn't really do much to improve her situation). 

Anyway small rant, I know what I need to do, I need to encourage her without pushing her to take small steps, one at a time, to make decision that will get her out of the house and around people again, to get her to face her fears head on and overcome them (right now she won't even go to the grocery store across the street with me because the idea of doing so fills her with so much anxiety) so that she can take positive steps towards being happy, instead of staying in all the time and relying on me for pretty much all of her happiness (which is hard on both of us).
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 22:13
Gazz, wow man, that is heavy....please accept my best wishes dealing with those issues.  I am confused though.....the part about her not wanting to go across the street......didn't you guys just go on big vacation is Asia?   Did that go OK?

In any case honestly, I wish you strength and success helping herHug

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 22:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Gazz, wow man, that is heavy....please accept my best wishes dealing with those issues.  I am confused though.....the part about her not wanting to go across the street......didn't you guys just go on big vacation is Asia?   Did that go OK?

In any case honestly, I wish you strength and success helping herHug

Big trip in Asia is something we've wanted to do for a while and that actually did boost her spirits while we were there, they have tumbled since we returned. The grocery store across the street thing is actually localized to literally just that one grocery store (I'm not entirely sure the reason why, she worked there until she had a breakdown after she started seeing her therapist but she says it's not because of that). 

Thanks for the wishes Hug
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 22:21
Oh, OK....its good to hear the trip went well.  I saw some of the pics you posted and it looked really great!

I wish I could give some good advice.  I did help a friend through a similar period of darkness....literally looked me in the eye and asked why he shouldn't kill himself...my answers were not connecting, that's a terrifying feeling and place to be....

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 02:32
Gazz, that's very sad, I wish you both all the best.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 03:17
^Hugs. That is a very difficult position you're in Gazzardian, but don't give up. I think you're going the right way in this, and it seems you are a great husband for her to have.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 03:38
I have a history of depression/dysthymia and I do have some small experience with dealing. I know some people really do get a boost from mood-altering drugs (SSRIs) but I don't think it's that ways with me. I'm an introvert and most of us here probably are. I think a lot and I inwardly focus my thoughts to the point of neuroticism and negativity sometimes. And I was a little suicidal for awhile.

Anyway, what I find works for me when I'm feeling particularly negative is that I've been low before. Incredibly low. Suicidally low. Throw a glass at the wall low. Empty a bottle of scotch low. But now I feel better than I have in years. They key is to keep looking forward, and to know that "all things will pass." It's the most basic consoling method anyone's mother would have used in childhood, and it's true. Keep pressing on. It will be unbearably hard for days or weeks but sometime you'll talk to an old friend or the sun will come out at the right moment, or a song will come on the radio that will make you like listening to music again. But you have to try. I have to slap on a smile most days for my job, and it helps, believe it or not, in lifting my mood even when I feel like screaming.

Beyond that mindset, I found no better remedy than engaging people. Humans are social, and there's no telling what kind of impact a stranger or a friend might have on your mood unless you talk to them. Withdrawing is a slowly crippling action and it's one of the worst things someone who is depressed can do.

Besides antidepressants, I would recommend across the board for anyone feeling depressed:

1) Eat healthy
2) Exercise (even a 10-minute walk out in the open will do)
3) Initiate a conversation
4) Reflect, but don't be negative or blaming. Think about your situation as objectively as possible. You've seen bad times, you've seen wonderful times, you know they'll be back again.

Repeat daily.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 07:54
^^ Great advice.  Easier said than done, of course, but if anything works, that will.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 07:56
Gazz, my condolences for your situation.  Your description of it really hit home because it reminds me of a situation my good friend was in, and it's a painful memory to recall.  Best wishes. Hug

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 08:30
Thanks for the well wishes all Hug
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 12:24
The issue I face with my story is the judgement from others who insist it is a common conspiracy theory.  It's not moral to react with that kind of scepticism. In the case of many famous conspiracy theories ..I personally have a great disbelief in their presentation like many sceptics do. In the real or small world of the logically thinking it is knowledgeable that there are 2 sides or 2 versions to almost every story. When solving a crime..a detective is faced with leads which are vital to conclude the mystery. After extensive investigation and interrogation of witnesses the detective must have a possibility to further investigate. That procedure is even more involved because you must now locate people who were friends with the victim or perpetrator to confirm or loosely connect any truth existing to the statements made by the main suspects in the case. So you spend 2 years ploughing through lies and distractions attempting to prove a very likely possibility which differs from the story printed through the publications industry. In point these sceptics are holding the word of the press over the word/results of magnificent police work. Why do people trust a journalist to that degree? In one sense the sceptics mawk the press and claim conspiracy theories are nothing less than hype..but on the other hand they place importance on locating an old newspaper article of a so called urban legend to justify that the crime is in fact not a mystery...  when really a majority of the time what is defined in a newspaper as the final chapter or determination of a criminal case  is an agreement/ decision  made by a judge and jury and the justice is sometimes questionable in my mind.

For example if there is a debate over suicide or murder..a lawyer will place emphasis on the defendant's position and explore the victim's track record of previous suicide attempts to justify a light sentence for that perpetrator who assisted the victim in the first place.  The other side to the story has circumstantial evidence which will be thrown out of court. Regarding true justice..(and in my case), 47 people walked away from murder. I know there were 50 people there on the night of the victim's sacrifice and I shake my head in disgrace that the winning prize goes to the journalist who printed the fringe, obvious, tall tale of the 3 boys. Then it goes down in history and the sceptics definitely get 60 marks for believing all of it. I do find society moronic when a majority believe everything they read. How can anyone..even an intelligent sceptic , think that magnificent police work undermine's credibility?

Edited by TODDLER - April 25 2013 at 12:40
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 13:01
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The issue I face with my story is the judgement from others who insist it is a common conspiracy theory.  It's not moral to react with that kind of scepticism. In the case of many famous conspiracy theories ..I personally have a great disbelief in their presentation like many sceptics do. In the real or small world of the logically thinking it is knowledgeable that there are 2 sides or 2 versions to almost every story. When solving a crime..a detective is faced with leads which are vital to conclude the mystery. After extensive investigation and interrogation of witnesses the detective must have a possibility to further investigate. That procedure is even more involved because you must now locate people who were friends with the victim or perpetrator to confirm or loosely connect any truth existing to the statements made by the main suspects in the case. So you spend 2 years ploughing through lies and distractions attempting to prove a very likely possibility which differs from the story printed through the publications industry. In point these sceptics are holding the word of the press over the word/results of magnificent police work. Why do people trust a journalist to that degree? In one sense the sceptics mawk the press and claim conspiracy theories are nothing less than hype..but on the other hand they place importance on locating an old newspaper article of a so called urban legend to justify that the crime is in fact not a mystery...  when really a majority of the time what is defined in a newspaper as the final chapter or determination of a criminal case  is an agreement/ decision  made by a judge and jury and the justice is sometimes questionable in my mind.

For example if there is a debate over suicide or murder..a lawyer will place emphasis on the defendant's position and explore the victim's track record of previous suicide attempts to justify a light sentence for that perpetrator who assisted the victim in the first place.  The other side to the story has circumstantial evidence which will be thrown out of court. Regarding true justice..(and in my case), 47 people walked away from murder. I know there were 50 people there on the night of the victim's sacrifice and I shake my head in disgrace that the winning prize goes to the journalist who printed the fringe, obvious, tall tale of the 3 boys. Then it goes down in history and the sceptics definitely get 60 marks for believing all of it. I do find society moronic when a majority believe everything they read. How can anyone..even an intelligent sceptic , think that magnificent police work undermine's credibility?
That's a very good question.  I think it all boils down to convenience.  People like the world to appear simple, and they like to be (or appear to be) certain in their beliefs.  The media is usually the first voice people hear about controversial stories, and the press usually lays it out as simply as possible, usually with an unspoken bias towards one side or the other, conveyed especially by the overall tone of the headline, or title of the book.  People can thus form an opinion easily and quickly, and take comfort that there's a professional published source backing them up.   Any information contrary to this view will subsequently be met with resistance.  It requires one to re-think his own views, and it just might prove one wrong, which is not a welcome outcome to most people.   It's easier to be comfortably apathetic while maintaining a strong, unyielding collection of beliefs to give the impression that you're "sticking to your guns".  Such people are even praised for their consistency, when in fact they're weaker than the person who starts out wrong and has to change.

For much different reasons than yours, this human tendency really hits home for me, as the careless acquiescence and adherence to the knee jerk impulse to believe the first news story you hear has really hurt some people I care about.  It's a big reason I don't typically take part in current events debates, because I can't allow myself to jump to conclusions based on a few news stories or blurbs, and I get very sad when I'm around people who do.  I believe that general mindset is why we went to war and are still stuck there.

-Kehlog Albran
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 14:01
It was terrible when there was no freedom of media information, but it's getting to a point where freedom of media information is not so much better. Most people choose media which are akin to their political or ideological standpoints and hear only hugely biased stories which they take for the truth. The borderline between giving biased information and plainly lying is getting soooo thin.

I have always thought that someone should make some TV show where the subject would be take some actual piece of news and review the versions published by different media of the same facts. It would be hilarious, in many cases it really seems that you are reading about different events, and this would (hopefully) make people more wary of blindly believing what they read, hear and see.

Having said that, because of all this it's so difficult even for educated people to know what you should really believe, in the end one thinks that we are manipulated one way or another Ouch.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

It was terrible when there was no freedom of media information, but it's getting to a point where freedom of media information is not so much better. Most people choose media which are akin to their political or ideological standpoints and hear only hugely biased stories which they take for the truth. The borderline between giving biased information and plainly lying is getting soooo thin.
I've said in discussions before that you could pick any position you like, and could find 10 websites in 30 minutes that will give you all the arguments to support that position.  Then someone else can refute that by pulling a bunch of arguments from 10 different websites.  All of the information gathered is based on fact.  But does a group of cherry-picked facts all supporting one position equal the truth?  Does anyone even care about the truth?  That's a question all by itself.

I have always thought that someone should make some TV show where the subject would be take some actual piece of news and review the versions published by different media of the same facts. It would be hilarious, in many cases it really seems that you are reading about different events, and this would (hopefully) make people more wary of blindly believing what they read, hear and see.

There's a feature in the Atlanta newspaper that I hope foreshadows a good trend in this direction.  It's called the "Truth-o-Meter".  It usually takes some quote by some public official (politicians, local office holders, etc), which the newspaper itself probably reported at face value, and then subjects that statement to some intensive fact checking.  The Truth-o-Meter article carefully walks through the inquiry, weighs all the research and data, and comes to a conclusion as to whether the statement is true or not.  There are degrees of "truth" from "Liar Liar Pants on Fire" to "Yes Completely True" and shades in between.  It really shows that someone somewhere cares about thinking about public statements (previously accepted as facts), and the presence of the newspaper column tells me there are enough readers out there who like to read it.  Of course, there is always the pleasure of having a public figure being proven wrong, but I'll ignore that less than noble incentive for now.  Some people still care about the truth.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 25 2013 at 14:25

-Kehlog Albran
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 16:32
< id="bpm-darkle"> < id="bpm-invert">
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I have (undiagnosedly) been depressed since high school. In my case it isn't very severe most of the time, but more subtle and feels like it's a part of my personality. I think it's dysthymia, but I've never seen a professional about it. Luckily, the internet is a great way to distract myself from it. :D< id="bpm-darkle"> < id="bpm-invert">
I don't know how old you are but if this condition annoys you you should see a professional, you never know, they may help or not but it may be worth trying.

Yeah, I really should. One of the biggest reasons why I haven't is that I can't really afford it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123