FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCruise To The Edge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise To The Edge
    Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:57
I just found this review online by someone who was on the ship that did the Cruise To The Edge event. 

"Cruise to the Edge? Of what? Hell?
I just got back from the WORST cruise experience of a lifetime aboard MSC. They booked a half charter to a group called "Cruise To the Edge" that included entertainment by rock groups including heavy metal Zebra.

The ship had over 400 children on board for spring break but they CANCELLED all regular evening theatre entertainment so the charter group could have exclusive use of the theatre. The rock groups took up precious deck space, had private parties in the main lounges... we were forever wandering with nothing to do, only to find signs forbidding us entrance to this and that. 130 decibel music practically making your ears bleed even when they wouldnt let you in! No rest for the weary aboard that ship.

There was major over-crowding in the accessible areas. MSC had one of 2 pools closed off for a time and hundreds of square feet taken up by stages and speakers. In the main lounge, I saw 1/2 the dance floor taken up by rock band equipment storage. The regular library was closed and they offered one bookshelf as an alternative.

Very hairy old rockers gawked at the teenage girls and the pot smoking aboard was very evident. The cruise line allowed these passengers to smoke cigarettes everywhere - there was no escaping it. My 9 year old grand daughter stepped on a hot butt on the pool deck.

For us with 4 children? It was the Cruise to the edge of HELL. What kind of soul-less suit at the corporate offices of MSC would cancel the entertainment and restrict access when the ship had 400 kids on board? Complaints abounded but no word on restitution from MSC, so far. They ruined our vacation.

They owe everyone that was not part of that charter a redo or a refund and I am not kidding - it was that bad.... MSC Cruises demonstrated they would cheat their passengers if an almighty dollar walks up and asks them to do so. Even our children wanted off the ship from the first day :( . The website claims "Our theater provides a truly magical ambiance for our own unique brand of surreal theatricality and outstanding world-class performances each night", but we received no such promise.

We felt like the steerage passengers locked out of the lifeboats on the Titanic! They never breathed a word about this being a restricted/rock music cruise to us. Unconscionable! "

Edited by Stool Man - April 18 2013 at 10:00
rotten hound of the burnie crew
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:06
^...and the problem was....?  
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:59
He clearly states the problems.

Unfortunate that this man's family, and probably others, had an awful time at some cruise hosting. 

I'd love to hear about the performance, not really though. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 19:17
Well, he shouldn't have gone to Cruise to the Edge if he didn't want to hear a lot of prog rock. But for what he said, he might not have known, as well as many other people... I guess the organicers should have made it perfectly clear to anyone going on board to what kind of cruise they were getting into.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 22:38
Apparently those who were not part of Cruise To The Edge did not have any idea that CTTE was taking place.  As much as I personally enjoyed CTTE, its certainly very understandable how the "regular" cruise-goers were disappointed.  I can't blame them at all.

I was told (so take it for what its worth!) that the previous two cruises, Monsters Of Rock and Moody Blues Cruise, were exclusive and did not have any "regular" cruise-goers.  Which makes more sense.  Its not clear to me if they intentionally limited the number of CTTE passengers, or if they simply did not get enough so had to open it to regular cruisers.

They did announce next years CTTE.  Will be interesting to see how they react to this years situation.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:33
I first saw this on the Progresive Ears site. I feel sorry for the ordinary punters. They would never have signed up for this if they had known it was a rock festival, and cruises do not come cheap.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 14:39
If I went on a cruise and found out after embarking that the ship was hosting a country music festival that took over the entertainment venues, I'd be very pissed off.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 18:28
If I went on a cruise and found out that the ship was hosting a festival of Reggaeton, Salsa, Cumbia, Banda, etc, I would jump off the board.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 23:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

He clearly states the problems.

Unfortunate that this man's family, and probably others, had an awful time at some cruise hosting. 

I'd love to hear about the performance, not really though. 

....I was clearly making a joke.  

If I showed up on a cruise & found a musical experience, I'd be delighted!  My step-daughter's first concert was Moody Blues (featuring Patrick Moraz), about 1988, she loved it!  

Good thing they didn't end up on a Scandinavian death-metal cruise instead of Cruise to The Edge! 

Edited by cstack3 - April 19 2013 at 23:57
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 16:07
Actually, i just attended the U.K. concert in NYC, and two of my tablemates were on that Cruise (as well as many others in attendance at the concert, some of whom I spoke with).  And although all of those I spoke with agreed that the company should not have booked ANY families, and that there were some "kinks" in the overall experience, they were all VERY happy that they were there, and got to see all the groups, as well as meet most of them.  I hear that there were alot of quasi-impromptu performances in addition to the scheduled ones, both solo (e.g. Geoff Downes playing one night in one of the lounges) and other (Wetton and Hackett doing some "unplugged" stuff).

According to one of the people who went, the Cruise is being done again next April (instead of March; better seas), and the company has promised to devote the entire ship to the Cruise to the Edge, with no others allowed aboard.  I am seriously thinking of going this time.

Peace.
Kosmos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 11:20
Cruise To The Edge (A personal observation in several movements ... well this prog!)
Intro
Not to be confused with Snooze To The Edge which took place on the same ship the previous week with The Moody Blues et al or Booze To The Edge (Monsters of Rock) the week before that. There have been commentaries (some in great detail like Notes From The Edge on Facebook) about Cruise To The Edge so this is my shorter personal non VIP experience of the event.
Who would have thought back in the 70's that prog fans would be travelling on cruise ships listening to their favourite bands now well into their 60's and beyond?  Not me that's for sure. With tickets around $2000 a pop it wasn't cheap. Adding on flights from the UK and hotels in Fort Lauderdale paying off the mortgage has been delayed for a year.
People on the CTTE package were in general of a certain age including us!
It had the feel of a festival on water with schedules that changed daily, different stages and Storyteller sessions (a band members Q&A) plus art exhibitions by the one and only Roger Dean (who was on board selling pictures and prints some with price tags out of my reach), Carl Palmer and Armondo Gallo.
We set sail on Monday the 25 March from Port Everglades returning there via Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Saturday the 30th. I was accompanied by my wife which gave her the chance to release her inner groupie.  
We did not pay extra for the VIP package which included meet and greets with the band etc.  I love the music but mingling with celebs is not for me though I appreciate others like to get up close and personal. I noticed a few of the band members from time to time on and off the ship.  Most seemed approachable and were happy to chat to fans.
My wife is a huge Genesis fan and was thrilled to have her photo taken with Steve Hackett.
Steve came across as a really nice guy. He displayed great patience when I overheard one fan ask him about the hidden meaning of the lyrics on Can you tell me where my country lies? said the unifaun to his true love's eyes. Hmmm.
Most fans don't get to meet the artists and nice idea that it is I find myself reminded of Peter Hammill Energy Vampires "I've got every one of your records man, doesn't that mean that I own you". I guess some people think spending this sort of money entitles you.  Most were restrained but one or two obsessives couldn't help themselves.
The Boat
The MSC Poesia. A real let down. Food and service below par. In fact the second best cruise ship I have been on. I have only been on two. Italian owned so with Costa Concordia fresh in the mind I made sure I knew where the lifeboats were.  
The first shock was the discovery only half the people on board were part of the Cruise To The Edge package. The rest were non prog people ... in the main Hispanic (including kids ... lots of them) on some sort of spring break discount package.  We heard a few complaints from the non progsters (in fact a highly critical comment from the Ship's website has been posted in this thread – in my opinion this was an exaggeration albeit from a different perspective). The complainant forgot to mention their kids travelled for free, hogged all the swimming pools and paid a fraction of what CTTE folks had to fork out. There were times when I hoped CSI Miami's Horatio Caine might be on board but I saw no trouble between the groups except a few well chosen expletives about the volume when Zebra were on. They were probably right about that.
Not ideal and whilst overall the organisers did a decent job this needs to be looked at as another Cruise To The Edge in 2014 is planned.
Weather. Disappointing .... cloudy with some rain. One notable downpour brought Nektar's pool deck performance to a sudden halt after 30 minutes. A shame as they were getting into a groove.  Nektar were jinxed as their first performance was cancelled due to technical difficulties.    
The Main Theatre (The Carlo Felice) was an all seater. It was wonderful with with excellent acoustics. It was noticeable at most of the gigs that musicians from other bands had to come to watch.
We found ourselves to be one of the few English who had made the trip. Americans were in an obvious significant majority and in general more demonstrative, enthusiastic and louder than reserved British audiences. The cultural differences were not a shock but I was mildly irritated by the yahoos and whistling during quieter moments or at the beginning of a song. For example the intro to And You and I and the false ending to Awaken.  I didn't let it spoil my enjoyment too much. The only time I almost lost it was when one lady sitting next to us talked and laughed almost constantly with her friend and at one point decided to dance in front of my wife.  My wife told her firmly we had come to see Yes not her. She sat down. We were not alone in our annoyance. How can you dance to Siberian Khatru?  This was an exception. We met many delightful people on board including a charming couple from New Jersey. His knowledge of Genesis dwarfed mine.  There was only one thing I could beat him on. I had seen the original line up with Phillips and Mayhew. We also had a trio of Danes as our dinner partners who were clearly big Genesis fans since one had a giant plastic flower in his jacket lapel with a picture of Peter Gabriel in the middle.
Best T Shirt seen on the cruise. A green one worn by a lady which said on the front "It's been a long long time" and on the back "Hasn't it"
Having seen all of the major groups in the past with their original line ups it struck me on several occasions what I would give to see them now as they once were. Well we can all dream.  
Disclaimer The set lists are from what I can remember and may not be 100% accurate.
The Gigs
We went to most but not all performances.
Day One
Pool Deck Zebra had me running for the bar. Very loud and their brand of Hard Rock is not my cup of tea.
Main Theatre Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited
Steve Hackett guitars
Nad Sylvan vocals
Roger King keyboards
Lee Pomeroy bass
Gary O'Toole drums
Phenomenal performance. Steve Hackett is a class act and was the undoubted star of the whole Cruise. Special mention for Nad Sylvan from Agents of Mercy on vocals who was quite brilliant but the whole band were on form.
Watcher of the Skies ( the ship's engines started as we left port which was quite a thrill), Dancing with the moonlit Knight, Fly on a windshield, Broadway Melody, Cuckoo Cocoon, Chamber of 32 Doors, I Know What I Like, The Musical Box, Supper's Ready (full version)   
Main Theatre Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy
guitar Paul Bielatowicz
bass Simon Fitzpatrick
drums etc. Carl Palmer
The Barbarian,  Carmina Burana, Bach's Fugue in D Minor, Knife-Edge, America, Pictures at an Exhibition, “Prelude to and afternoon with a Faun,” Bohemian Rhapsody (bass solo), Encore  Fanfare for the Common Man
Excellent musicianship  which could not be faulted but the set did not quite work for me. In my opinion a vocalist would have helped. Inevitable comparisons with Greg Lake perhaps but as Steve Hackett demonstrated you can deliver if you have the right person.  
Carl was brilliant as usual and the 2 young guitarists were breathtaking. They coped well with material designed to have a keyboard in the line up.
Pool Deck Nektar cancelled due to "technical difficulties"
Day Two
Main Theatre Ambrosia  
A pleasant MORish Prog set. They played a great version of a personal favourite Time waits for No One from their first album in 1975.
Pool Deck IO Earth
I only caught some of their set but what I heard was impressive. They could go far.
Main Theatre Yes
Jon Davison vocals
Steve Howe guitars
Chris Squire Bass
Alan White Drums
Geoff Downes keyboards
Both albums in track order Close to the Edge, Going For The One, Encore Starship Trooper
A tame set (not helped by the ship moving around in rougher waters cue Topographic Oceans). Steve Howe had difficulty with his slide guitar literally sliding as the ship rolled. He was not a happy bunny. Standouts - the excellent performance of one of my favourite tracks Awaken (complete with bits of paper swirling around at the climax) with special mention of the rarely performed and gorgeous Turn Of The Century delivered well by the new singer (a genuine Jon Anderson clone) Jon Davison.    
Day Three
Grand Cayman excursion today. Highlight for me. Being on the same tender with Chris Squire and Jon Davison on our way back to the ship from a day in Grand Cayman when it hit a reef. We made it safely back to the boat.
Storyteller session with Steve Hackett in the Bar. Interesting. Steve played two classical pieces on nylon string guitar. He mentioned he was still available for a Genesis reunion but did not appear to be confident it would happen hence Genesis Revisited.  Chris Squire joined Steve on stage for 10 minutes of chat.
We decided to give Carl Palmer's second set a miss.
Main Theatre Yes  Both albums in track order Close to the Edge and The Yes Album, Encore Roundabout
Much tighter the second night. Shame they played Close to The Edge again much as I love the album. I was worried it may be a repeat of the previous night but fortunately it was not. Jon Davison is rather good and better than Benoit though his hand gestures are a little strange. He performed admirably.  
Small niggles. Geoff Downes. I am not a fan however with his keyboards mixed down to a whisper while Chris Squire had his bass twice the volume of the rest of the band (Why? I think we know the answer) he did not have much of a chance.  
Pool Deck Glass Hammer cancelled too windy
Day Four
Jamaica excursion today - very damp
Main Theatre Glass Hammer  
A pleasant if unmemorable set. They missed Jon Davison!  
Pool Deck Nektar
A few songs in the heavens opened. People dived for cover from the torrential rain as their set ended abruptly.
Main Theatre UK  
Alex Machacek lead guitar
John Wetton bass
Terry Bozio drums (loads though my friend from NJ informs me it is a fraction of his usual kit))
Eddie Jobson keyboards and violin
In The Dead of Night / By The Light of Day, Nevermore, Thirty Years, Carrying No Cross, Drum Solo, Electric Violin/Keyboard Solo, Alaska / Night After Night, Caesar's Palace Blues, Forever Until Sunday , Rendezvous 6:02, The Only Thing She Needs
Aside from the solos Terry Bozio ... , he kept going and going and going. Amazing aggressive and highly talented but I have heard enough drum solos to last a lifetime and Eddie Jobson and his electric violin  ... I mean a transparent green violin wow how much did that cost? It was agreat set and one I thoroughly enjoyed. I have loved John Wetton's voice since Larks Tongues (well he did not get much of a chance in Family). Unlike many singers of his generation he still has it. Jobson was also great.
Day 5
Main Theatre Yes (Storytellers session)
A censored Q&A session (all questions in writing) to avoid awkward questions about you know who. I found it rather mundane. Highlights - Steve Howe's hissy fit at people recording the session on camera. So precious. Steve and Jon played out the session with Leaves of Green, then just Steve with a delightful Mood For A Day.
Pool Deck Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited
Dance on a volcano, Entangled, Firth Of Fifth, Eleventh Earl Of Mar, In That Quiet Earth, Afterglow (with John Wetton on vocals), Watcher Of The Skies, Los Endos, Encore I Know What I Like    
I have been to hundreds of gigs over the past 45 years and I have to say this would be in my top 5. The environment helped. Blue skies emerging at last. Last gig of the cruise. But to be only a matter of feet away from the stage and to see and hear Steve Hackett in full flow was magical. The crowd were fantastic. You would not get this reaction in England. The crowd pop when Wetton came out was huge. By a country mile this was THE highlight of the cruise. I could sense Steve Hackett feeding on the energy and for a guy I saw way back in the early 70's who barely moved from his seat hidden behind his beard and glasses his enjoyment was there for all to see. Awesome. A real privilege to be there.  
We have tickets for the Royal Albert Hall gig later this year. I can't wait.
Summary
This was the experience of a lifetime, very surreal and one I will always remember. So many highlights but Steve Hackett was the star for me.
Postscript
Would I recommend? Most definitely if you can afford it. Don't let a 9 hour flight from Heathrow to Miami put you off.  We are waiting to see what the line up will be, the ship and the destination before we decide if we will go.

But laughing in my courtyard play the pranksters of my youth
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 15:00
Great overview/review!
You are so right about the Steve Hackett performances.  So amazing!
You should have caught all of both IO Earth performances.  They were my second favorite next to Hackett.
Interesting comments on the Yes Q&A.  I missed it in order to see (I think) the only full Netkar set, where they played all of Remember the Future.  Guess I didn't miss much after all!
I still need to put together all my thoughts on the cruise.  Dunno if I will ever get to it.
Glad to see someone else from PA was there.
BTW, info about CTTE 2014 is available here: https://www.facebook.com/events/145295068976342/.
Looks like it will still be an MSC cruise, this time on the MSC Divina, or at least that's the rumor.  Though I have my doubts about them filling the ship with just CTTE cruisers (4000 passengers??).  Also will be leaving from Port Miami instead of Port Everglades.
Will I go again?  Not sure.  Definitely won't decide until the lineup (or at least most of it) is released.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Starless View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 03:58
What a dreadful idea! Still, if the gullible want to be parted from their wallets, who am I to stop them? Feel really sorry for the non-proggers on board. If it's true they had no prior warning they should sue.
Beware of the flowers, cos they're gonna get you yet!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 15:37
I was not successful embedding this video, but here is the final song of IO Earth at the CTTE Pool Stage.
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=513619355362966

I "star" in it, sitting to the left of the pool under the left-most umbrella thingy, and later (at 5:04) standing up and moving over to the next umbrella thingy and headbanging like a doofus.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 09:04
No - embedding non-YouTube videos doesn't have a very high success rate on here I'm afraid, Frank (about 0% from my own experience! Tongue).

There are absolutely loads of clips from this event on YouTube though, including this one of most (if not all) of the IOEarth performance from 27th March:

Wish I'd been there... Cry

Edit: This concert was all the more remarkable since Linda Odinsen jumped into the breach when, due to personal and health reasons, Claire Malin was unable to perform at several recent IOEarth gigs, & they thought that their 'Cruise To The Edge' concert was going to have to be cancelled altogether too...Yet, with only a 4 hour rehearsal, she fitted into IOEarth straight away and performed admirably at the gig, as can be seen and heard above. Claire has since officially left the band, and Linda has been named as IOEarth's new vocalist. http://www.ioearth.com/  Clap

Edited by yam yam - May 29 2013 at 10:55
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

No - embedding non-YouTube videos doesn't have a very high success rate on here I'm afraid, Frank (about 0% from my own experience! Tongue).

There are absolutely loads of clips from this event on YouTube though, including this one of most (if not all) of the IOEarth performance from 27th March:

Wish I'd been there... Cry

Edit: This concert was all the more remarkable since Linda Odinsen jumped into the breach when, due to personal and health reasons, Claire Malin was unable to perform at several recent IOEarth gigs, & they thought that their 'Cruise To The Edge' concert was going to have to be cancelled altogether too...Yet, with only a 4 hour rehearsal, she fitted into IOEarth straight away and performed admirably at the gig, as can be seen and heard above. Claire has since officially left the band, and Linda has been named as IOEarth's new vocalist. http://www.ioearth.com/  Clap
I was at that performance as well.  Wonderful!  And yes, the story about Linda (Dave kept calling her "Our Nordic Beauty") was amazing.  Had he not told the story there's no way you'd have known she hadn't been with the band for years!

IOEarth was actually, next to Hackett, the band I was most looking forward to.  And they did not disappoint!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 23:57
Line-up for Cruise To The Edge 2014 announced today:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/1004613_628781963812330_2131989490_n.jpg

Not so sure about Queensryche on the bill since it's not the 'ryche without Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo. Aggressive promoters must've got to them before a sober second thought said "ya don't!"

Ah well...looks like it's earplugs, nails on a black board and a bottle of cheap scotch for that gig. I hope they didn't pay much for the faux 'ryche.  Surprised they didn't get Deep Purple or Barclay James Harvest.  I'm still going, though.

Edited by Gooner - July 20 2013 at 00:05
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 01:43
Looks like about half the same bands as this years lineup. If I had the money I would go. It sounds like most of the prog fans who went had a blast. Hopefully the situation that was mentioned in the article will be corrected and it will be attended only by those into the music. I suppose it will be inevitable that some wives or girlfriends will be tagging along though. ;) 

Edited by Prog_Traveller - July 20 2013 at 01:45
jojorazor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 17:18
This cruise is also having jams every night and if you’re a musician you can sign up to play. Just think… playing just about any prog song that you can dream up!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/579934965378361/
http://1nationunderprog.com/master_list.html
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 21:17
^ Only the elite could afford this trip. I am so envious of this cruise!!!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>