Topic ClosedS. Wilson confirms PT on "indefinite hiatus"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 17:23
I consider PTs last albums (The Incident and Fear of a Blank Planet) as Wilson's creative apex. I wish he continues to work especially with Barbieri - their chemistry is something special. His solo work starting to remind me stiff attempts of re-creating 70s prog, because of overusing vintage instruments (keyboards). It is quite common disease of new prog with following typical signs: mellotrons have to be everywhere, wind instruments also, he is forcing himself to odd signatures and breaks, which sound fabricated, not natural... Wilson is closer than ever to Dream Theater and The Flower Kings kind of prog - bands which he always heavily criticized. And he's even going to attend a festival which has "prog" in its name:) Despite that, his solo music is still very good and Raven has especially awesome technical quality, sometimes still well blended with Wilson's typical melancholy.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 12:50
Hi,

Of the things I have heard by Steven on his own, they are nice, but I am not impressed and I think that in many ways he has become too "famous" and "full of himself" in order to be able to work withint a group atmosphere, and instead he feels he wants to "tell people" what to do, instead of allowing them to play it and add to the piece.

There is, of course, nothing ... absolutely nothing! ... wrong with his decision, and he has a right to make it ... specially when the whole thing was him in the first place, in the garage ... and maybe he is finding that there are things he wants to try and do himself ... that sends him back to his "roots" in the early days ... and that is fine and ok in my book.

But I will miss PT a lot more than I will miss Steven ... maybe its the words and the wording ... I am not sure ... but ... hey ... we all change wives and girlfriends now and then ... so what's the problem?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 12:42
It would be sad if Porcupine Tree never recorded again as the chemistry between the players in that band really worked. I'm sure the day will come when they do something again. For now I'm very happy with The Raven... easily the best of his solo work.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 18:13
I guess sooner or later, Porcupine Tree must come back. Even if it takes 20 years.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 16:27
No surprises really. But I guess its good to have It finally stated.

The time off will probably good them some good (if they ever come back that is).
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 15:10
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Do I understand this correctly, this discussion turned into another The Incident-bashing thread?
No, not at all, I was only stating it was not their best work, but in no way is it bad !  A lot of great songs on there, my faves being Time Flies, Circle of Manias, the title track and Bonnie the Cat.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:45
I think this is a case where mr. Wilson was able to come to an agreement with the other bandmates in PT to pursue other music endeavors. I say that Wilson is lucky he has other bandmates that are open and understanding to the notion of a hiatus. This is quite indicative to the Mike Portnoy situation where he wanted DT to take a 5 year hiatus, so he could go f**k around with Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic and of course the other DT members were like, not a freakin chance!! 5 years is too long! I'm glad they felt that way, but with PT it is different where Steven Wilson is not easily replaceable. He is PT! In Dream Theater MP was not the true soul of DT. He was replaceable, so that is that. I hope Wilson reproduces more classic albums in 5.1mix while having some more time being freed up being away from PT.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:05
Bad move Steve.  Even The Incident is far better than your solo stuff.

I have all 3 recent SW releases including the live DVD...and will likely get rid of it eventually.  He really benefits alot from his PT cohorts imo. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:55
I totally enjoy all PT music, start to finish (uhhh last release I menat...) and the solo material is excellent as well. What I enjoy about PT is Gavin's drumming and the others...SW to me is just another musician in the band, albeit a very good one.
I don't really care for Gavin's o5Ric stuff......his OSI work is very good. I guess I just prefer him in PT, that is where I think he shines most.
Do I want them to continue, absolutely!!!! but I am enjoying the SW solo material right now......
Cthulhu42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:46
If his solo work continues to be as good as Raven was, then I have no problems with this.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:32
Do I understand this correctly, this discussion turned into another The Incident-bashing thread?
This night wounds time.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 08:19
While I agree that The Incident is far from being PT's best album, I for one really enjoyed FOABP and In Absentia, and moments of Deadwing. I REALLY love The Raven and I don't mind him pursuing his solo career, but seriously, No PT album for the foreseeable future just makes me sad. Sure, I was being a bit melodramatic with my opening statement LOL, but the PT recipe and elements just did it for me.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
MJAben View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:44
I would be more upset by this, but for me In Absentia was the last PT album I absolutely loved and since then it's been in a downhill motion for me. On the other hand, I have been blown away by Steven Wilsons two latest solo albums so as long as he continues with that I'm happy.
The anteater is the worlds fastest land mammal.
MustardSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:04
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Cry
Talk about bad news...

I really enjoy The Raven... but PT on hold ?  This is the band that put him on the map, for crying out loud !

When you can't (or won't) make the time for something, usually, it's because it doesn't matter that much to you anymore. 

It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years.

PT fans, the dreaded day has come.  Wilson is no longer into PT, and is moving on.
Indefinite hiatus is another way of saying goodbye folks. Other PT members will go on with their musical careers, and IF Wilson ever wants to get the band back together, being the talented musicians they are, they'll be too busy to reform and will have moved on themselves.

Sad day indeed... I knew the sh*tty weather announced something sad !

Oh come on, you sound as if the end of the world has come. He explicitly said that PT is NOT breaking up but on hiatus (which is something he should have done after FOABP instead of releasing the really uninspired and overblown "The Incident")
SW is going to write and release music until he dies and I'm glad he's trying something new instead of re-hashing a proofed and tested formula (as he tried with "The Incident" and failed - of course this is only my opinion - I know there are some folks round here who LOVE that album.. to each his own ;D )
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 16:05
I said this in another thread of the same topic

He is making better music than he was in PT, so why complain? He said they aren't broken up, just simply putting out music himself. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 13:59
Indeed, Raven was so good, as well as Grace for Drowning, that I don't care so much about Porcupine Tree.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 13:35
This isn't news. We've known this basically since Grace For Drowning. Wilson's official statement is "It will come back, just not right now".

I would be annoyed, but Raven was as good as any PT release, so I'm fine with whatever.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:37
One yar ago Porcupine Tree break up news would look like a catastrophe, but not now, after 'Get All You Deserve' live album and 'the Raven', I can say that Steven Wilson just found a new musical vehicle, that's all. He's still here, his music is as great as always, and he's not going to leave.

Anyway, don't forget that Porcupine Tree IS Steven Wilson, that's just one of his aliases Wink

Edited by ole-the-first - April 18 2013 at 12:37
This night wounds time.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:24
Sorry, I meant the last 2 albums. I loved Deadwing.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:23
Maybe a break will do them some good. I for one was not impressed by the last album. In fact, IMO, the last 3 albums had a sameness to them musically. They sounded like they were going through the motions.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>