Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJobson vs. Emerson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 01:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Emerson's 'Piano Concerto No. 1' is pretty much perfection to demonstrate his skill on the piano, especially the manic Third movement 'Tocatta con Fuoco'.  Keith was already tackling amazing things whilst in The Nice, and Jobson was in his late teens when he hooked up with Curved Air.  His performance on their album 'Air Cut' was already at a very high level.  Two truly gifted musicians, and I've never heard Emerson play a violin LOL - Jobson is superb on that thing.........

Air Cut is very good indeed

Danger Money is still my favourite 'wannabie ELP' album especially Carrying No Cross. 
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Another KE fan boy chiming in here, all you have to do is look at some of those classically trained piano parrots to get the answer to that. By parrot I mean those guys who wow the world with the amazing Liszt performances and other complex music. Strange that I don't recall any of them doing anything 'original' and therein lies the truth. Technical performance or knowledge isn't the real question, it's the creative element that sets Emerson apart.

I was also the sound engineer for the keyboard driven Symphonic rock band BUSKER for six years. The keyboard player for that band could play pretty much any ELP tune you can imagine, and he was playing a full Hammond D foot pedal bass at the same time, and not a push and hold bass but a walking bass. I never saw Emerson do that. But that didn't make him better technically or otherwise.

Your original question is "technically accomplished", well, that's a very vague qualifier to be sure. For instance, if a keyboard player can shift from one style to another seamlessly either within a song or from song to song does that qualify as "technically accomplished"? What about if they can maintain a rhythm like a metronome, does that qualify? What about always hitting every key  in a cord exactly  each and every time, does that qualify.

I guess my point is (and I'm sorry for taking so long to get to it) there are so many elements that go into any musical performance of any instrument that I don't believe there will ever be a correct answer. Only opinions.

BTW, my opinion is that Emerson is and always will be the keyboard GOD of progressive music even as age takes its toll of the physical being. He is truly the ORIGINAL !!!

A keyboard king for sure, but THE original? Actually, no.

See, I told you I was a fan boy.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 01:38
Even though I like Jobson a lot (see my avatar) I think Emerson was a bit more skilled.
Both are very talented, though.
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 20:33
You need only ask yourself one question:  did Eddie Jobson play the keys with knives? Try and match that technique, Mr. Jobson.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:26
Originally posted by ProgressiveMike ProgressiveMike wrote:

You need only ask yourself one question:  did Eddie Jobson play the keys with knives? Try and match that technique, Mr. Jobson.

it might be pedantic for me to point out that Emerson didn't 'play' the keyboards with knives he just jammed them in between the keys to hold the notes while he wheeled the organ round the stage. 

Jobson also didn't risk electrocuting himself taking the back off the organ and fiddling with the wires or for that matter strapping himself to a piano elevated above a stage while being rotated 360 degrees. Stupid boy Eddie just what was he thinking?Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 09:57
And the piano wasn't really "played" while Emo was flipping 'round. The hammers are at the mercy of gravity. Star
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:17
Emerson for me, but then, as you say, preference is the key.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12