Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ozric Tentacles - Arabic/African recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOzric Tentacles - Arabic/African recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ozric Tentacles - Arabic/African recommendations
    Posted: April 20 2013 at 09:22
What are the best Arabic / African style tracks produced by the Ozrics?  I love tracks like Bizarre Bazaar from Strangeitude, Snakepit from Erpland and Ta Khut from Hidden Step, but these are the only albums I own by the band. their back catalogue is massive so a bit of help would be much appreciated!!
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:32
The interlude of the piece 'Jurassic Shift' features Middle-Eastern scales. 
'Al-Salooq' from Arborescence.
'Papyrus' from Curious Corn.
'O-I' from Pungent Effulgent.
'Mysticum Arabbicola' has an Arabic vibe to it......
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 13:58
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

What are the best Arabic / African style tracks produced by the Ozrics?  I love tracks like Bizarre Bazaar from Strangeitude, Snakepit from Erpland and Ta Khut from Hidden Step, but these are the only albums I own by the band. their back catalogue is massive so a bit of help would be much appreciated!!

I doubt you will be seeing/hearing any more of these ... I really think these were John's specialties and the group these days is the Ozric Family Band, and that "international" feel is long gone ... and sadly, the music is not half as interesting anymore!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 00:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I doubt you will be seeing/hearing any more of these ... I really think these were John's specialties and the group these days is the Ozric Family Band, and that "international" feel is long gone ... and sadly, the music is not half as interesting anymore!
Unfortunately..........Cry
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 22:50
I'd recommend you give a try to the band Hidria Spacefolk, those guys play space rock in a very Ozric way, but with much more ethnic elements.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 00:57
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

I'd recommend you give a try to the band Hidria Spacefolk, those guys play space rock in a very Ozric way, but with much more ethnic elements.
Hidria have picked up where quality Ozrics left off................
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The interlude of the piece 'Jurassic Shift' features Middle-Eastern scales. 
'Al-Salooq' from Arborescence.

'Papyrus' from Curious Corn.

'O-I' from Pungent Effulgent.

'Mysticum Arabbicola' has an Arabic vibe to it......

Haha Tom!! I knew you would be all over this forum. And yes, your answer to the mans question is perfect.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:35
You could also include the tracks 'Vita Voom' with it's slight Middle-Eastern tones and 'Afroclonk' for a bit of the tribal African element. 
Shame to say I don't listen to Ozrics as much as I used to but I still hold 'em in high regard Thumbs Up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:10

You could also include the tracks 'Vita Voom' with it's slight Middle-Eastern tones and 'Afroclonk' for a bit of the tribal African element. 
Shame to say I don't listen to Ozrics as much as I used to but I still hold 'em in high regard Thumbs Up.

I Would think by your name you still do.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 19:22
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

To be quite honest, from late '97 up until early 2002, there was rarely a day (ain't no bull !!) where I didn't listen to an Ozric album or live recording.  I was also proud to belong to the short-lived Ozric fanclub, but since then, the club folded (due to lack of funds Angry) Roly Wynne chose to leave this Earth in a most devastating way (Cry), and there have been countless re-issues of rare Euro-Prog albums and incredibly exhilirating fresh, modern Prog being released. Lots of Scandinavian Prog, and all on vinyl too. I still get the Ozric albums but most of the elements that made them special to me in the first place have really been watered down and they don't knock me out much anymore.  They have occasional moments, like the intro to 'Lost In The Sky' (off Paper Monkeys) where I got excited that they were re-capturing their inspiration, but these moments a scarce since the release of 'Spirals In Hyperspace'.  Too much programming, too much Ed Wynne domination, and not so much a democratic band situation.  I can't be bothered changing my 'user name' coz nothing really fits - (Transatlantic Tom ?, Tom Spacefolk ....??)  Mellotron Tom is a rip-off of John's user name...........'Tom Fuzz-Organ' doesn't sound too good, neither does 'Supersister Tom' LOL...........Anyway, this banter doesn't help the O.P.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 01:32
^ I thought Supersister Tom is cool...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 13:51

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

To be quite honest, from late '97 up until early 2002, there was rarely a day (ain't no bull !!) where I didn't listen to an Ozric album or live recording.  I was also proud to belong to the short-lived Ozric fanclub, but since then, the club folded (due to lack of funds Angry) Roly Wynne chose to leave this Earth in a most devastating way (Cry), and there have been countless re-issues of rare Euro-Prog albums and incredibly exhilirating fresh, modern Prog being released. Lots of Scandinavian Prog, and all on vinyl too. I still get the Ozric albums but most of the elements that made them special to me in the first place have really been watered down and they don't knock me out much anymore.  They have occasional moments, like the intro to 'Lost In The Sky' (off Paper Monkeys) where I got excited that they were re-capturing their inspiration, but these moments a scarce since the release of 'Spirals In Hyperspace'.  Too much programming, too much Ed Wynne domination, and not so much a democratic band situation.  I can't be bothered changing my 'user name' coz nothing really fits - (Transatlantic Tom ?, Tom Spacefolk ....??)  Mellotron Tom is a rip-off of John's user name...........'Tom Fuzz-Organ' doesn't sound too good, neither does 'Supersister Tom' LOL...........Anyway, this banter doesn't help the O.P.

Well you will always be known to me as TOM, but I think SUSPIRIA TOM would work brilliantly. Also it's a nice feeling to be fully captivated by a band/artist initially, but yeah sometimes their sound just wears off of you. For instance I was a big prog/metal head a quite a young age and all I think about was METALLICA METALLICA!! Thought they were the best band in every capacity that music had to offer in that genre. I would've at 17 have changed my name to NICK METALLICA. LOL. Boy was I wrong. You discover more and branch out. My god, there are numerous bands that I feel are much better than METALLICA for me. Oh and one more thing...TRANSATLANTIC TOM could work. :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 23:50
Why not 'Bagarozzo Tom' LOL............I think Goblin are over-rated a bit................... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:20

Why not 'Bagarozzo Tom' LOL............I think Goblin are over-rated a bit................... 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 08:05

I do as well, and still play the stuff ... but the last couple of albums are not half as memorable as the earlier material, and it's hard to explain to musicians that the whole thing is more than just notes and a DAW mentality about the work!

Same issue on the Cakewalk board and many other places! It's like the notes and the DAW have become the Pan of Music, and no one has the ability to "get off" that bus ... and do something different.

No wonder marriages get stale sometimes, hey?

(A little more on this, if you do not mind)
In the early "hippy" days, the whole thing was very "romantic", which is the word used for the arts of 200 years ago, describing arts that were always thinking the grass was greener on the other side, and things were always better elsewhere ... which can be true to an extent and also not true in another extent. The likelihood is that Brandy and John did not get along in this fantasy area, that was helping the music, and so much defined its "gypsy" and "eastern" playful-ness and feeling that pervaded a lot of their material, even with the names of various pieces.

Brandy's playing is definitly better, as of this last album, but sadly, it's not enough to help elevate the music to above and beyond what was there before ... Zia was not a great bass player, but you could see the steadyness, studio like ability and precision to the material, which lacked "tripping", but settled the group down a bit into playing ... but the keyboard change from Seaweed, is very sad. The youngster does not, yet, have the personality to be able to help the group, and his trip quotient, is from this time, not the other time, and that means the music will be different, and I doubt that Ed will adjust well, if the son, all of a sudden, wants to start playing something else that is more DJ like, and looping dad's guitar ... which I think Ed will not handle well, since he likes to do his own loops and effects himself!

Sadly, John is not playing much, and his work in that Italian bunch of folks was ok, but not very good all around ... and his playing sounded like the plant was planted on the wrong soil ... and its livelihood was now very limited. Some great playing and effects, that even night clubs and venues did their best to kill ... more often than not you could not hear the flute or the effects ... such is rock'n'roll ... many times stupid, and not respectful about the music itself ... and of the 3 times they have been here in Portland, all 3 of them were bad, sad, and pathetic! And they did not protect themselves! You really think that Ian did not know this and made sure his flute was heard? YEAH, and you probably have to be a jerk to get people to mic it right and mix it correctly ...

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2013 at 08:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:30
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation - just been listening on Spotify.  Will soon be purchasing some CDs!!
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Sequined_Tears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 16:30
I am a very big Ozric fan, but without John 'Champignon', it just falls flat.  I could keep up with the heavy rotation of drummers, but the jumping pixie with flute in hand kept Ozrics interesting.  With all the darkness surrounding this band, you could always count on John to add a touch of playful whimsy.

So, sadly, I have left Ozrics behind and followed John to Dream Machine.  I could only be more pleased if I could see them live.  

Now to answer your question: (in my opinion)

The Hidden Step pretty much in its entirety
Magick Valley from The Yumyum Tree
Zoemetra from Spiral in Hyperspace
Mysticum Arabicola, Snakepit and Valley of A Thousand Thoughts from Erpland 
Secret Names from Bits Between the Bits or Afterwish (on both)

Strageitude releases like:
John's flute solo in Space Between Your Ears 
Saucers 
Bizarre Bazaar

I threw five clocks down on my bed
The chimes danced out on golden threads
And turned to footprints on my wall
Sequined Tears began to fall...
Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 10:31

I think you've pretty much nailed it there.
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by Lord Jagged Lord Jagged wrote:

I think you've pretty much nailed it there.

Well almost...you have to listen to the album Curious Corn and you'll find a couple of nice tribal/African inspired tracks like AFROCLONK. It's great. ;)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 12:10
I know what you guys mean, but I feel Paper Monkeys is a rightly rousing record. It surprised me!
 Post Reply Post Reply