Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Black Sabbath Tune!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 20:44
Riff from 'God is Dead?' reminds me of Black Oblivion' from Iommi's debut solo LP, middle section is a total self-repeat from 'After All (The Dead)'. Atmosphere is fantastic though.
This night wounds time.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 21:03
I would suggest an edited version that starts around the six minute mark.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Riff from 'God is Dead?' reminds me of Black Oblivion' from Iommi's debut solo LP, middle section is a total self-repeat from 'After All (The Dead)'. Atmosphere is fantastic though.

-- which is an awesome song from Dehumanizer, for the 2-3 people left who are not familiar with it.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:00
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

This is good, but if the band wouldn't be Black Sabbath, I don't think I would pay much attention to it.

Agreed
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 03:39

Got my hands on the album.

This is GOOD, a total surprice to me, that they are in shape for an album this great.
I may think diffrent later, but right now it seems to be right up there with their best albums 

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 04:43
I love "13", then again that's no real surprise since I love all their 19 albums + the H&H album... Anyway, there are a few riffs/ideas that have appeared earlier in a slightly different form but that doesn't take much away from the quality imo. What does take away some of the experience is the WAY too "fat" and loud production... well, I guess even the mighty Sabbath have to adapt to the dorky mainstream metal community in order to raise sales... at least they sold a few copies, they totally deserve that recognition so I'm happy for them!
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 05:02
The sound is very rounded, but i like it, shame on me Headbanger

Heavy gold chains, long hair, black leather, and a very fat sound, seems to be at least a line there.

Edited by tamijo - July 16 2013 at 05:04
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 05:47

I've been fortunate enough to have acquired the 2 LP version and it kicks serious ass.  Ozzy is sounding fantastic for his age/condition/whatever, and the band is bang-on.  I'd swear that if I wasn't aware that Wilks was the drummer, I'd have thought it was dear old Bill.  Amazing.  Some of it is definately a re-write of older material, but it sounds modern and fresh - I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face the first few times I heard it.  It mostly reminds me of Dehumanizer (no bad thing), but give me Ozzy any day over the little monster (great as he was/is - god bless 'im - many of us miss you, Ronnie).  Geezer is as powerful as ever with his savage bass, and Tony is as 'riff-master' as he ever was.  '13' definately compliments their first 6 albums beautifully.  I'm tempted to rate it with 5 stars.........I didn't think I'd ever see the day.................

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 02:50
After a few spins if I disregard the fact that this is quite a historical event, then I can say I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something more dynamical and it seems the production wasn't either. But I might change my mind soon after everything will sink in.

But as it looks now I'm going to see them live in Amsterdam in November...Big smile Big smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 08:52
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

This is good, but if the band wouldn't be Black Sabbath, I don't think I would pay much attention to it.

Agreed

Same here.....that track is typical for Sabbath, and to tell the truth I don't listen to them much anymore.
When I was young and bought their first in 69 they became all the rage but after 3 or 4 lp's I became bored with their sound.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12