FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA question for fender rhodes users

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for fender rhodes users
    Posted: April 21 2013 at 03:42
Hi, I'm a pianist/keyboard player, lucky to live 5mins from my highschoo, but eventually I will have to go to university and I am going to need an electric practice instrument, because I can't afford another piano and probably won't find an apartment where everybody will be cool with me practicing scales loudly 2+ hours per day ;)
I have a Roland 300GX but am not happy with the non realistic touch (it has always a perfect tone, no matter, how you strike the keys) and am afraid that practicing it would ruin my technique (i have been practicing very wrongly for 7 years or so and hurt my arm and everything, so I really don't want to risk that sh*t again), so I was thinking maybe a fender rhodes has a more realistic touch, since it works partially mechanically. What are your experiences?

Edited by AbrahamSapien - April 21 2013 at 03:44
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:11
I'm not a keyboard player, but played in a band many years ago with a guy who had a Rhodes. Are you talking about the old, traditional, heavy Rhodes?

I used to fiddle on it sometimes and the action is similar to a real piano, but the keys are much easier to hit. They don't spring up like a synth, but go down with less pressure than a real piano. I hope I've been of some help.

I love the Rhodes sound, but GOD! They're heavy to move!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:56
I'm not really a keyboard player, I can play some easy things and have a keyboard, but I have never played a Rhodes.
Have you had a look at the Nord Piano 2? it has a hammer-action keyboard for which you can adjust the touch and you can also play sample keyboard and synth sounds besides just pianos.

"The Fatar TP-40 keybed in each Nord Piano 2 is calibrated at the Clavia factory to ensure an even and homogenous response. Furthermore, 4 selectable Dynamic Response Curves let you adjust the response of the keybed to your playing style, and these can be stored indiviually with each program"

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 02:13
I haven't got any Fender Rhodes experience, but I've had a Yamaha P 15 for over 30 years now, and that instrument would fulfill your requirements concerning touch and tone, I would imagine. A wonderful instrument. The trouble is that it's long obsolete by now, but successor models might be worth checking out. I'd never trade it, and I've had a number of very good offers.
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:55
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:58
Another possibility to consider is a Wurlitzer ep200. They have a real. miniature piano action, unlike the system in a Rhodes and are a lot lighter. I have both, and I know which one I'd rather pick up!
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 23:54
The Rhodes requires decent strength, finger- and hand- and wrist-wise, which is actually a good thing because you can either glance over a note or hammer it and yes there will be a difference in the tone. It's very much a true piano in that sense. It is, as you say, mechanical, and therefore requires more than just a bit more touch than is required on say a usual synth keyboard. I sold mine last summer. It was just sitting in the basement, unplayed. Sad to see it just sit there. So I sold it to someone into retro keyboards. He seemed very happy to get it, and try as they might the modeling synths never can quite duplicate the sound. Bit more...I bought mine for $575 in 1973. Sold in 2012 for $500. It had one broken tine. Other than that, and some road wear, it was in very good condition. Which is to say I wouldn't pay more than $500 or so for one in reasonable condition.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
 Post Reply Post Reply