Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Band: Best Album - Worst Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 20>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 18:46
See I see Animals as the last great Floyd album where Gilmour & Wright's musical influence was fully present before the band disappeared under Water's bile. But opinions vary ;)

Ummagumma disk 1 is one of my all-time favorites, pity about the second disk which has patches of brilliance amongst the rest of the stuff but it doesn't detract from the first disk. Wish it had been a double live album.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 15 2013 at 18:48
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 19:04
^I think the contrast between the two discs, the unpredictability, and the sprawling, "searching for something" vibe are what make Ummagumma fascinating.  More consistent composition would follow but Umma charms with its own personality faults.  Often times listening to musicians "explore" can be brutal but in some cases, like the Floyd, it can be wonderful.  I think that's why their legend endures.  For me anyway.  Had they only made the "big" albums after 1972, I'd be way less interested in them.  It is their early, youthful, by chance wonderful period that keeps my interest all these years later.  Youthful charm and inspiration.  The combination of the great albums and the experimental albums make Floyd so rewarding. 

How's that saying go?  All who wander are not lost......that's Ummagumma (and much of their early work).  Whichever style of Floyd you like better, you could say that one is foreplay for the otherWink

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 19:50
Yes—Topographic Oceans; Fly From Here
Gentle Giant—The Power and the Glory (Some days Free Hand); Giant for a Day
Radiohead—Kid A; Pablo Honey

Fredobobrick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredobobrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 20:15
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

See I see Animals as the last great Floyd album where Gilmour & Wright's musical influence was fully present before the band disappeared under Water's bile. But opinions vary ;)

Ummagumma disk 1 is one of my all-time favorites, pity about the second disk which has patches of brilliance amongst the rest of the stuff but it doesn't detract from the first disk. Wish it had been a double live album.

The live disc of Ummagumma is among my favorites, but the studio version is divided and a bit random for my tastes (like 'Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict', which is not only frightening but completely unnecessary). It isn't that this is a BAD album - it might not even be their worst in my mind - but it IS the least essential.
Keep in mind that this is coming from a newbie. Most Floyd albums had to grow on me anyways, so this might as well. I just don't see it happening.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:04

Santana - Caravanserai and ZebopCool

Deafmoon
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 23:35
Well I know this has been probably said, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Lol

Metallica

Best---Master Of Puppets.        Worst---St. Anger

I consider St. Anger to be by far and away the worst album in my entire cd library.
It's really that bad to me. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 02:20
Originally posted by Fredobobrick Fredobobrick wrote:

The live disc of Ummagumma is among my favorites, but the studio version is divided and a bit random for my tastes (like 'Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict', which is not only frightening but completely unnecessary). It isn't that this is a BAD album - it might not even be their worst in my mind - but it IS the least essential.
Keep in mind that this is coming from a newbie. Most Floyd albums had to grow on me anyways, so this might as well. I just don't see it happening.

Ummagumma is an interesting album and that includes CD1 and CD2 but that doesn't translate into being Floyd's best album. That honour resides with DSOTM or WYWH although PATGOD is pretty damn good. So many people here love Animals too but I'm not one of them (just personal opinion when it comes down to it).

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Fredobobrick Fredobobrick wrote:

Ummagumma is an interesting album and that includes CD1 and CD2 but that doesn't translate into being Floyd's best album. That honour resides with DSOTM or WYWH although PATGOD is pretty damn good. So many people here love Animals too but I'm not one of them (just personal opinion when it comes down to it).

hey don't forget about "The Wall" there!
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyHomoSapien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 13:13
yes; fragile , tales from topographic oceans
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 13:38
Originally posted by FunkyHomoSapien FunkyHomoSapien wrote:

I never understood the negative stigma around Tales. It's my favorite Yes album, as I've stated, but even before I started liking it, there were certainly worse Yes releases to lampoon.

Edited by Polymorphia - August 27 2013 at 13:38
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 13:51
Like this?

Close to the Edge - Open your Eyes 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 13:59
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I never understood the negative stigma around Tales. It's my favorite Yes album, as I've stated, but even before I started liking it, there were certainly worse Yes releases to lampoon.
apparently, some fans recognized some padding in the songs, especially sides 2 and 3 (look it up if u know what i mean), which are true according to Wakeman, who also along with some of those particular fans were awful, dull, and boring 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 14:00
Starcastle - Debut vs Real to Reel 

or Soft Machine- Softs vs Land of Cockayne 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
OberheimRush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OberheimRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 14:12
Rush - Signals/Test for Echo (its not bad, I just don't like it as much as the others).

Genesis - Nursery Cryme/Anything after Genesis (1983).

Yes - Going For The One/Anything after 90125.

Pink Floyd - Animals/Piper at The Gates of Dawn
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

apparently, some fans recognized some padding in the songs, especially sides 2 and 3 (look it up if u know what i mean), which are true according to Wakeman, who also along with some of those particular fans were awful, dull, and boring 
I am aware of the perceived "padding" (can music really be "padded"?) but, to be honest, it doesn't hurt the album for me. And even if it did, there are far worse Yes releases than Tales. Take their newest releases for instance.
Juxienn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juxienn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:25
Focus:
Best: Hamburger Concerto / Moving Waves (it's a tie, can't choose).
Worst: Focus con Proby.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:34
Tangerine Dream: Alpha Centauri/Ricochet - Three O'Clock HighDead
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 04:58
Horslips

Equal Best: The Tain and The Book of Invasions
Worst: The Unfortunate Cup of Tea
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 04:59
Originally posted by Juxienn Juxienn wrote:

Focus:
Best: Hamburger Concerto / Moving Waves (it's a tie, can't choose).
Worst: Focus con Proby.

Oh yes,  oh very much yes
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 05:17
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^I think the contrast between the two discs, the unpredictability, and the sprawling, "searching for something" vibe are what make Ummagumma fascinating.  More consistent composition would follow but Umma charms with its own personality faults.  Often times listening to musicians "explore" can be brutal but in some cases, like the Floyd, it can be wonderful.  I think that's why their legend endures.  For me anyway.  Had they only made the "big" albums after 1972, I'd be way less interested in them.  It is their early, youthful, by chance wonderful period that keeps my interest all these years later.  Youthful charm and inspiration.  The combination of the great albums and the experimental albums make Floyd so rewarding. 

How's that saying go?  All who wander are not lost......that's Ummagumma (and much of their early work).  Whichever style of Floyd you like better, you could say that one is foreplay for the otherWink

Well said! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 20>