Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe UFO Phenomenon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 17:59
Must be a paper from Birmingham Alabama  based on the local weather report in the upper right corner.
5cents for the paper...must have been in the early 50's....?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 18:25
^ the last two digits of the date are showing and it says "47" - I'd take a wild stab at it 1947

From the temperatures in the weather report I'd say it was early summer - probably July.

The article also mentions the "Age-Herald city room", a quick check on Wiki says the Birmingham Age-Herald was owned by the publisher of the Birmingham News, with the former being a morning paper and the later an evening paper. 

So it is most probably the Birmingham News from the evening of 7th (or 8th) July 1947.

Is this date significant in any way?

What?
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 18:50
^Maybe, if throughout the space out of our planet there were some possible detecting effects of the two atomic bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945

Edited by Rick Robson - April 10 2014 at 18:57

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 18:50
Yep it is near the date of the famous Roswell incident.

RAAF Captures Flying Saucer
On Ranch in Roswell Region

Roswell Daily Record, Tuesday, July 8, 1947.

Edited by timothy leary - April 10 2014 at 18:51
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 19:04
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

If the lights are actually the reflections of the deer's eyes, the distance between the lights would have to be less; a deer do not have eyes like an owl. Btw, the company could have a hell of reasons for such birdbrained "explanation".

Yes they do in so far as the reflection of light viewed in the camera is concerned. Many animals have a tapetum lucidum as an ocular layer. Those which are diurnal typically do not express this, such as humans. Animals like deer and owls do.

It's a great example of convergent evolution.
I (now) suspect he may have been referring to monocular vision (deer) vs binocular vision (owl) but his comment about the distance between the lights threw me. Still don't follow what he's getting at though.
What?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 08:10
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

If the lights are actually the reflections of the deer's eyes, the distance between the lights would have to be less; a deer do not have eyes like an owl. Btw, the company could have a hell of reasons for such birdbrained "explanation".

Yes they do in so far as the reflection of light viewed in the camera is concerned. Many animals have a tapetum lucidum as an ocular layer. Those which are diurnal typically do not express this, such as humans. Animals like deer and owls do.

It's a great example of convergent evolution.
I (now) suspect he may have been referring to monocular vision (deer) vs binocular vision (owl) but his comment about the distance between the lights threw me. Still don't follow what he's getting at though.

Yeah. I have a hard time seeing how that, or really anything, would relate to his dismissal.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 03:58
Anyone else followed the case of the mysterious black ring over Leamington Spa which turned out to be a leftover smoke ring from fireworks?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 04:37
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Anyone else followed the case of the mysterious black ring over Leamington Spa which turned out to be a leftover smoke ring from fireworks?
Spooky things have mundane explanations. 

This is the most fascinating aspect of all for me. Flights of fancy and wild speculations are all very entertaining but the analytical and deductive reasoning that assesses the available information and observes correlations in that evidence to produce a plausible and rational explanation that can be verified by further observation and experimentation is the essence of all human discovery. Without this we would still marvel at the Sun-god being carried across the sky by a fiery chariot every day.

...of course "Firework creates perfect smoke-ring" would not have been a news-worthy story.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 04:50
In more serious notes related to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, for the first time the existence of an Earth-like planet in another solar system has been confirmed. Of course, from being able to support life to actually having intelligent life let alone the kind of industrial civilization necessary for space travel is quite the stretch already.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 05:32
a Class M planet, evidently
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 06:17

In more serious notes related to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, for the first timethe existence of an Earth-like planet in another solar system has been confirmed. Of course, from being able to support life to actually having intelligent life let alone the kind of industrial civilization necessary for space travel is quite the stretch already.
I still struggle to see what SETI is actually looking for when it comes to detecting "Intelligence" at cosmic distances. But hey-ho, they do valid work in detecting exoplanets so I guess they can keep the "I" in SETI.

The detection of exoplanets is by passive (ie non-intelligent) perturbation of the star these planets orbit. We can directly observe some exoplanets but at present we can only see massive gas-giants that are orbiting at some distance from the host star. Either way none of these can, or ever will, give any indication of life on those exoplanets, let alone intelligent life.

We know from observations of Mars that occupying the circumstellar habital zone (CMZ) does not automatically mean that water does exist in liquid form on those exoplanets. It is current speculated that Mars has always been too cold for liquid water because its atmosphere has never been thick enough to support it. Similarly, being of Earth-size within the CMZ is also no guarantee that liquid water could exist on the surface, even if it has an atmosphere thick enough for the greenhouse effect to partially regulate surface temperatures between 0°C and 100°C, it also needs a hot liquid core to help regulate surface temperatures and an intrinsic magnetosphere to protect the atmosphere and planet surface. Mars has neither of those for example where as Venus may have a liquid core but since it has an induced magnetosphere it is unlikely. 

We know that Venus is just fractionally outside the CMZ of our solar system, an observer on Kepler-186f using the transit-effect to observe Venus to the same accuracy that we can observe variations in the brightness of Kepler-186 by the transit of Kepler-186f would speculate that Venus is within the CMZ.

Of course that does not mean that Kepler-186f is not habitable, it could be, it's unlikely, but it could be so we can always speculate. Even though direct observation of the only other known CMZ planet within our solar system is gradually moving away from the idea that life could have existed on Mars, we will still get headline-grabbing observations of strange lights and unusually landscape structures in those observations that will spark a wave of speculation that will result in fascinating yet mundane explanations. Again, I find these mundane explanations far more interesting than the speculative theories they generate.

Edited by Dean - April 18 2014 at 06:18
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 04:22
Here's a cornucopia of photos from 1950s ufological convention. Interesting for the documentary insight into what the UFO contactee subculture was like back then. I also remember seeing some photos of country musician Gram Parsons at a similar gathering of ufologists in an old interview with him, might have been the same organization and place a decade later.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 17:20

Here's a cornucopia of photos from 1950s ufological convention. Interesting for the documentary insight into what the UFO contactee subculture was like back then. I also remember seeing some photos of country musician Gram Parsons at a similar gathering of ufologists in an old interview with him, might have been the same organization and place a decade later.
Great pics.....look mostly like ordinary folks to me.
I believe the original conventions were started by George van Tassel...a self proclaimed contactee.

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 17:27
Toaster.......you might find this interesting. A 5 part you tube doc on the original 1950's contactees.

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 12:26
Don't have time to watch that right now, but thanks for the link. I might watch it in the weekend.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 11:28
Finally got around to seeing that UFO contactee documentary. Interesting how much interest the authorities showed, and I liked the way it showed the interaction between the alien contact movement and the local communities. Of course, many of their claims are difficult to verify and I've read critical analyses of the photos shown as likely hoaxes... but it's interesting to see how obvious the religious undertones in UFO culture were back then. Like the missing link between Theosophy and the New Age movement.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 16:29
One step closer to finding extraterrestrial life? Not quite, but still... meanwhile, the philosophical blogger Scott Alexander ponders why we haven't encountered any alien civilization yet. He doesn't really find any satisfactory answer, though as usual the comments section is worth reading since for reasons I don't quite grasp that particular blog attracts some very strange if always erudite commenters. I know SETI technically isn't the same thing as ufology but there's a bit of overlap in field of interest and the two are certainly relevant to each other.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 18:23
*sigh*
What?
weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 01:27
There is no Bigfoot, Zombies, or Flying Saucers and no illegal Kenyan president of the US.Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 01:31
Maybe I should start a second thread for SETI? (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) I gotta wonder if the association with UFOlogy does not exactly give that endeavour a most serious image... though it might kind of endear SETI to the general public.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>