Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 18:23
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

90125 of Yes's career was their commercial hit, but to say that album is more successful than Relayer or Close to the edge would be a mistake. We should be clear that on an artistic, defining moment in prog music's history those albums are the real 'successors.'

I'd still say Yes was at its most consistently successful in both commercial and artistic terms in the 70s. 90125 was their top seller, but was the only album to make the US Top 10 in the 80s whereas they had several in the Top 10 in the 70s - Fragile, CTTE, Tales and Relayer.

Nothing to say about your post. Just wanted to pass compliments on your GROOVY AVATAR - I was one of those unfortunate souls who loved BOTH ELP and the Clash simultaneously and was considered suitable for sectioning under the mental health act by both the Punks and the Hippies (no bad thing really, not belonging to a tribe...)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 18:44
Here's to not liking things just because you were expected to. Thumbs Up

It was reviled, we were hunted down like rabid animals.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 26 2013 at 18:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 19:49
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

If album sales had anything to do with the quality of music then I guess "prog" would be in trouble as it would mean that Michael Jackson's music was of a far better quality than anything that we like here. Heavy sales equates to selling many albums to many people and Justin Bieber will know all about that. You sell more music to musical airheads than you do to serious listeners as there are way more airheads out there who are interested in fads and catchy jingles as opposed to more complex music that you have to spend time with to get what it's about.
90125 and the like were never meant for the serious prog listener - they are aimed at the masses.

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 20:48

If album sales had anything to do with the quality of music then I guess "prog" would be in trouble as it would mean that Michael Jackson's music was of a far better quality than anything that we like here. Heavy sales equates to selling many albums to many people and Justin Bieber will know all about that. You sell more music to musical airheads than you do to serious listeners as there are way more airheads out there who are interested in fads and catchy jingles as opposed to more complex music that you have to spend time with to get what it's about.
90125 and the like were never meant for the serious prog listener - they are aimed at the masses.

Well, I can't think of any prog rock frontman who had/has even close to the sheer charisma of Jackson or who could dare attempt to pull off what Jackson did.  This is not to say Jackson was the greatest artist of all times as I certainly don't equate greatness with album sales but there is no reason to put him down just because he was popular.  Jackson brought music listeners across the universe together for the first and the last time since the Beatles.   And I wonder what do you have to say to the fact that DSOTM alone comfortably outsells Bieber's career album sales thus far by a ratio of 3:1.  Listen to the lyrics of Time and then to those of Don't Stop till you get enough.  They both hit upon the zeitgeist of their time, encapsulated their era in a few words, whether by intention or accident.   There's not a lot of music, prog or otherwise, that has that genius.  Even the 2008 re-issue of Thriller sold over 15 million copies.  It's not just a trendy fad and it's not going away.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 20:56
^ We all know MJ was an entertainer like no other--  at least most of us do.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 20:58
^I always thought he was kind of meh.  People like David Bowie and Prince were much better pop song writers and entertainers IMO.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 21:12

!!!

Sure, it's apparent that music aimed at accessibility tends to lose something in complexity. Look at what is #1 at the movie box office every week--a blockbuster rather than an art film.
My main point, though, is that record sales are a rough guide to whether you're connecting to your potential (not just assured) audience--significant when record companies were the big swinging dicks they were then. When a confluence of crossover fans (here meant as those not regular purchasers of your music), critics (to the extent they influence demand) and diehard fans all indicate that appeal through buying and sharing, I'd say quality has been achieved.
Since you mention 90125, I believe such a confluence occurred--prog fans alone can't account for the popularity it enjoyed. And I give Yes--especially Squire and Rabin--credit for doing what they felt was necessary to remain viable. After all, they'd been gone for 3 years. Had it not been the phenomenon it was, the band itself might not have survived 3 decades (!) since.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

^I always thought he was kind of meh.  People like David Bowie and Prince were much better pop song writers and entertainers IMO.
Perhaps, but Jackson's athletic ability, musical restraint and taste were refreshing after the tragically hip artistry of Prince and Bowie.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 23:54
In the 70's, I never heard of the term "prog rock."  Yes, ELP, King Crimson etc. were usually referred to as "art rock" or "theater rock" or something.  

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Who and even Jethro Tull were usually termed as "hard rock," with more of a musical foundation in the American blues.  Jimmy Page once bristled that Led Zep was termed "heavy metal" and stated that "hard rock" was the correct term. 

Regardless, it seems that many of these bands drew immense crowds at huge venues, whether indoors or outdoors, well into the 1980's.   The concerts were immense pot-smoking parties, crowded with legit hippies, wanna-be hippies, all sorts of freaks and straights....very tame, no fights etc.  (well, usually).  

The alternative side to prog would have been pop....Jackson Five, Cowsills, The Carpenters, Captain and Tenille, etc.  I think they tended to play much smaller venues and didn't have the draw that prog had.  If they did, I never heard about it.  

So yes, what we call "prog" was hugely popular in the 1970s.  And, it was damn fun too!  
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 00:46
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

OK, who spiked Dean's tea? LOL

My thoughts exactly. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 02:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Lord_Adon Lord_Adon wrote:

If prog were popular it would have been called pop.

It was but it wasn't.

Dark Side Of The Moon found the perfect balance and arguably was closer to pop than prog but then we have the discussion about what is prog. ie long complex tracks instead of music for radio consumption. Some bands were clever enough to straddle both things but that was a tightrope that you could only fall off eventually.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 03:45
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Nothing to say about your post. Just wanted to pass compliments on your GROOVY AVATAR - I was one of those unfortunate souls who loved BOTH ELP and the Clash simultaneously and was considered suitable for sectioning under the mental health act by both the Punks and the Hippies (no bad thing really, not belonging to a tribe...)

It is rather fine isn't it?  I can't take credit for it though as I stole it from another website. I actually got into Prog and grew my hair in the summer of 1977. As timing goes it was right up there with Godley and Creme releasing a TRIPLE concept album the same year.LOL Didn't much care for the Clash but loved the Stranglers, which gave me some limited street cred and probably stopped me getting beaten up once or twice at school.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 06:16

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!! Pig

A lot of really dumb things can be said on this subject and all of it to do with elitism and pretentiousness - the whole mindset that what you like is better than anything everyone else likes because you are a better person and have better taste and better appreciation of music. Calling people who buy music you don't like "airheads" is playground taunting and best left there.

I own Thriller, I can't say that I liked it much after the first two or three plays and it sits in my album rack unplayed since 1983, but I do recognise its quality on all levels, I can also recognise that a lot of music that we call Prog falls short even if I do like it a lot and play it regularly.

The age-group and social profile of the people in the 70s who were into Prog are the same demographic who listen to whatever was considered "serious" music in later decades - those people didn't listen to Donny Osmond or Bananrama or the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber. When making these comparisons you have to compare like with like - comparing the best of one genre you like to the worse of another that you would never buy regardless of which decade you were born in is specious, just as comparing whatever is "in" with the current generation of young white male well-educated types (I dunno, I'm too old to even guess what they listen to but I bet it's not Justin Bieber) to the teeny-bopper music of the 70s is fallacious.
What?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 08:17
What counts as popular is a tricky thing. Zeppelin was popular among cool people (of any age). Michael Jackson was popular but not very cool. I would have been socially embarrassed to be anywhere close to someone grooving to that in highschool. I knew some of Prog in the 70s though only peripherally, but among white males in the suburbs in the early 80s in the confines of Western NY it was exceptionally popular in a sort of cool underground fashion. There was no shame about being uncool playing Prog music or wearing Prog t-shirts when I was in highschool in the early 80s.. The same may perhaps cannot be said about other geographical regions, I don't know. But getting back to the seventies, I know Dean has a good sense of the scene in its the Prog main homeland, but a thing I'm curious about is how widespread was its success geographically in the 70s. I suspect that at it's height it may have been exceptionally popular in the northeast US, but never really swept the nation. Happy to be wrong though.

Edited by HackettFan - April 27 2013 at 08:21
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:00
Was never exceptionally popular in Denmark, if we are talking Yes Genesis King Crimson ELP VDGG GG, and compare to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Status Que, Nazereth, Slade , Sweet. Ect.
Prog was for a special kind of listener, even at its prime.
Not to mention all the Mainstream stars, Donny Osmond, Elton John, Wings, Fleetwood Mac, ect, was doing much better (no surprise)
Pink Floyd is the only prog band, making it very big, in the 70's, in Denmark.
And then some of the "more or less prog" like Manfred Man, Mike Oldfield, Supertramp, Roxy Music, Bowie.

Edited by tamijo - April 27 2013 at 10:06
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:07
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Thumbs Up
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:08
Unless my memory is playing dirty tricks on me, the label "progressive rock" (let alone "prog") didn't use to be the primary descriptor of great many bands that we are discussing here on PA today. 

Many of the top bands listed here, Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull and others used to be called symphonic-, art-, psychedelic-, hard-, folk- etc. rock.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:11
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

What counts as popular is a tricky thing. Zeppelin was popular among cool people (of any age). Michael Jackson was popular but not very cool. I would have been socially embarrassed to be anywhere close to someone grooving to that in highschool. I knew some of Prog in the 70s though only peripherally, but among white males in the suburbs in the early 80s in the confines of Western NY it was exceptionally popular in a sort of cool underground fashion. There was no shame about being uncool playing Prog music or wearing Prog t-shirts when I was in highschool in the early 80s.. The same may perhaps cannot be said about other geographical regions, I don't know. But getting back to the seventies, I know Dean has a good sense of the scene in its the Prog main homeland, but a thing I'm curious about is how widespread was its success geographically in the 70s. I suspect that at it's height it may have been exceptionally popular in the northeast US, but never really swept the nation. Happy to be wrong though.

Your wrong just in one small area where by MICHEAL JACKSON was very cool. Have you seen that f**ker Dance? sh*t, everyone was moonwalking in 1982. Lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!! Pig

A lot of really dumb things can be said on this subject and all of it to do with elitism and pretentiousness - the whole mindset that what you like is better than anything everyone else likes because you are a better person and have better taste and better appreciation of music. Calling people who buy music you don't like "airheads" is playground taunting and best left there.

I own Thriller, I can't say that I liked it much after the first two or three plays and it sits in my album rack unplayed since 1983, but I do recognise its quality on all levels, I can also recognise that a lot of music that we call Prog falls short even if I do like it a lot and play it regularly.

The age-group and social profile of the people in the 70s who were into Prog are the same demographic who listen to whatever was considered "serious" music in later decades - those people didn't listen to Donny Osmond or Bananrama or the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber. When making these comparisons you have to compare like with like - comparing the best of one genre you like to the worse of another that you would never buy regardless of which decade you were born in is specious, just as comparing whatever is "in" with the current generation of young white male well-educated types (I dunno, I'm too old to even guess what they listen to but I bet it's not Justin Bieber) to the teeny-bopper music of the 70s is fallacious.

You don't wanna know what they listen to. You would cry in your soup. I say soup because you claim to be 'so old' so I assume you have no teeth. Lol. Na seriously though Dean you are very open minded and offer a lot of great insights to topics that revolve around youth or experience. Are you of the BOOMER generation?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:28
I am not white but I am young and male and I know lots of people who don't like prog but are interested in rock.  None of them like Spice Girls or Bieber.  Bieber has just become a cliche to diss everything that is to do with mainstream music as if the mainstream has never promoted any artists better than him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>