Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:34
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Your wrong just in one small area where by MICHEAL JACKSON was very cool. Have you seen that f**ker Dance? sh*t, everyone was moonwalking in 1982. Lol

You might be on to something, Nick....why just a few hours ago I tried pulling a kind of Jackson-styled dance move, and totally f**ked up my left leg.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Your wrong just in one small area where by MICHEAL JACKSON was very cool. Have you seen that f**ker Dance? sh*t, everyone was moonwalking in 1982. Lol

You might be on to something, Nick....why just a few hours ago I tried pulling a kind of Jackson-styled dance move, and totally f**ked up my left leg.

The fact that you tried has me quite impressed. I've yet to give it a go cause I wanna keep my legs.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:42

The fact that you tried has me quite impressed. I've yet to give it a go cause I wanna keep my legs.

Worst was the fact that no-one else was around, I wasn't even trying to impress anyone lol! I randomly pulled that move out at home to a song that came on the TV....as I screwed it up (it was that sort of kick thing he used to do), my leg corked and I crumbled to the floor in agony. Thing is, if I'd pulled off the move properly, even in my pain, I would have been pretty pleased with myself
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:48

Worst was the fact that no-one else was around, I wasn't even trying to impress anyone lol! I randomly pulled that move out at home to a song that came on the TV....as I screwed it up (it was that sort of kick thing he used to do), my leg corked and I crumbled to the floor in agony. Thing is, if I'd pulled off the move properly, even in my pain, I would have been pretty pleased with myself

Should've filmed it. Imagine trying to do that move to a PFM record. Awkward? Also you would be amazed at the dance moves Ive blended with my prog favourites. I do a good James LaBRIE impression...lots of hand jesters. Oh too funny and of course I do this privately. It's my world! Ha ha
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:34
Speaking of movies, don't forget that "Yessongs" was far more than a double-vinyl LP!  The movie "Yessongs" was a theatrical release and attracted very healthy audiences at screenings in the USA:

This was in 1975.  I don't think Justin Bieber has a full-length concert movie yet.  What would it be called, "Give Me Back My Monkey!" ??  What a w*nker. 

From Amazon.com: 

Yes was on tour to promote the recent release of Close to the Edge when this energetic performance was captured on 16-millimeter film in London's Rainbow Theatre in December 1972. 

Although this DVD was mastered from a ragged print (with plenty of scratches evident throughout), this is actually the better of the two Yes discs available (the other--Live in Philadelphia--has an even murkier transfer from videotape), with marginally better sound quality and a 75-minute performance that finds the band at the height of their "early years" popularity. 

The lineup is the same as that of the 1979 performance in Philadelphia (Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Alan White, Rick Wakeman), but this concert is by a much younger, much more ambitious band that was still forging its formidable prog-rock identity. As a result this is the more valuable of the two Yes performances on DVD--a tighter, sharper, more satisfying look at the band at the peak of their creativity. 

It's also worth noting that they allowed room for solo improvisations (such as Howe's playful rendition of "The Clap" and Wakeman's excerpts from "The Six Wives of Henry VIII"), but as a group they remained intimately faithful to their studio recordings. And although even die-hard fans will grumble about the film's murky quality (which DVD can do nothing to improve), camera access was adequate for this show and each member of the band is given adequate screen time to demonstrate his instrumental virtuosity--particularly Howe, whose guitar work here is nothing short of amazing. 

While it's unfortunate that both DVDs featuring live Yes music leave much to be desired, this disc is definitely worth owning if you've ever wanted to see the giants of '70s prog-rock at the top of their game. --Jeff Shannon
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:44
Ermm My Yessongs vinyl is a tripple album - you need to take your's back and get a refund.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 12:46
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

What counts as popular is a tricky thing. Zeppelin was popular among cool people (of any age). Michael Jackson was popular but not very cool. I would have been socially embarrassed to be anywhere close to someone grooving to that in highschool.
That "cool" thing is very important (when you are a teenager), it is also inversely proportional to popularity - when I was at school it was very uncool to like T.Rex if you were of the clique that listened to Zappa or Beefheart, King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generator, Moody Blues or Pink Floyd, Genesis or Yes - however you were permitted to like Tyrannosaurus Rex - moreover it was really cool to say you liked them before Bolan went electric. In a high school in North Bedfordshire UK in the early 1970s Led Zeppelin were considered the epitome of uncool, even by kids who'd walk around with a copy of Masters Of Reality or In Rock tucked under their arm, such is the fickleness of cool.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 13:07

You don't wanna know what they listen to. You would cry in your soup. I say soup because you claim to be 'so old' so I assume you have no teeth. Lol. Na seriously though Dean you are very open minded and offer a lot of great insights to topics that revolve around youth or experience. Are you of the BOOMER generation?
Let's say I have most of my teeth, I am British so would be fitted into the bad-teeth stereotype whether it was true or not - soup is not something I enjoy, I honestly don't see the point of it. I have no real concept of what a boomer is and don't specifically associate myself with that generation eventhough technically I belong, nor would I associate myself with Generation X. I actually think the generation that invented Prog (ie MY generation) are the inbetweenies that come from that overlap between the two - too young to be beatniks or hippies, to old to be punks and that is why Prog is so difficult to pin down to any single ideal, subculture, style or motivation.
What?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I don't think Justin Bieber has a full-length concert movie yet.  What would it be called, "Give Me Back My Monkey!" ??  What a w*nker. 

Sadly, Cstack3, Justin Bieber DID have a full-length concert/doco movie, in 3D no less! I only remember this because several girls in my office mentioned when it came out they were off to watch it....think I said something like `Well, you might as well have just taken that money....and flushed it down the toilet!"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm My Yessongs vinyl is a tripple album - you need to take your's back and get a refund.

Cry  It's been a lonnnng time since I pulled that out of storage!  I never cared for the sound quality of the vinyl, and since I saw that show live (Sept. 22, 1972, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago) I feel I saw a superior performance.  They were simply amazing. 

It had a cool booklet as I recall...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 15:28

I don't think Justin Bieber has a full-length concert movie yet.  What would it be called, "Give Me Back My Monkey!" ??  What a w*nker. 

Sadly, Cstack3, Justin Bieber DID have a full-length concert/doco movie, in 3D no less! I only remember this because several girls in my office mentioned when it came out they were off to watch it....think I said something like `Well, you might as well have just taken that money....and flushed it down the toilet!"

That is freakin' SICK!  

Michael Jackson's swan song movie "This Is It" was pretty good, all things considered.  His guitarist, the Aussie lass Orithani, was excellent. 
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 16:43

Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

If album sales had anything to do with the quality of music then I guess "prog" would be in trouble as it would mean that Michael Jackson's music was of a far better quality than anything that we like here. Heavy sales equates to selling many albums to many people and Justin Bieber will know all about that. You sell more music to musical airheads than you do to serious listeners as there are way more airheads out there who are interested in fads and catchy jingles as opposed to more complex music that you have to spend time with to get what it's about.
90125 and the like were never meant for the serious prog listener - they are aimed at the masses.

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!! Pig

A lot of really dumb things can be said on this subject and all of it to do with elitism and pretentiousness - the whole mindset that what you like is better than anything everyone else likes because you are a better person and have better taste and better appreciation of music. Calling people who buy music you don't like "airheads" is playground taunting and best left there.

I own Thriller, I can't say that I liked it much after the first two or three plays and it sits in my album rack unplayed since 1983, but I do recognise its quality on all levels, I can also recognise that a lot of music that we call Prog falls short even if I do like it a lot and play it regularly.

The age-group and social profile of the people in the 70s who were into Prog are the same demographic who listen to whatever was considered "serious" music in later decades - those people didn't listen to Donny Osmond or Bananrama or the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber. When making these comparisons you have to compare like with like - comparing the best of one genre you like to the worse of another that you would never buy regardless of which decade you were born in is specious, just as comparing whatever is "in" with the current generation of young white male well-educated types (I dunno, I'm too old to even guess what they listen to but I bet it's not Justin Bieber) to the teeny-bopper music of the 70s is fallacious.

The cool kids today? My guess is they listen to the kind of music on their car stereos that can be measured on the  Richter Scale (and it's probably on a car that their dad bought for them). I grew up in the sort of environment you described, though I was one of the oddballs at my school, so I only have an idea of what the cool kids listened to. You would be right though, Justin Bieber to that crowd was just an object of ridicule, hardly a sought after musical artist.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 04:40

Cry  It's been a lonnnng time since I pulled that out of storage!  I never cared for the sound quality of the vinyl, and since I saw that show live (Sept. 22, 1972, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago) I feel I saw a superior performance.  They were simply amazing. 

It had a cool booklet as I recall...
Alas Roger Dean's artwork outstripped the quality of the recording by a long way, even after the alleged overdubs and piecing it together from various gigs as well as the Rainbow show from the film version. I had the poster on my bedroom wall for sometime before I decided to paint all four walls (and the ceiling) in a poor imitation of that alien vista (later wallpapered over in floral prints by my sister when I moved out). Still, it's my favourite live Yes album, partly for nostalgic reasons, partly because of the rawness of it and partly for the live versions of Trooper and Perpetual Change...
What?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 10:47

Cry  It's been a lonnnng time since I pulled that out of storage!  I never cared for the sound quality of the vinyl, and since I saw that show live (Sept. 22, 1972, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago) I feel I saw a superior <FONT size=1 ="Apple-style-span"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 9px" ="Apple-style-span">performance.  They were simply amazing. </SPAN>

<FONT size=1 ="Apple-style-span"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 9px" ="Apple-style-span"></SPAN>

<FONT size=1 ="Apple-style-span"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 9px" ="Apple-style-span">It had a cool booklet as I recall...</SPAN>

Alas Roger Dean's artwork outstripped the quality of the recording by a long way, even after the alleged overdubs and piecing it together from various gigs as well as the Rainbow show from the film version. I had the poster on my bedroom wall for sometime before I decided to paint all four walls (and the ceiling) in a poor imitation of that alien vista (later wallpapered over in floral prints by my sister when I moved out). Still, it's my favourite live Yes album, partly for nostalgic reasons, partly because of the rawness of it and partly for the live versions of Trooper and Perpetual Change...

My favorite track on it is Yours Is No Disgrace, with Steve absolutely wailing . . .
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

... My official answer is yes to some degree it was. To some degree it still is. The 80's and 90's not so much. Smile

It was just as good in the 80's and 90's and Guy Guden's shows in Santa Barbara show this really well ... the fact that we had gotten kids by then, only meant that we could not go out and buy another 10 albums, and could only afford 1 or 2 or the wife would kill us!!!!!

The music was ALWAYS there ... we either noticed or not. Peter Hammill never stopped ... and saying that his middle period is not good is insane ... his 80's and 90's is absolutely unequivocally his very best!

We just didn't hear it, because we were stuck in a top ten mentality and everything had to sound like the Gods of yesterday ... we just don't learn, do we? what the meaning of the process and "progressive" was really about! Continually stuck in our diapers and googoogirls that we wanted to make it with!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:28
I'm curious about something-what was the reception Wallenstein got in America in the seventies? Were they played on the FM radio? Did they tour in North America back then? Any of you guys recall?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:39
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

The only other kind of music I was aware of at the time (apart from older genres) was disco. So, I suppose prog rock was rather mainstream. 

Hahahahahaha ... love this ...

Party
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:45

Six years of reading the same old bollocks can have a similar effect.

I think it's more getting people to think a little more, before they post something ... it's almost always the same question and now I can see why you leave the threads on to continue forever ... so people stop asking some of the questions yet again.

It can be disconcerting, also, to find how musically uneducated (not the ABC's -- but history of music, even in general) ... but they will stand here and fight for their favorites, and SD will also stomp and agree with everything you say! You enjoy having a mutt around?
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 17:05

Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

If album sales had anything to do with the quality of music then I guess "prog" would be in trouble as it would mean that Michael Jackson's music was of a far better quality than anything that we like here. Heavy sales equates to selling many albums to many people and Justin Bieber will know all about that. You sell more music to musical airheads than you do to serious listeners as there are way more airheads out there who are interested in fads and catchy jingles as opposed to more complex music that you have to spend time with to get what it's about.
90125 and the like were never meant for the serious prog listener - they are aimed at the masses.

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!

But remember that this was NOT the fact in the 50's and 60's ... and early 70's ... this was not just a "progressive" revolution" it was also a "jazz" revolution and many other experimental music ... and all too often we fail to remind ourselves of this fact ... !!!

Look, and I say this all the time ... the 60's was about the MEDIA explosion, and music, along with anything else came to the forefront ... there is no "secret" to it, and no such thing as it was there in the late 60's and was not there in the 90's ... the media had already exposed it ... up to and including the famous one about the gun going off in the kids head in VietNam and other things ... the "reality" was now HERE ... but we do not, today, understand how much this was a part of our growing up and learning.

Today, the only thing they have learned, BY COMPARISON, is about advertising ... not finding out the world exists, because part of the media scoop these days is to make sure that you do not know or understand ... the other side of the world, or ANYTHING ELSE, except the top ten ... it's "advertising" making sure you pay your "daddy"!

So, prog, and anything else, was as popular as anything else and how far you looked ... I could not get the LA TIMES to give a damn about music in London and Europe, so myself and Guy did about 2 or 3 times a month a jaunt to LA to get Melody Maker and see a couple of films along the way ... stuff that London had, but America didn't!

The issue STILL IS ... how much do you want to see? How much do you want to hear?

Answer that first!

www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 17:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Six years of reading the same old bollocks can have a similar effect.

I think it's more getting people to think a little more, before they post something ... it's almost always the same question and now I can see why you leave the threads on to continue forever ... so people stop asking some of the questions yet again.
As I said, six years of reading the same old bollocks...

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You enjoy having a mutt around?
I'm more a cat person myself. A cat and some insekt repellant and I'm happy.

Edited by Dean - April 28 2013 at 17:10
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>