Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I wonder how many people here walk away from a two hour show moaning about what the band didn't play rather than enjoying in what they did play?
A few of those attending some of the late Genesis concerts LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:10
Aye. LOL
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:17

I wonder how many people here walk away from a two hour show moaning about what the band didn't play rather than enjoying in what they did play?

The setlist, the lineup, blah blah, it goes on.  I know people who can lament and criticise a show even before attending it (in fact, in such cases they do not intend to, and perhaps therefore want to ruin the experience for those who are a bit more open minded).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I know people who can lament and criticise a show even before attending it (in fact, in such cases they do not intend to, and perhaps therefore want to ruin the experience for those who are a bit more open minded).
Well, there's the theory that the less expectant you attend a show the more you will enjoy it, rather than expecting too much and likely coming out disappointed Tongue

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:26
Yeah, but in this case, these were people who didn't attend.  They tried to spread their pre-conceived notions to the rest.  It didn't dent the attendance at that show, though, nor the enthusiasm of either the band or the audience.  Wink
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 06:28

Not moaning but a  "I wish they'd played...."
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 08:32

That's precisely why Roger Waters is able to travel around the world with The Wall for the third year in a row. People get exactly what they're expecting. No surprises, no new stuff, not even a slightly new rendition of the songs. The guitarist is copying Gilmour note for note. 
It was very enjoyable. LOL

Daniellei View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

spambeats

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 09:49

I am confirm that prog  music is popular in the70s.I believe that not only prog music is favorite to me but also everybody loves prog.I am very glad to read article about prog.If you want to collect more songs,let's get started!

/admin edit: sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam, sorry Squire, I've scrached your spam,

Edited by Dean - May 11 2013 at 11:19
Cornelius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:58
I think L.S.D

Changed a lot of peoples listening habits in the 70s Man!..
I Like To Drink Cough Medicine..!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:14
Then we went decimal in '71 and all that librae, solidi, denarii disapeared.
What?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yeah, but in this case, these were people who didn't attend.  They tried to spread their pre-conceived notions to the rest.  It didn't dent the attendance at that show, though, nor the enthusiasm of either the band or the audience.  Wink

Or wouldn'tattend. How many sneer at personnel decisions that result in a line-up that they disapprove of, to the extent they refuse to attend a show to judge for themselves?!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 15:05
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

That's precisely why Roger Waters is able to travel around the world with The Wall for the third year in a row. People get exactly what they're expecting. No surprises, no new stuff, not even a slightly new rendition of the songs. The guitarist is copying Gilmour note for note. 

I disagree, and find this unfair.

Things like "The Wall" are a one in a lifetime chance to see something that is out of this world and not just a rock'less and meaningless piece of music and experience.

You might never ever have the appreciation for having caught a Pavarotti, or a Misha, or a Nureyev, or a Segovia ... and "The Wall" fits in to the grand category ... and you make it sound like any of those people did not dance, or move, or play, or sing ... something else that was not there before!

Trashing PF on that note is unfair and an unkind gesture!

It just tells you that Genesis, does not have enough care and respect for "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", to show it on a stage ever again! ... but no ... you trash Roger, for something that he cares and has been fairly honorable about for half his life!

That's grossly unfair! Specially when you compare it to 2nd rate groups doing nothing but "their hits" all their life!

Edited by moshkito - August 03 2013 at 15:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 16:46
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Hi, I'm curious to know whether the most well known prog had some popularity at it's peak. Like, was stuff like Close to the Edge or Foxtrot commonly known during that time or just a mere niche? This was before my time so I'm very curious to know exactly what prog significance was during it's peak.  

It was a glorious time indeed. As already mentioned FM radio then played a key role, but not just by playing the music, but also offering lots of inside info about these bands.  All these bands were  touring at the same as they must have crossed paths in the skies in their jets. I was very lucky as I was living in San Francisco at the time and the Bay Area was concert goers paradise. Within a three or four  month period I saw ELP, Yes, and The Strawbs. all of them always sold out.
I remember going to see Genesis The Lamb lies Down On Broadway show in Berkeley and blew the top of my head off! The audience was deafening when they came back out and played The Musical Box & Watcher Of The Skies for their encores. That show became the crowning moment of concerts for me. But it was 1975 and things were starting to change. And here we are in 2013 and Prog is still popular today in its many shapes and forms which is a testament  to the greatness and timelessness of the music and its musicians.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 17:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I disagree, and find this unfair.

Things like "The Wall" are a one in a lifetime chance to see something that is out of this world and not just a rock'less and meaningless piece of music and experience.

You might never ever have the appreciation for having caught a Pavarotti, or a Misha, or a Nureyev, or a Segovia ... and "The Wall" fits in to the grand category ... and you make it sound like any of those people did not dance, or move, or play, or sing ... something else that was not there before!

Trashing PF on that note is unfair and an unkind gesture!

It just tells you that Genesis, does not have enough care and respect for "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", to show it on a stage ever again! ... but no ... you trash Roger, for something that he cares and has been fairly honorable about for half his life!

That's grossly unfair! Specially when you compare it to 2nd rate groups doing nothing but "their hits" all their life!

You have an uncanny power to misunderstand almost everything. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 00:09
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Hi, I'm curious to know whether the most well known prog had some popularity at it's peak. Like, was stuff like Close to the Edge or Foxtrot commonly known during that time or just a mere niche? This was before my time so I'm very curious to know exactly what prog significance was during it's peak.  

It was a glorious time indeed. As already mentioned FM radio then played a key role, but not just by playing the music, but also offering lots of inside info about these bands.  All these bands were  touring at the same as they must have crossed paths in the skies in their jets. I was very lucky as I was living in San Francisco at the time and the Bay Area was concert goers paradise. Within a three or four  month period I saw ELP, Yes, and The Strawbs. all of them always sold out.

I was in the SF Bay Area too and I remember when both "Going for the One" and "Tormato" was released FM station KOME made a big deal out of it and played them in their entirety.  We also had a local DJ named Greg Stone who had a weekly prog radio show called "Stone Trek".  He switched radio stations a few times but his show was always on Sunday nights.  He did a good job of mixing well known prog with some lesser known bands and a lot of Genesis and Yes bootleg recordings.  He never went really deep obscure into non-English bands like Ange or Banco or US bands like Yezda Urfa or Mirthrandir, but his show was a nice break from hearing Led Zeppelin-Bad Company-Journey-Jefferson Starship 24/7 LOL 
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 18:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

[QUOTE=fudgenuts64]

I was in the SF Bay Area too and I remember when both "Going for the One" and "Tormato" was released FM station KOME made a big deal out of it and played them in their entirety.  We also had a local DJ named Greg Stone who had a weekly prog radio show called "Stone Trek".  He switched radio stations a few times but his show was always on Sunday nights.  He did a good job of mixing well known prog with some lesser known bands and a lot of Genesis and Yes bootleg recordings.  He never went really deep obscure into non-English bands like Ange or Banco or US bands like Yezda Urfa or Mirthrandir, but his show was a nice break from hearing Led Zeppelin-Bad Company-Journey-Jefferson Starship 24/7 LOL 

Yeah, good 'ol KOME! How can I forget! Man this is taking me back! I'm not sure if I remember Greg Stone, but I do remember the bootleg recordings. I always made sure I had a blank cassette ready to record something. I do remember one night they played a whole  side of PFM's Photos of Ghosts. It's the first time I'd heard them. Man I wish I still had that bag of cassettes!

I agree, "Zeppelin, Bad Company, Journey-Jefferson Starship!" Ad-nauseum!

Big smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 19:07

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

[QUOTE=fudgenuts64]

Yeah, good 'ol KOME! How can I forget! Man this is taking me back! I'm not sure if I remember Greg Stone, but I do remember the bootleg recordings. I always made sure I had a blank cassette ready to record something. I do remember one night they played a whole  side of PFM's Photos of Ghosts. It's the first time I'd heard them. Man I wish I still had that bag of cassettes!

I agree, "Zeppelin, Bad Company, Journey-Jefferson Starship!" Ad-nauseum!

Big smile

Ya, there were also these great independently owned record shops that catered to prog.  Greg Stone either owned - or worked at - one in downtown Los Gatos called "The Galactic Zoo" (where I bought "Pawn Hearts").  In West San Jose you had "The Dedicated Record Collector".  Downtown near San Jose State University was "Underground Records" (where I bought all my King Crimson bootlegs).  And in Sunnyvale near my house was "Phonograph Records".  I rode my 10 speed down one early September Saturday in 1977 and told the guy behind the counter I'd seen some really cool album covers from some band called King Crimson, and asked if he could tell me anything about them.  He get's this evil smile and says, "I'll put something on so you can hear them for yourself"  He then dropped the needle on Fracture and changed my life Thumbs Up   
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 03:54
I doubt crimson and genesis had big concerts in the 70s like Tull, yes, elp etc. I don't like crimson and genesis from 1970-75 as much as Tull and yes in this era. I reckon gentle giant deserved bigger followings and van der graaf would have had a bigger following if they didn't break up between 1972 and 74. Not sure why elp became so big. They were pretty crap after 1973
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 04:10
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Not sure why elp became so big. They were pretty crap after 1973
Ya..... and thats why.
The golden rule is : Crap get more attention from media = more sales.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 04:16
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I doubt crimson and genesis had big concerts in the 70s like Tull, yes, elp etc. I don't like crimson and genesis from 1970-75 as much as Tull and yes in this era. I reckon gentle giant deserved bigger followings and van der graaf would have had a bigger following if they didn't break up between 1972 and 74. Not sure why elp became so big. They were pretty crap after 1973
Where was it you obtained your PhD in Progology exactly? I really do think you should send it back and ask for a refund, then change your name of course.

Genesis were playing stadiums from 1974 (Lamb) onwards. Crimson were also playing stadiums such as The Hollywood Sportatorium in Miami in 1974. GG weren't quite at that level but were reasonably sucessful as a touring band and did actually head line a stadium gig (albeit in Liverpool) given their minority appeal (whether they deserved that is immaterial).
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>