Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 00:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

As far as Texas... Just the fact that Roky Erikson and the Elevators are from there covers that state tenfold for cred...

He's not prog but imho Stevie Ray Vaughn, born and raised in Texas , gives Texas all the creds it needs.

Cool

Another prog connection with Texas...ZZ Top was the opening act on one of the King Crimson '74 tour shows Wink

ZZ Top opened the show for Deep Purple in Chicago in 1972, "Made In Japan" era.  They were really very impressive!  

Deep Purple blew our heads off, they were young & in their prime!  RIP Jon Lord! 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 10:17
Meanwhile, back in the rest of the world... Wink
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Matheusms View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 09:35
Here in Brazil, prog was never popular in terms of producing successful bands but, as far as I know, there were always lots of fans, especially for the english groups.You probably already know Bacamarte but there were few other bands that got recognition like O Terço and Vimana. Musicians like Milton Nascimento were very influenced by prog acts; in his amazing album Minas, it gets quite obvious in songs like Ponta de Areia and Trastevere - both of them also very influenced by the american fusion.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 18:50
It sure did. Other people have said it right, Floyd, Tull, ELP, Crimson where. selling more album`s but. Genesis to me where the top. Progressive `70`s band. there live show`s where WOW. But there where other band`s with a great following. But not the hot`s seller`s in Prog!. I had a great time being a. Teenager. Of the `70`s. Buying the just released album. Then the gig. That was a very time. To be sure
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 20:08
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

It sure did. Other people have said it right, Floyd, Tull, ELP, Crimson where. selling more album`s but. Genesis to me where the top. Progressive `70`s band. there live show`s where WOW. But there where other band`s with a great following. But not the hot`s seller`s in Prog!. I had a great time being a. Teenager. Of the `70`s. Buying the just released album. Then the gig. That was a very time. To be sure

Genesis are like The Beatles with me, they are the Masters of melody.
I adore Genesis for how they create unbelievable melody along with solid progressive tendencies in their music...well at least up until 1980. :) Out of all the bands mentioned in your post my beloved would be Genesis with Floyd riding shot-gun.   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 03:55
"Actually popular" (in thread title) is best judged by sales.
Best selling albums ever:
1. Thriller. (released in 1982, so is outside the scope of this discussion)
2. Dark Side Of The Moon.
I rest my case.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 06:33

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Another prog connection with Texas...ZZ Top was the opening act on one of the King Crimson '74 tour shows Wink

That's interesting...........did they play any of their old songs from the Moving Sidewalk's incarnation?
Big smile

No idea...according to my source on 6/16/74 at the Denver Coliseum Golden Earring opened, ZZ Top played next, and King Crimson was the headliner LOL

That must have been a confusing experience for quite a few people in the audience. I'm not sure there's very much overlap between the three groups' fanbases, even though KC played some pretty heavy stuff at the time.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:37
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

ZZ Top opened the show for Deep Purple in Chicago in 1972, "Made In Japan" era.  They were really very impressive!  

Deep Purple blew our heads off, they were young & in their prime!  RIP Jon Lord! 

Mostly because they were loud, not because they were that good on stage. When I saw them at the Long Beach Arena, with Leon Russell, they were out of tune, too loud, and I walked out before halfway in the show. It was ridiculous that such a "big" and "famous" band would sound that bad! There is no excuse for a band that made that much money! One of the main reasons, why I do not consider them as important a band as others!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 11:41
Heavy and progressive rock were 'underground' in the seventies, even if the bands sold a lot of albums.

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 08:48
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Heavy and progressive rock were 'underground' in the seventies, even if the bands sold a lot of albums.

How can they be underground and sell a lot of albums? 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 08:59
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I think I know what he means---they had a cultish following--a big one but not popularly accepted like Zep, Stones, Who, Eagles, CSNY, etc
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:21
Let's have another peek at the UK album charts forty years ago.  http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/3/1974-01-05/

This week forty years ago the Number 1 album was Tales From Topographic Oceans.  The Number 2 album was Brain Salad Surgery.   Not enough?  Further down the list we have Dark Side Of The Moon still in the Top 20 after almost a year.

What's your definition of "properly accepted"? To me, it means 'normal' people buy the music. (ie not people who mainly consider themself prog fans)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:24

"Actually popular" (in thread title) is best judged by sales.
Best selling albums ever:
1. Thriller. (released in 1982, so is outside the scope of this discussion)
2. Dark Side Of The Moon.
I rest my case.

Well, there are also a lot of people who debate about just how prog Pink Floyd are, as opposed to bands like KC or ELP which are more or less unanimously regarded as prog.  

I have twice had the opportunity to listen to Casey's Coast to Coast American top 40 programs on a radio channel that for whatever reason sees fit to play their selections for different years from the 1970s.  I came across 1975 and 1977 and both years were dominated by pop.  The situation might have been different in UK but not only was there nothing proggy, let alone out and out prog, in the top 10 on both occasions, it wasn't particularly different from or better than whatever passes for the top 40 these days.  There were barely any songs I found enjoyable at all.  So even if prog was popular in the 70s (vis a vis its popularity or lack of today), I doubt it was top 10 popular even at that time.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:26
It was top 10 popular, it was Number 1 popular - see my post above.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:31
That's one album from the entire 1970s and the only other Pink Floyd album which rivalled DSOTM's popularity was The Wall.  That is not enough of a sample to be representative of the whole.  Even at the height of their popularity, were Yes or ELP ever as popular as ABBA or Eagles or BeeGees?  I doubt very much.  A band like Yes may have touched #1 on the album charts but not finished very often, if at all, at the top of the year end charts.  THAT requires a lot more popularity.  Even Idler Wheel opened at no.3  in the first week of its release but Fiona Apple is obviously not top 10 popular, not anymore at any rate.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:36
When people who were there say it was popular why not just accept their word?
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:39
^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period.  What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period.  What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.

I was there.  Bands like Yes, ELP, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Renaissance, etc. regularly received extensive airplay, although they often had severely edited versions of songs played.  These same bands were also the biggest arena fillers of the time.  The pop bands were mostly relegated to the smaller venues. 
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think I know what he means---they had a cultish following--a big one but not popularly accepted like Zep, Stones, Who, Eagles, CSNY, etc

They did not get airplay, TV coverage or media attention and there was no internet.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 11:49

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

They did not get airplay, TV coverage or media attention and there was no internet.

Maybe where you were but in Montreal in the early 70s, Europe's stepping stone into America, prog was huge , local radio had a large prog content, concerts like Gentle Giant filled arenas (16k), magazines, TV shows (Don Kirshner's) , ELP and Floyd at the Olympic stadium. I was there and I saw it! Thick as a Brick was in every collection. 

Was it everywhere like this? probably not, pockets of resistance existed where rock ruled supreme. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>