Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period. What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.
If, Roger, you mean to ask whether prog was as popular as the top Pop acts of the decade, you may rest assured that it was--and it wasn't.
Was--some prog hit #1, which you may consider as being as popular for the duration such a level was achieved. If you mean sell-outs of arenas, then prog did so as much as any other type of act.
Wasn't--If you mean in terms of sheer number of units sold, then probably not, compared to "Dancing Queen", Saturday Night Fever, or the Eagles' Greatest Hits, or _________[fill-in blank]. Or number of weeks at #1, or the Top Forty, etc. If you mean in terms of media coverage, then no, since boy bands/personalities always have dominated. In the 70's, there were fewer females that reached this level--the Wilson sisters, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks), and Karen Carpenter come to mind.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 16:08
Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson and Genesis all had albums in the top 100 in the album charts and even in the top 40 so I would say yes prog was definitely popular in the seventies.

I think the important question now would be is prog popular in the current decade. Right now I would say prog is caught somewhere between the mainstream and the underground. Most current prog fans at least in the US were born before 1980 imo so I think the issue is trying to get this music to a younger audience.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - January 07 2014 at 16:08
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 16:23
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period. What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.
If, Roger, you mean to ask whether prog was as popular as the top Pop acts of the decade, you may rest assured that it was--and it wasn't.
Was--some prog hit #1, which you may consider as being as popular for the duration such a level was achieved. If you mean sell-outs of arenas, then prog did so as much as any other type of act.
Wasn't--If you mean in terms of sheer number of units sold, then probably not, compared to "Dancing Queen", Saturday Night Fever, or the Eagles' Greatest Hits, or _________[fill-in blank]. Or number of weeks at #1, or the Top Forty, etc. If you mean in terms of media coverage, then no, since boy bands/personalities always have dominated. In the 70's, there were fewer females that reached this level--the Wilson sisters, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks), and Karen Carpenter come to mind.

The exception to those last few would be Pink Floyd who were huge even back then. You could even add Genesis but their super huge success wasn't until the eighties since they weren't that big in the seventies. Some people say YES were huge in the seventies. They were big but I wouldn't say super huge. They didn't regularly play stadiums or any venues over 20-25,000. Someone mentioned MSG. True, but NYC is a huge city anyway so you are going to get more people there plus a lot of people would go multiple nights since YES fans are often pretty hardcore. Same thing with Philadelphia PA. YES only have two multi platinum albums and one of those is from the eighties. These days most kiddies have no idea who YES are and the only big numbers of younger folks who know about YES are on this website.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - January 07 2014 at 16:23
GhostPony750 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 19:32
Of course it was! ^_^

And surprisingly, the style is slowly coming back with new groups, like Muse. I guess it's a good thing - it will lead the people to listen to these old classics.

There are prog rock classics absolutely everybody know, and they like it. "The Wall" is the best exemple I can find. Yet, I asked plenty of people: "Do you remember the Black Eyed Peas?" No one do. The mainstream music today is really awful, but everyone follow the maistream stuff. It will disappear, it will be forgotten, yet Rock classics are still here.

It's just those americans who can't leave this horrible pop music. :/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 19:38
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period.  What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.

I was there.  Bands like Yes, ELP, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Renaissance, etc. regularly received extensive airplay, although they often had severely edited versions of songs played.  These same bands were also the biggest arena fillers of the time.  The pop bands were mostly relegated to the smaller venues. 

I agree with all of this because the evidence of these is there to see even after all these years via the concert videos/bootlegs.  But if you read Stool Man's comment, he used album sales as the yardstick.  By that yardstick, only Pink Floyd would qualify as a mega popular band on the same level as not only those pop acts I mentioned but also the big rock bands like LZ, Queen, Kiss, Van Halen.   As Prog Traveller mentioned, Genesis only joined that league after going pop.  Their prog output never commanded that kind of popularity.  Probably the same goes for the spike in Yes's album sales in the 80s.  I am thinking of 100 million or more units sold worldwide.  All those rock bands plus BeeGees/ABBA/Eagles that I mentioned earlier qualify (VH falls maybe 4 million short at the most) and are among the best selling acts of all time.  AFAIK, Rush, ELP, Tull rank in the 20-60 million range so they don't quite belong in the same level.  Bands like Renaissance only managed a silver certification and that for the one album, Song for all Seasons, that produced a top 10 pop hit.   
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 02:20
Let it be the answer

"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 06:31

That's one album from the entire 1970s and the only other Pink Floyd album which rivalled DSOTM's popularity was The Wall.  That is not enough of a sample to be representative of the whole.  Even at the height of their popularity, were Yes or ELP ever as popular as ABBA or Eagles or BeeGees?  I doubt very much.  A band like Yes may have touched #1 on the album charts but not finished very often, if at all, at the top of the year end charts.  THAT requires a lot more popularity.  Even Idler Wheel opened at no.3  in the first week of its release but Fiona Apple is obviously not top 10 popular, not anymore at any rate.  

The topic is about being popular, not about being the most popular.  There's nothing wrong with not being first (Dark Side Of The Moon has never been a UK Number 1 album,for example)

And that's two albums, not one. TFTOis one album, and BSS is another album.  The week I linked to was a randomly selected week (exactly forty years ago.) I didn't trawl the site in search of a week when the top 2 were both prog albums.

You can search it y'self,and see plenty of other examples, by plenty of other bands.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 08:06
I place great emphasis on the social environment and in particular the people's reaction to Progressive Rock's representation on stage and it's abundance of promotion through the publications industry. Teenagers were buying progressive rock albums with the last few dollars in their wallets. To either lure, please, and impress a crowd that develops into a following....a large sum of money must be spent and invested in the publications industry along with various other forms of promotion. When Steve Howe entered a stage in a concert venue....it seemed, felt, and was obvious that everyone seated around you knew who Steve Howe was and defined and worshipped his talents/diversity on guitar. Audiences back then....stood in a ticket line and endlessly discussed everything about Steve Howe's guitar playing. To reach that many people or of that magnitude...a great deal of planning what specifically to do in the business end of things. Steve Howe had the look of a "Rock Star" ...but he was an honest and talented individual who played the game. Teenagers during the early 70's had a different view on precisely what a "Rock Star" was. Compared to the definition that people have today.....it is totally the opposite regarding what was once believed to be something sacred and taken more seriously. You once had a whole generation of people who believed in music that way and there is no way of bringing that mentality back to society...to that vast level...until you change the way you do business.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 08:28
I never understood the logic behind the industry turning their back on Prog. 2 observations: You have people , music fans..wanting to hear something new, You have the industry investing in "New Wave" and disregarding Prog...(although that actually began slowly in 1974), and the 2 observations combined are frustrating. The industry didn't have to turn their backs on Prog....because they have STILL made decent profit from the on going existing Prog. They chose not to and designed a plan for the most popular Prog bands to sugar up the music a bit and if that didn't work...then the only other alternative would be to drop the bands from their label and watch Prog die. This actually all started in 1974 when FM radio stations were playing Robin Trower's Bridge Of Sighs.

All over America...thousands of teenagers in high school discussing the stage show for Jethro Tull, Teenagers whose main interest was in "Hard Rock", "Boogie", "Southern Rock" were interested in seeing Jethro Tull. How do you get the attention of that many people across one country? There was a sugar coated crowd that loved ELP. Their main interest in music revolved around "Top 40" "Pop Music". However they liked Renaissance and ELP. You would never witness something so distant and out of place in today's society. So...you had 3 sets of crowds buying these progressive rock albums and going to the concerts. The industry made millions. As stated a zillion times before....ELP headlined California Jam in 74' when Deep Purple had sold more records for Warner Brothers than any other artist in a 3 year period. huh?

Edited by TODDLER - January 08 2014 at 08:31
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 08:31
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

That's one album from the entire 1970s and the only other Pink Floyd album which rivalled DSOTM's popularity was The Wall.  That is not enough of a sample to be representative of the whole.  Even at the height of their popularity, were Yes or ELP ever as popular as ABBA or Eagles or BeeGees?  I doubt very much.  A band like Yes may have touched #1 on the album charts but not finished very often, if at all, at the top of the year end charts.  THAT requires a lot more popularity.  Even Idler Wheel opened at no.3  in the first week of its release but Fiona Apple is obviously not top 10 popular, not anymore at any rate.  

The topic is about being popular, not about being the most popular.  There's nothing wrong with not being first (Dark Side Of The Moon has never been a UK Number 1 album,for example)

And that's two albums, not one. TFTOis one album, and BSS is another album.  The week I linked to was a randomly selected week (exactly forty years ago.) I didn't trawl the site in search of a week when the top 2 were both prog albums.

You can search it y'self,and see plenty of other examples, by plenty of other bands.

I agree that it is indeed about being popular.  That is why placing the album sales of Thriller (an 80s album at that) and DSOTM next to each other doesn't really address the point.  If Thriller is an indication of what is popular, prog was not that popular except for Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Wall.  It was you who had brought up the question of album sales rather than chart positions (the two are not necessarily the same thing) to argue the point.  And going by album sales, prog was not as popular as the top rock and pop bands of the 70s barring Pink Floyd.  Album sales accrue over a long period of time while a high chart position may be more reflective of a week or more of hectic selling to a loyal fanbase (see Idler Wheel above).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 23:06
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

^^^ If that is a response to my post, I have not heard anybody who actually lived in the 1970s say prog was as popular as the most popular pop music during that period.  What was YOUR experience, if I may? I am not disputing that it was popular, I am just responding to Stool Man's juxtaposition of DSOTM and Thriller, both of which are outliers.

I was there.  Bands like Yes, ELP, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Renaissance, etc. regularly received extensive airplay, although they often had severely edited versions of songs played.  These same bands were also the biggest arena fillers of the time.  The pop bands were mostly relegated to the smaller venues. 

I'll second this one, enthusiastically!  I saw prog bands in that era play in the largest venues in Chicago and the vicinity, including Jethro Tull TAAB (Chicago Stadium, over 18,000 seats), Yes CTTE (Arie Crown Theater, 4,200 seats), ELP BSS (University of Illinois Assembly Hall, 17,200 seats) etc.  I missed quite a few prog and prog related shows in that era including Uriah Heep, Moody Blues and a few others, but generally, these shows were huge and bands like Led Zep packed them in.  

Popular music?  Stuff like disco, ABBA, The Carpenters, Captain & Tenille, etc.?  Nah, they either didn't tour or as mentioned, they played smaller halls.  The Jackson 5 were one of the only pop bands that seemed to have immense tours and a big following.  

It was an amazing time....I'm very happy that I was able to experience it!  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 08:36
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson and Genesis all had albums in the top 100 in the album charts and even in the top 40 so I would say yes prog was definitely popular in the seventies.

^This......
I think the important question now would be is prog popular in the current decade. Right now I would say prog is caught somewhere between the mainstream and the underground. Most current prog fans at least in the US were born before 1980 imo so I think the issue is trying to get this music to a younger audience

Not very many young people (under40) are into prog. My son in law, 31, and daughter, 30,  listen to pop, alternative,  and indie music and so do their friends from what I can gather.
I know one guy that's 34 who had me burn him a prog sample cd of things I like but he mostly listens to hard edged alternative stuff.
I do know a few people in their 30's who know ELP, Yes, Genesis, etc but they don't really buy and collect prog music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 10:18

Have we agreed on the definition of "actually popular"?  Let's do that.

Edited by Stool Man - January 09 2014 at 10:18
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 10:39
Every Yes album from 1971 to 1978 was a Top 10 hit in both the UK and US.

Genesis didn't have a US top 20 hit until 1978, but in the UK every album from 1973 onward was a top 10 hit.

Every Jethro Tull album from 1971 to 1975 was a top 10 hit in the US, and in the UK every album from 1968 to 1972 was a top 10 hit.

Focus had Top 3 hit albums in 1971 and 1972 in the UK, plus two Top 20 hit singles in 1973.

The first five ELP albums were all Top 20 hits in both the US and UK. Same goes for their first two live albums.

I just googled all those details. I'm sure you could do the same.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 04:02

Genesis didn't have a US top 20 hit until 1978, but in the UK every album from 1973 onward was a top 10 hit.

Every Jethro Tull album from 1971 to 1975 was a top 10 hit in the US, and in the UK every album from 1968 to 1972 was a top 10 hit.

Focus had Top 3 hit albums in 1971 and 1972 in the UK, plus two Top 20 hit singles in 1973.

The first five ELP albums were all Top 20 hits in both the US and UK. Same goes for their first two live albums.

All those things do not necessarily establish the level of popularity you implied by pointing to DSOTM's aggregate sales.  That is all I am saying.  Nobody is disputing that prog was popular.  But even among yearwise album charts, prog doesn't seem to figure among the top 10 albums in UK.  And I repeat, an album charting in the top 10 for a few weeks by no means assures it would finish among the top selling albums of the year, or all time.

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30751&highlight=1970s

I have also checked out the US listings and they also point to the same.  Needless to say, the results don't change if we look at Billboard Top 10 singles rather than albums.  These corroborate the aggregate artist albums sales figures I posted earlier.  But the album you picked, Dark Side of the Moon, was the only prog album, other than The Wall, that broke through to  the list of all time best selling albums.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States

That list features Songs in The Key of Life, Tapestry, Bat Out of Hell, Physical Graffiti, Boston, but no Thick as a Brick, no Close To The Edge, etc.  

It is perhaps safe to conclude that prog was more popular as a live attraction which didn't necessarily always translate into similarly large album sales.  They did enjoy a large dedicated following which accounts for TFTO charting #1 on advance sales but the lack of all time best selling albums might explain why they don't seem to get the same amount of attention - I mean, the classics - as they did in the 70s.  I can now place in context why in my DVD of a 70s concert Renaissance urged people to at least get out and buy singles, "the one you can afford" as Jon Camp dubbed it.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 23:15
Perhaps there wasn't the genre / sub genre definition in the hey day of rock.

If someone was into Pink Floyd or Tull they could also be into T Rex, Grateful Dead, Elton John and nobody thought (as in worried) too much about genre or pop cultural identification.

I recalls seeing some reports of 1979 Yes concerts that had c. 79,000 attendees.  Genesis were always popular though Tull had that world wide first ever satellite broadcast.

Until punk came along and spoiled the fun. This continued into the '80s...

There was an interview with Ian Gillan c the House of Blue Lights (1985) release. he recollected how ,in 1972 a fan could go and see T Rex one week and Deep Purple the next; no problem. But if, using his examples, a fan wanted to see say, Adam And The Ants one week and Iron Maiden the next said fan had to go in disguise.

So I'd say prog rock was popular but as part of the overall pop rock scene rather than the almost rigidly defined boundaries that identifies / confuses things today.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 21:02
I saw Jethro Tull "TAAB," Led Zep "Houses of the Holy, and " Yes "Relayer" (solo tour) shows at this fine old venue, the Chicago Stadium!  Every one of those shows was sold out, with a seating capacity of about 20,000.  Led Zep's was amazing...it was near our Fourth of July holiday, so the inside of the place was crazy with fireworks!   Check out the review of the Led Zep show in 1973: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-6-1973

Edited by cstack3 - February 11 2014 at 21:40
MiltonTheatre'sLamp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 21:41
YES! 

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 09:49

I think these are all the details you need to confirm, Prog was popular in the 70's.
And in a big way too. :) I'm sure Pink Floyd was in those top ten hits between 71-75. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 11:03

All those things do not necessarily establish the level of popularity you implied by pointing to DSOTM's aggregate sales.  That is all I am saying.  Nobody is disputing that prog was popular.  But even among yearwise album charts, prog doesn't seem to figure among the top 10 albums in UK.  And I repeat, an album charting in the top 10 for a few weeks by no means assures it would finish among the top selling albums of the year, or all time.

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30751&highlight=1970s

I have also checked out the US listings and they also point to the same.  Needless to say, the results don't change if we look at Billboard Top 10 singles rather than albums.  These corroborate the aggregate artist albums sales figures I posted earlier.  But the album you picked, Dark Side of the Moon, was the only prog album, other than The Wall, that broke through to  the list of all time best selling albums.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States

That list features Songs in The Key of Life, Tapestry, Bat Out of Hell, Physical Graffiti, Boston, but no Thick as a Brick, no Close To The Edge, etc.  

It is perhaps safe to conclude that prog was more popular as a live attraction which didn't necessarily always translate into similarly large album sales.  They did enjoy a large dedicated following which accounts for TFTO charting #1 on advance sales but the lack of all time best selling albums might explain why they don't seem to get the same amount of attention - I mean, the classics - as they did in the 70s.  I can now place in context why in my DVD of a 70s concert Renaissance urged people to at least get out and buy singles, "the one you can afford" as Jon Camp dubbed it.
Roger, you must take things in context. The albums you refer to as top sellers (Songs in the Key of Life, Bat Out of Hell, Boston, even Physical Graffiti) had singles played constantly on the radio (and having lived through that time, I can tell you I now immediately turn off a Boston song within 3 notes once I hear it).

The amazing thing about Thick as a Brick, Passion Play (both went to #1 in the US), Close to the Edge, TFTO and Relayer (all 3 charted in the top ten in the US), is that they charted without a real single. What is true now with iTune downloads, and what was true in the 80s with MTV videos was just as true with 45 rpm singles in the early 70s. These are what were played on AM pop stations and FM stereo (unless, like in Detroit, you had progressive stations like WABX and WWWW playing whole albums and album sides).

It is a truism that the single is what sells most albums, but the albums of Tull and Yes during the time period were not conducive to singles, and the radio edits in no way showed the grand picture of their expansive albums. But people bought the damn things anyway, which would be unheard of in this modern age of manure and metal, rap and crap. 2:30 minutes and yer out, just like in the 50s and early 60s.

Even in the 70s, the record industry marketers nearly slit their wrists and gave the band hell when Queen released the 6 minute "Bohemian Rhapsody". There were only isolated instances (and stations that I noted) where you'd hear the whole 18:43 minute album  version of "Close to the Edge", or the even longer "Supper's Ready". Yet albums sold and concerts were SRO.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 12 2014 at 11:05
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>