Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 19:48
I like Adele.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 20:21
When i think of the future of music, and any label(s) we have attached to it, like "pop music", and what that means for us right now, you can safely say "Expect the Unexpected". Society, people and the affiliations they have with the arts are constantly evolving and i think the future holds more change than we can even fathom looking ahead right now, so i think years from now, it will not be the same. Of course, there will still be young and older people, but the way they interact and even view each other and their music will be altered. That's my guess.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 20:37
When bubbles all bust. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 01:47
Given that prog rock was very popular in the seventies, i would also include it under the generic label of 'pop music'. 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:03
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I like Adele.
Same.

I also like Justin Timberlake's new album a lot and although Kanye West is not my style, he is talented. Gotye is great too.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

There are teenagers who like Sinatra, the Beatles, AC/DC, and who dislike Bieber, Gaga, and Nicki Minaj--  evidently good is almost always still good.

Personally I'd take any of those artists over AC/DC any day. LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:55
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Given that prog rock was very popular in the seventies, i would also include it under the generic label of 'pop music'. 
QFT
What?
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:03
Pop will never stop because pop is simply short for popular so whatever is popular will always be pop.  Forever.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:05
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Pop will never stop because pop is simply short for popular so whatever is popular will always be pop.  Forever.

Indeed.  Caruso sold a million a century ago, and many more did the same since then.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:11

Someone else wrote something similar: "Since the dawn of mankind, before time and recorded history, when man crawled out of the slime and began slithering away in the mud towards green pastures, man's been listening to Top 40 music on the radio," or something like that. No, pop music - indeed, pop culture - has a definite history, an origin in history and aligned with technological developments, social relations and economic development. It's not eternal. It's not even that old; it's relatively new in human history.

Edited by jude111 - April 26 2013 at 12:14
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:21
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Indeed.  Caruso sold a million a century ago, and many more did the same since then.

Opera is not popular culture, or should I say, it's not mass culture. High culture, defined as the culture of the elite, the aristocracy, the intelligentsia, historically stood in opposition to the "low" class, working class, mass-produced popular culture industry which arose in the last few centuries. We should be clear that when we're talking about pop music, we're not talking about symphonies or operas. Indeed, the term "culture" itself was historically seen to be something that belonged purely to the feudal classes - the masses themselves were seen to be *lacking* any culture.

Edited by jude111 - April 26 2013 at 12:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Opera is not popular culture, or should I say, it's not mass culture. High culture, defined as the culture of the elite, the aristocracy, the intelligentsia, historically stood in opposition to the "low" class, working class, mass-produced popular culture industry which arose in the last few centuries. We should be clear that when we're talking about pop music, we're not talking about symphonies or operas. Indeed, the term "culture" itself was historically seen to be something that belonged purely to the aristocratic classes - the masses themselves were seen to be *lacking* any culture.

People didn't buy Caruso's opera's by the million - they bought his recording of a single aria:
Quote Wikipedia: Caruso biographers Pierre Key, Bruno Zirato and Stanley Jackson attribute Caruso's fame not only to his voice and musicianship but also to a keen business sense and an enthusiastic embrace of commercial sound recording, then in its infancy. Many opera singers of Caruso's time rejected the phonograph (or gramophone) owing to the low fidelity of early discs. Others, including Adelina Patti, Francesco Tamagno and Nellie Melba, exploited the new technology once they became aware of the financial returns that Caruso was reaping from his initial recording sessions

Quote Enrico Caruso (1873-1921) records the first million-selling record: Vesti la Giubba (On with the Motley) from Leoncavallo’s opera Pagliacci. It is one of 10 recordings made in the session for Victor Records in the US for which the singer is paid $4,000. By 1952 Caruso’s recordings for RCA-Victor make over $3.5m in royalties—the largest sum earned by any of the company’s recording artists up to that date.

I'd say that was a mass-market pop(ular) record and not a high-brow culture recording. If you need to be pedantic about it, that was a crossover just as Katherine Jenkins or Vanessa Mae are crossover... and that's Pop Music.

Edited by Dean - April 26 2013 at 12:36
What?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'd say that was a mass-market pop(ular) record and not a high-brow culture recording. If you need to be pedantic about it, that was a crossover just as Katherine Jenkins or Vanessa Mae are crossover... and that's Pop Music.

I was trying to say this, but getting tangled up in my words LOL Cheers Big smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 13:20

That can be alright from an academical point of view but it's distorting the meaning of the OP just for the sake of contradicting. When we informally talk about 'Pop music' we kind of know what we are talking about, at least more or less, even if it's surely not universally defined and not everybody will think exactly the same. But I don't think ELP's Toccata or Yes Close To The Edge will come to mind to most people when they think about the term 'Pop music' Confused.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 16:53

QFT

I think anyone's endorsement of this statement though sincere, must represent the apex of Pedantry Archives. WinkPerhaps it's our fault for lazy association of ideas etc but it serves no purpose to equate pop music with anything that sold in large quantities that ain't academic music. The consumers who made Prog mainstream and popular in the 70's were not also buying Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Bay City Rollers records were they?

Cue a montage of some erudite Progster's album collection at around this time which encompasses Alvin Stardust (the Godfather of nested septuplets) and Gentle GiantConfused
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 17:07
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The consumers who made Prog mainstream and popular in the 70's were not also buying Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Bay City Rollers records were they?

Are you sure? Top Billboard hits in 1975 include songs by Jethro Tull, 10cc, Paul McCartney & Wings, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, Styx, Earth, Wind & Fire, Elton John, David Bowie, Al Green, Rod Stewart, Ringo Starr, the Eagles, the Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder, Bachman–Turner Overdrive, Average White Band, Linda Ronstadt, KC and the Sunshine Band, Doobie Brothers. I think I've bought records by nearly everyone above at some point in my life (used most often, or at least checked them out at the library Wink).

Edited by jude111 - April 26 2013 at 17:35
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 17:16
RE my post : I remember once when I went to see L'Image (Tony Levin, Steve Gadd, Warren Bernhardt, Mike Mainieri and David Spinoza) in the famous jazz venue New Morning in Paris, there was a guy (around 55 y.o.) who used the tag "pop" to qualify all pop/rock Tony Levin was involved in previously (that included his collaborations with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson).
I suspect progsters to be allergic to the word "pop", I don't know why because prog rock is part of pop culture. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Even if it can draw influences from classical music, one has to admit that it remains pop/rock music.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

QFT

I think anyone's endorsement of this statement though sincere, must represent the apex of Pedantry Archives. WinkPerhaps it's our fault for lazy association of ideas etc but it serves no purpose to equate pop music with anything that sold in large quantities that ain't academic music. The consumers who made Prog mainstream and popular in the 70's were not also buying Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and Bay City Rollers records were they?

Cue a montage of some erudite Progster's album collection at around this time which encompasses Alvin Stardust (the Godfather of nested septuplets) and Gentle GiantConfused
When the thin line between what is a pop tune and what is a prog tune can send people into pyramids of pointless quotes arguing back and forth with no immediate sign of ending then it is safe to assume that that same thin line seperates progressive rock from pop music regardless of any academic musicological classification. Popular does not have to sell in large quantities or to all demographics, it just has to be more popular than the previous fad and the next available fad.
What?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

But I don't think ELP's Toccata or Yes Close To The Edge will come to mind to most people when they think about the term 'Pop music' Confused.

Neil Diamond's OST for 'Jonahtan Livingston Seagull' is full of orchestrations and certainly more "symphonic" than anything ELP or Yes released. So the argument of classical music influences is not valid.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 20:35

I suspect progsters to be allergic to the word "pop", I don't know why because prog rock is part of pop culture. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Even if it can draw influences from classical music, one has to admit that it remains pop/rock music.

Maybe they wouldn't like to acknowledge that pop also draws from classical music (e.g. ABBA) at times and a lot from jazz.  The difference is mainly in terms of form but rock music of the early 70s was shaped by the mid-late 60s psychedelic rock wave so they were more or less part of a common culture rather than originating from completely different sources.  This trend continued into the 80s and 90s and prog metal became the genre of choice for lots of new bands because metal was ruling the waves either in its full blooded form or in the form of hair/glam metal.  Maybe with retro becoming more and more popular, there is a disconnect now between popular culture and prog. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>