Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:43
I don't know about TD in live setting these days, but the gig in Tivoli is supposed to be the world premier of 'Sorcerer'. They've never played it live before, so I guess it should be interesting to see, if only for nostalgic purposes.
I can't go, but I have a few buddies of mine attending.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 19:42
Really enjoying Gunter Schickert's Samtvogel record right now. It's my first spin but very impressed.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 09:22
Attention guys - highest possible recommendation!

http://cosmicground.bandcamp.com/

Cosmic Ground is a solo project by Dirk Jan Müller, Keyboard player of Electric Orange.

Dirk Jan Müller: mu modular, eurorack modular, fender rhodes, mellotron, moog sub phatty, philicorda, farfisa compact, farfisa professional duo, solina string ensemble, roland rs202, korg ms20, roland sh1000, hohner string melody II, elka rhapsody, nord wave, moog voyager, hohner clavinet, oberheim sem, korg mini-pops, leslie 760, hohner orgaphon...........no MIDI used.

I implore you, give this one a spin, anyone who misses the proper Berlin-styled space albums from the 70's will want to snap this one up right away, I'm about to order it myself.

A haunting deep-space Mellotron canvas to get wrapped up in.

Dave, I really think this is exactly what you'd enjoy, knowing how much you like those early TDream and Schulze albums.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 09:35
Thanks a billion Bruce:-) I am stranded on my silly phone until late next week, which means no streaming music. Maybe I'll receive my new iphone before that, but I doubt it.

The way you describe it makes it sound perfect for my tastes!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 09:39
I am currently in the proces of falling head over heels for Schulze's X. I didn't get it when I first purchased it, but then again there was just so much other fantastic material to choose from, so why bother?
Well I have officially come around now!

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 23:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I am currently in the proces of falling head over heels for Schulze's X. I didn't get it when I first purchased it, but then again there was just so much other fantastic material to choose from, so why bother?
Well I have officially come around now!

You've got to check out the La Vie Electronique series, especially 4. It has one of the coolest tracks I've ever heard from him.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 17:28
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Suicide - st
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 12:16
Just to throw this out there, the brand new limited (only 1500 units pressed) remaster of Tangerine Dream's great 1983 film score Wavelength is out. The CD contains unique versions of compositions recorded by the Froese-Franke-Schmoelling line-up of the band as well as original music (including one piece not used in the film).

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Wavelength.html

I have my copy and the remaster job is superb. It makes a great standalone album with unique versions of tracks sourced from Pergamon, Tangram, Exit along with original pieces like "Alien Goodbyes" and "Spaceship." The analog SOUNDS are exquisite! This was an exciting time for the band and the original Varese Sarabande CD is long out of print. Edgar didn't grant a new interview for the liner notes but he did give this remaster his blessing. The liner notes do provide a detailed essay on the music itself and many insights on the making of the film. Well worth the $16!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 04:39
Posted a review of the TD concert in the live performances forum earlier this week, in case you haven't noticed. It easily met expectations and then some.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 01:33
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Just to throw this out there, the brand new limited (only 1500 units pressed) remaster of Tangerine Dream's great 1983 film score Wavelength is out. The CD contains unique versions of compositions recorded by the Froese-Franke-Schmoelling line-up of the band as well as original music (including one piece not used in the film).

I have my copy and the remaster job is superb. It makes a great standalone album with unique versions of tracks sourced from Pergamon, Tangram, Exit along with original pieces like "Alien Goodbyes" and "Spaceship." The analog SOUNDS are exquisite! This was an exciting time for the band and the original Varese Sarabande CD is long out of print. Edgar didn't grant a new interview for the liner notes but he did give this remaster his blessing. The liner notes do provide a detailed essay on the music itself and many insights on the making of the film. Well worth the $16!

Thanks for the heads up. I did notice this on Amazon and dismissed it because of the price and didn't realise it was a 1983 release.  I've ordered it because I love the other soundtrack they did around this time (Firestarter) and also TD a brilliant job with the Kyoto release. Its cost me a bit more than the $16 because of shipping charges which for me are $10. The total cost is $22 for meOuch. Better be worth itWink

Edited by richardh - April 14 2014 at 01:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 01:42
I bought the LP of `Wavelength' a month or two, and although all the pieces are very short (bit of a tease really! ), they're all quite good! I think the `Firestarter' one is better, but it's still very decent!

Now if only we could get an affordable CD reissue of `Firestarter'....
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 09:45

Goblin's Suspiria is of the European Progressive Electronic music style. Tangerine Dream traveled through this mode many times and especially in the late 70's when they actually hired a real drummer for the sessions. With Edgar Froese's guitar work , the swirling electronics, the bizzare tapes of laughter and the recordings of howling wolves combined with a real drummer, it's very much in vain of Goblin's structure. Roller and Zombi are worthwhile Goblin releases. Profondo Rosso is slightly dated in the sense that it presents the old contrived avant-garde formula used on for example the Columbo series. Not ever reaching the level of Bernard Hermann ..it was a cheesy sounding Avant-Garde method to appeal to a larger crowd who viewed T.V. shows after arriving home from a complicated day at the office. It's when everyone is plucking or blowing into an instrument to create a hokey sound or coming across with a film score for tragic scenes that purposely sounds stupied for the sake of enlightment. I can deal with this aspect to Profondo Rosso because I love Goblin. Not much value in that statement correct? The band reunited 6 or 7 years ago , producing a new studio album...which is very progressive electronic in every sense of the word. I don't recall it's title. I wasn't particularly fond of this so called "mid-period" where the band released Patrick and several others that began to sound a bit too close in soundtrack form for my taste ..where earlier in the band's career many of their soundtrack releases simply came across like an instrumental Progressive Rock album. That's what I loved about them and when that changed...I was no longer devoted. Suspiria ..which is often catagorized with it's sound effects, chanting witches..etc...to the process in writing film score. Logically...yes..it is. However...other Prog bands in history have written epics/concept albums that include the same abundance of effects and atmosphere as Goblin and are defined as Prog Rock and not compared to the soundtrack mentality. You have to listen to Goblin once or twice in a sitting and dismiss the fact that the music was written for a movie. Several of their releases are very Progressive Rock and not Soundtrack oriented.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 09:58
I hear Skrillex put out a new album.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 16:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I did notice this on Amazon and dismissed it because of the price and didn't realise it was a 1983 release.  I've ordered it because I love the other soundtrack they did around this time (Firestarter) and also TD a brilliant job with the Kyoto release. Its cost me a bit more than the $16 because of shipping charges which for me are $10. The total cost is $22 for meOuch. Better be worth itWink

Just listening at the moment. Opening 2 tracks are very similar to those on Firestarter and the 3rd track is clearly come from the Pergamon live album although presumably re-recorded in the studio. Just on the 4th track which is very like something off White Eagle. All good so far.

5th track is from Tangram Pt 1 when it becomes peacefull after the energetic mid section

6th track could have been taken from Edgar Froese's solo album Pinnacles. These are very short tracks!

7th track is back to sounding a bit like Tangram although Part 2 this time. 

8th track - another bit Tangram Part 2

9th track is my favourite so far 'Church Theme' , a nice interplay of ideas. Classic TD

10th -  this is very nice , back to that lovely Firestarter type sound

11th track 'Airshaft' is the spookiest so far. Good stuff.

just looking at the liner notes from the inner booklet. This is quite substantial for a release such as this and the writing is actually big enough so you can read it!!

12th track has got a bit of a retro vibe , could almost be Ricochet with those 'flutes'Cool

got wrapped up in the booklet - very pleasingly detailed. Done a good job here. 3.5 for the music and 5 for the packaging!

bit pricey considering its all short tracks but definitely one for those like me who love TD's music 1980 to 1984.

Edited by richardh - April 23 2014 at 16:36
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 16:03
Tangerine Dream's my favourite, especially "Zeit" Big smile
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 12:34
Even though I have a lot of TD's stuff, but for some reason I had not heard or purchased any of Klaus Schulze's stuff until yesterday I got Timewind...Excellent!

Larry Fast's Synergy is one I enjoy as well as Vangelis.

Right now I am listening to Daft Punk's soundtrack to Tron: Legacy...not bad, not sure they are classified as Electronic Progressive.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 12:41
I hope you dive a little deeper with Schulze. It's worth it, trust me. He has gems spread out all through his career.
Picture Music and Blackdance remain my two personal faves for the time being.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 19:22
Hey Jim/AEP! Dave is spot on in his recommendations, and in particular I have a lot of love for Schulze's `Blackdance' album, one of my absolute favourites. I think I wrote some raving and drooling 5 star review for it a couple of years back!

Speaking of Vangelis, I recently bought the remaster of his 1977 album `Spiral'....and was totally underwhelemed. Although for it's time it was probably the first of his more laid-back synth works, it's slightly cheesy and repetitive. Very disappointed, but then I've only given it one listen so far.

Thankfully a year later he would put out the uncompromising and insane `Beaubourg', followed by better works such as `China' and `Opera Sauvage'.

Jim, they're not in any way electronic albums, but his early works such as `Hypothesis' (quirky avant-garde jazz?), `The Dragon' (Krautrock, and another 5 star album for me) and `L'Apocalypse des Animaux' (a stunning ambient/sorrowful jazz/low-key electronica work) are all incredible, I'd suggest giving them a listen. I've been told `Earth' is also a good one from that period, but haven't come across a copy on either CD or LP at any of my record fairs yet.

Can I please ask anyone on here - Can they recommend a late 80s Vangelis album called `Direct'? One of the vendors at a local record fair that I frequently buy from has had this album on remastered CD and I've left it behind a few times in a row, but I'm curious...is it worth getting?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 21:04
Michael, I agree with you on Spiral (although I have not heard the remaster), however back in the day it was quite interesting.  China is one of my favorites, Heaven and Hell also!

I used to have Direct years ago in cassette (that should tell you something) and enjoyed it fairly well back then (of course my mindset was different then too).  Since the tape player ate it alive, I have not heard it since and only remember bits and pieces.  It is similar to me as his album "The City", more mellower but with some nice moements, not bad not great nothing really new, some melodies that will stick in your head.  I wish I could remember more, but but too much brain ram failure....I wonder if it exists on Youtube?

PS - I plan on exploring more of Schulze's stuff and will start with yours and Dave's suggestion.

Edited by AEProgman - April 25 2014 at 21:08
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 22:22
Now Michael look what you made me do. I just listened to Direct on the tube. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLC4lRA2N8A

It is more symphonic than I remember. What memories it brings back for me. There is also an operatic moment on it. I do like it better than Spiral.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>