Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 10:30
Vangelis has certainly composed/recorded electronic music, and many EM fans do consider him a part of the genre. I think his reach extends a bit further because he's a multi-instrumentalist and also records with acoustic piano, bass guitar and real drums.

Around 10-15 years ago, rap and hip-hop artists started wising up and using real bands for their instrumental backup — live, at first, then on their albums. I think the Beastie Boys started that trend even further back when they surprised everybody by performing as a rock trio, though they did also continue to use samples and electronics.
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It certainly does . The synth is a massive part of the genre although like all genres (or sub genres) it gets a bit stale.

That's how I felt at the tail end of the 80s and early 90s when the Yamaha DX-7's, Roland D-50s, Korg M1's and Kawai K1's had run roughshod over the landscape. Of course, it wasn't the fault of the machines, but the fault of their users. While Tangerine Dream had fallen into the trap, Mark Shreeve somehow evaded it. He has great sounds on all his records.

As long as the composition is interesting and the sound don't seem to emanate from the stock soundbank of some cheesy synth, the music will be good. Of course, nowadays even the lowest-priced workstations are equipped with far better quality sounds than the low-enders that Korg, Kawai and Casio peddled in the 80s and 90s.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Ouch Thus Rick Wakeman is not prog either? Confused (Exc. YES Band)

Wakey has recorded some albums I'd definitely include under the banner of EM, like 2000 A.D.–Into The Future, Themes and The Family Album.

The same for Goblin and Claudio Simonetti, who are prog rockers, but the music they composed for Phenomena, Opera, and Il Cartaio is entirely electronic, with the addition of drums here and there.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:48
Next month, we'll have a brand new, 100% modular analog synthesis-generated album by Steve Roach, called Skeleton Keys. Thumbs Up

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:37
John Carpenter recently released a terrific album of soundtrack-styled instrumentals called Lost Themes.

An official video has been made for the track called "Night." A perfect marriage of visuals and sonics!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:47
^ I'm really hammering my credit card at the moment BUT I must have this! The Thing is one of my favourite films and Carpenter's soundtrack work is good in that and fact is generally excellent.

Edited by richardh - April 19 2015 at 14:47
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 15:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I'm really hammering my credit card at the moment BUT I must have this! The Thing is one of my favourite films and Carpenter's soundtrack work is good in that and fact is generally excellent.

Dude, you are going to go nuts over this album! ALL of it is that good! There's also a nice 8-minute track that's proggier than anything I've previously heard from Carpenter. Anyone that is into electronic music, period, should own this album. It's cheap, too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic