Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 10:30
Vangelis has certainly composed/recorded electronic music, and many EM fans do consider him a part of the genre. I think his reach extends a bit further because he's a multi-instrumentalist and also records with acoustic piano, bass guitar and real drums.

Around 10-15 years ago, rap and hip-hop artists started wising up and using real bands for their instrumental backup — live, at first, then on their albums. I think the Beastie Boys started that trend even further back when they surprised everybody by performing as a rock trio, though they did also continue to use samples and electronics.
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It certainly does . The synth is a massive part of the genre although like all genres (or sub genres) it gets a bit stale.

That's how I felt at the tail end of the 80s and early 90s when the Yamaha DX-7's, Roland D-50s, Korg M1's and Kawai K1's had run roughshod over the landscape. Of course, it wasn't the fault of the machines, but the fault of their users. While Tangerine Dream had fallen into the trap, Mark Shreeve somehow evaded it. He has great sounds on all his records.

As long as the composition is interesting and the sound don't seem to emanate from the stock soundbank of some cheesy synth, the music will be good. Of course, nowadays even the lowest-priced workstations are equipped with far better quality sounds than the low-enders that Korg, Kawai and Casio peddled in the 80s and 90s.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Ouch Thus Rick Wakeman is not prog either? Confused (Exc. YES Band)

Wakey has recorded some albums I'd definitely include under the banner of EM, like 2000 A.D.–Into The Future, Themes and The Family Album.

The same for Goblin and Claudio Simonetti, who are prog rockers, but the music they composed for Phenomena, Opera, and Il Cartaio is entirely electronic, with the addition of drums here and there.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:48
Next month, we'll have a brand new, 100% modular analog synthesis-generated album by Steve Roach, called Skeleton Keys. Thumbs Up

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:37
John Carpenter recently released a terrific album of soundtrack-styled instrumentals called Lost Themes.

An official video has been made for the track called "Night." A perfect marriage of visuals and sonics!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:47
^ I'm really hammering my credit card at the moment BUT I must have this! The Thing is one of my favourite films and Carpenter's soundtrack work is good in that and fact is generally excellent.

Edited by richardh - April 19 2015 at 14:47
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 15:58

^ I'm really hammering my credit card at the moment BUT I must have this! The Thing is one of my favourite films and Carpenter's soundtrack work is good in that and fact is generally excellent.

Dude, you are going to go nuts over this album! ALL of it is that good! There's also a nice 8-minute track that's proggier than anything I've previously heard from Carpenter. Anyone that is into electronic music, period, should own this album. It's cheap, too!
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 15:38
How about...

Didier Bocquet, Bruce Haack, Cultural Noise, Don Preston, Peak, Louis and Bebe Barron, Mars Everywhere.
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Dude, you are going to go nuts over this album! ALL of it is that good! There's also a nice 8-minute track that's proggier than anything I've previously heard from Carpenter. Anyone that is into electronic music, period, should own this album. It's cheap, too!

yep love it Clap
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 19:20
Aphex Twin

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:41
Michael Stearns' classic Chronos is getting the remaster treatment!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:59
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 03:52
^ The best new track Jarre released so far. The remix is awful though Dead
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:54
Guys, I thought I'd post the link in here for a progressive electronic album that I've been enjoying immensely lately:

`Astral Bridges: Ethereal Live' by Onewayness and Modulator ESP.

https://ethereallive.bandcamp.com/album/astral-bridges

This is how to make a Tangerine Dream-influenced album that doesn't sound for a single second like a mere imitation, that still has the proper ambition and exploratory atmospheres of the defining 70's electronic titles. I think some of you might really enjoy it. It starts off very disorientating, very drifting, then moves into darker Mellotron and sequencer atmospheres.

You can download it for free on the Bandcamp page, but I bought the CD, it's pretty dirty cheap for a terrific album.

Give it a try!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 08:06
Thanks for the recommendation - this sounds as though it will be great.  I'll give it a try once I get some wifi Wink.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 13:08
^^ bizarre, I was just coming in this thread to recommend The Black Dog!
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 19:13
Let me give my 2 cents by mentioning some of the most obscure artists that count among my favourites:

1. CARLOS BELTRAN with his only album "Jerico", released in 1987. I think all of this album can be found on YouTube. Here's one piece.

2. ILDEFONSO AGUILAR, with is only album "Erosion", released in 1979.

3. BERNARD XOLOTL, a wonderful Cosmic musician, especially with his album "Procession", 1983, in collaboration with violinist DANIEL KOBIALKA. Full album here:

4. FRANCO LEPRINO with his masterpiece "Integrati... Disintegrati". Stunning! Full album can be found on YouTube.

5. YOsh*tAKA AZUMA, an electronic musician and videogame composer with his brilliant album "Far From Asia". The piece I'm presenting below, one of my latest finds, has really been driving me cosmic recently.

There is many more great obscure prog-electronic music to be discovered and shared, just these are the first 5 that came to my mind. I hope you enjoy it Smile

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 20:48
^Azuma's such an overlooked entity in the world of EM. He did get some exposure in the West thanks to a pair of albums issued on Peter Baumann's Private Music label in the 80s: Azuma (1986) and The Wanderer (1988). Both contain shorter pieces, no epics, but are rather good examples of music created with digital synthesizers and sequencers. His earlier music (of which you posted a sterling example) righteously earns him the label "the Vangelis of Japan" in my book.

I just listened to "Edades Obscuras" by Carlos Beltran. Thanks for posting that. I've never heard of him, but that's an excellent track. I like how it's more of a suite, with defined sections that are interconnected. The segues are seamless. The final four minutes are superb, especially that unorthodox synth solo.

I'm familiar with Xolotl, so I'll check out Leprino and Aguilar.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Next month, we'll have a brand new, 100% modular analog synthesis-generated album by Steve Roach, called Skeleton Keys. Thumbs Up

How did you end up finding this album, Verlibre? I gave it a 3 star (and fairly long-winded! ) review here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1422211

I found it a little unengaging. I think plenty of his other more recent albums have been far more interesting. The final track is the highlight, wish all of the album had been as good as that.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 03 2015 at 09:26
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:33
Hey, A-B-B!

I first heard he was releasing this over on the Tangerine Dream forum, of all places.

Cool review! (Reminds me of the kind I used to write!) I'm late to ordering a physical copy but some tracks can be heard on Steve's Bandcamp page.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:42
This could probably fit in the '70s lost fusion thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>