Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 02:12
I was afraid to read this thread and my fears were founded: I now have about thirty more albums on my music acquisition list. Still, a good problem to have...

I enjoy Tangerine Dream's albums from the Froese-Franke-Baumann and Froese-Franke-Schmoelling line-ups, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Zanov.

I also recommend Irish musician Michael Daniels, whom I discovered through his TD covers on his youtube channel (mik300z). He released two albums on Bandcamp and I enjoyed both. Recommended for Vangelis and TD fans.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 05:34
I'd like to recommend the album titled Gaiatron by Cosmic Octave Orchestra, recorded live at Ricochet Gathering - Electronic music festival, at Berlin Schoeneberg Townhall, October 10th, 2010, and released at October 17, 2011, on Klangwirkstoff Records from Berlin.

Edited by Svetonio - October 06 2015 at 05:52
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Dragon Wings and Wizard Tales was one of their most unique releases. The electronics swirled around real instruments playing the parts. Kat's voice was sweet, airy, melodic, and dark. The combination of flute soloing, acoustic guitar strumming, and a real drummer created the sound of an early, but lost.. King Crimson album. This album comes across more like a Progressive Rock band than a electronic duo. ...yet the two are evenly combined overall. The whole album has a strange flow to it. It's not as if you could immediately describe what you feel from it on the first listen. This album grows on you over weeks of occasional listening. It is dark and visits the subject ...or reflection of the underworld. There are many things about the album that do not rise to the surface immediately...and even after the 3rd or 4th listen. It is very mysterious and invokes something into the imagination. So from my observation, it may not invoke a spirit, but it invokes  something within the listener...like a channeling..if you believe in that sort of experience. It may just be observed  through trickery of the mind rather than some sort of supernatural experience. The music is playing and if affects your mind/mood swing....well whatever?. Interesting album

It's no coincidence, either. The Stargate Tapes contains extensive liner notes that detail the beginnings of Emerald Web. The other players on the album comprised, along with Kat and Bob, the prog rock band from which Emerald Web evolved. So essentially, DW&WT is simultaneously the one and only album by that band and the first album by Emerald Web, which from that point forward would consist of Kat Epple and Bob Stohl.

I never got around to ordering The Stargate Tapes...although I have seen it advertised on Amazon. Do you like the running order of the tracks? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 11:13

I never got around to ordering The Stargate Tapes...although I have seen it advertised on Amazon. Do you like the running order of the tracks? 

It's a great compilation with some material that's been unavailable for years. If you're a fan of the Web, you need it. It has a couple tracks from Aqua Regia, which to this day has still only ever been issued on cassette (in the '80s). It's also the only place any material from DW&WT ("Chasing the Shadowbeast") has appeared on CD, though I think Finders Keepers intends to eventually reissue the whole album on disc (it's already been remastered, but was reissued on vinyl!). 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 07:04

I never got around to ordering The Stargate Tapes...although I have seen it advertised on Amazon. Do you like the running order of the tracks? 

It's a great compilation with some material that's been unavailable for years. If you're a fan of the Web, you need it. It has a couple tracks from Aqua Regia, which to this day has still only ever been issued on cassette (in the '80s). It's also the only place any material from DW&WT ("Chasing the Shadowbeast") has appeared on CD, though I think Finders Keepers intends to eventually reissue the whole album on disc (it's already been remastered, but was reissued on vinyl!). 

Thanks for the info. Kat wants me to order from her. She is a really cool person to converse with. I gotta get back to her. She is an awesome artist that has suffered tremendous pain in this life. I really respect her. She is an amazing person who has moved on above and beyond the dark past and I love and respect her for that alone. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:07
Anyone here familiar with the Ash Ra Tempel record called Berceau de Cristal? It's really just Manuel Göttsching with a helping hand from Lutz Ulbrich, so not even in the vicinity of the original Ash Ra Tempel........it is however a wonderful live album cut in 1975 that extrapolates on Manuel's fluid beats and buttery guitar notes.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:11

Thanks for the info. Kat wants me to order from her. She is a really cool person to converse with. I gotta get back to her. She is an awesome artist that has suffered tremendous pain in this life. I really respect her. She is an amazing person who has moved on above and beyond the dark past and I love and respect her for that alone. 

Yes, she is, and yes, you should. I've bought a few albums directly from her over the years. You're going to order her new CD Elemental Circuitry, I take it? Great album. It's a return to Web's Nocturne sound fused with some ethno-electronic goodness. Really nice to hear Kat get back to electronics.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyone here familiar with the Ash Ra Tempel record called Berceau de Cristal? It's really just Manuel Göttsching with a helping hand from Lutz Ulbrich, so not even in the vicinity of the original Ash Ra Tempel........it is however a wonderful live album cut in 1975 that extrapolates on Manuel's fluid beats and buttery guitar notes.

Not familiar with that one. I have to check that out! Here's the Discogs entry:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 10:27

Not familiar with that one. I have to check that out! Here's the Discogs entry:

Oh it is most definitely worth checking out! If you enjoy Ashra or Manuel's other solo stuff recorded under his own name, then you're going to love it. For a long time I proclaimed it to be my favourite Ash Ra Tempel album, which, to be honest, is cheating (My fave Ash Ra Tempel album these days is Join Inn). 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 08:23
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I'd like to recommend the album titled Gaiatron by Cosmic Octave Orchestra, recorded live at Ricochet Gathering - Electronic music festival, at Berlin Schoeneberg Townhall, October 10th, 2010, and released at October 17, 2011, on Klangwirkstoff Records from Berlin.

Very spicy ! I play other ambient stuff like the ones suggested here at the same time
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 12:55
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Very spicy ! I play other ambient stuff like the ones suggested here at the same time
Thumbs Up 

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 07:54
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

This is my favorite prog elec piece of past year.I want more music like this!

Planning to get the new Arc album:http://www.din.org.uk/din/node/499
Demo sounds great!

I saw these guys live last year, and they were great!!  This track is legendary for the huge Floyd reference Wink.

For something similar (but even better) I'd thoroughly recommend React by Robert Rich/Ian Boddy.  It's on the DiN label and is simply one of the finest ambient/electronic albums I've ever heard.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 07:56
New Steve Moore album out this month (might be out already Tongue), that just has to be the best electronic news of the year Big smile.  I can't buy it at the minute though as there's a strong possibility it has already been bought for me as a birthday present, so only a couple of weeks I'll have to wait.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:44
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

New Steve Moore album out this month (might be out already Tongue), that just has to be the best electronic news of the year Big smile.  I can't buy it at the minute though as there's a strong possibility it has already been bought for me as a birthday present, so only a couple of weeks I'll have to wait.......

I've been waiting for quite some time nowBig smile 
Oh and don't forget about the new Zombi (Steve Moore's original band) album Shape Shifter, which releases on the same date as Cub, this FridayWink

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 13 2015 at 10:45

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 14:34
Is it off-piste to mention the new album by Necromonkey here?  I know they're categorised as Eclectic Prog on PA but this record, Show Me Where It Hertz, is a bit different, the only instruments used are synths and drum machines, all recorded live in the studio.

And it's groovy! I just tried to cause a fire in our kitchen by dancing to the first track with my wife, who was frying some peppers at the time. The peppers were also dancing.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 13 2015 at 14:48
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 02:14
Playing this for the first time. Pretty sure he isn't on PA (though YMO definitely is)

Thousand Knives of Ryuichi Sakamoto
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 11:22
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Is it off-piste to mention the new album by Necromonkey here?  I know they're categorised as Eclectic Prog on PA but this record, Show Me Where It Hertz, is a bit different, the only instruments used are synths and drum machines, all recorded live in the studio.

And it's groovy! I just tried to cause a fire in our kitchen by dancing to the first track with my wife, who was frying some peppers at the time. The peppers were also dancing.

Not at all. I found their latest album to rely on an awful lot of electronic equipment. 
The way you describe it very much entices the electronic fan in me. I love that stuff. 
...and I utterly adore dancing when I'm cooking - especially to some challenging music! I find I do my best work in the kitchen when I'm listening to slightly left-field albums. 

Måltid (which btw means meal in both Swedish and Danish) is one of my favourites. Last time it helped birth a wonderful (and very hot) pot of curry.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 14 2015 at 13:37

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 13:23
An excellent progressive electronic (analog Berliner Schule) full-lenght debut titled MOD01 released on Mata-Mata Records (October 2015) by MO-DU from Prague, Czech Republic.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 13:46

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Not at all. I found their latest album to rely on an awful lot of electronic equipment. 
The way you describe it very much entices the electronic fan in me. I love that stuff. 
...and I utterly adore dancing when I'm cooking - especially to some challenging music! I find I do my best work in the kitchen when I'm listening to slightly left-field albums. 

Måltid (which btw means meal in both Swedish and Danish) is one of my favourites. Last time it helped birth a wonderful (and very hot) pot of curry.

With Måltid the parsnips must get chopped double quick...and probably into some interesting shapes.

Funny how different music suits different jobs. If I'm dusting, mopping or sweeping it's got to be punk! Job done in no time with the help of Rock the Casbah...

Edited by Mascodagama - October 15 2015 at 13:47
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 13:54
Does anybody else rate the Ishq-related releases as highly as I do? The project often goes under a variety of names, all aliases for sole member Matt Hillier, but I have bought about 15 albums over the years under the Ishq banner, and they are always absolutely superb. The CD's sell out very quickly.

Ishq is a very ambient style of electric sounds, but despite often being very floating and hypnotic, it's never `pretty' like New Age music. Lots of droning atmospheres, just enough to associate it with proper prog/electronic stuff.

One of the two latest discs `Vuutayatu' released a couple of weeks ago is another gem:

https://virtual1.bandcamp.com/album/vuunayatu

Visit the Bandcamp page and give them album a try!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>