Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gliss bliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 19:30
I like the old classics like TD, Can, Kraftwerk and a lot of other Kraut Rock stuff, also Brain Eno, in fact I think David Byrne and Brian Eno's album My Life in a Bush of Ghosts should get a mention.  Got into a bit of dance music in the millennium period but I wouldn't be strictly a House or Techno fan, I'm more coming from the rock end so I like the drum n bass, jungle stuff that Aphex Twin is knocking out but he has made in the past beautiful beatless ambient music as well.  

More recently another artist who is influenced by Brian Eno would be Jon Hopkins from London, not strictly techno either but more about sound scapes.

Keiran Hebden aka Four Tet would be another interesting electronic artist.

Lets go to church and be good looking.
gliss bliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 20:05
This is one of Aphex Twin's rarer tracks its on the 12 inch vinyl's of the original press of Selected Ambient Works II 1994 a double record, but on the subsequent CD releases Stone in Focus has been omitted and the vinyl has never been re-released with that particular track, using the CD master for newer re-releases of SAW II.  This is probably his most progressive track.

Lets go to church and be good looking.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 05:40
Hello electronic friends, I'm hoping someone might be able to help with this album!

I recently came across this LP, and I have not been able to find a single Google result for it. It is an LP called `Insect Fantasy', it's on a Japanese label called (I think) Yupiteru. The exciting point for me was noticing that the back cover mentions two side-long pieces (side A: 22:35, side B: 21:09). From what I can tell, I think it's from 1981, so I'm wondering if it might be an electronic/New Age-y kind of title?

The spine mentions `Insect Fantasy by Oze', so that might be a hint about the artist?

I only paid $10, so no problem if it turns out to be rubbish, but I'd just like to know anything about it!

Has anybody heard it before or even have it in their collection?

Sadly I don't actually have a currently working turntable, otherwise I'd just spin the damn thing!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 17:44
^ Micahael, I have Binged, Googled, and Yahooed this thing to death and I can't get a single hit.  I spent a lot of time in the late 80s early 90s in the electronic and instrumental music world and don't remember (not that I would remember much from then anyway LOL) this one at all.  Curious what you find out!

I saw your albums listened too the other day and noticed Andreas Vollenweider, I used to have his first 4 or so albums and played them like crazy.  Such a magical and mystical sound that harp has.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 18:18
Here's the label at RYM, couldn't find the LP --

https://rateyourmusic.com/label/yupiteru_records/

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 00:24
Since I've gotten more into classical, I find the droney, ambient type of electronic music pretty boring these days.   It just feels like a cop out on the big scheme of things.  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 13:24
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I saw your albums listened too the other day and noticed Andreas Vollenweider, I used to have his first 4 or so albums and played them like crazy.  Such a magical and mystical sound that harp has.

Very good musical moments, far from cheap music, with Mr Vollenweider...Not only meaning Hans, also Andreas !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213