Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 17:07
When I think "progressive electronic," the first bands/artists that always come to mind straight away are Tangerine Dream, Synergy and the sort. Progressive music with electronic instruments as the chief composing/performing tools.  

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Also worth checking out : Software, Robert Schroeder, Bernd Kistenmacher, The Glimmer Room.

Robert Schroeder released many great albums through the '80s. I lost touch with his output after Pegasus, but stuff like TimeWaves, Computer Voice and Brain Voyager are Berlin School classics, IMO.
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Tangerine Dream is Ambient are they not? I don't want to get fancy over genre classification, cause it's all just good music, but I just think the term is a bit flawed.

Tangerine Dream's composed pieces that would definitely rate as ambient, but they're not an ambient group by any means. They've been Krautrock, Berlin School, symph prog, and there was that subpar stuff they issued in the '90s. LOL

Edited by verslibre - April 28 2013 at 17:08
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Tangerine Dream is Ambient are they not? I don't want to get fancy over genre classification, cause it's all just good music, but I just think the term is a bit flawed.

Tangerine Dream's composed pieces that would definitely rate as ambient, but they're not an ambient group by any means. They've been Krautrock, Berlin School, symph prog, and there was that subpar stuff they issued in the '90s. LOL

I would think they're purely Ambient Electronic. I mean, they did incorporate more Rock elements in there music later in their career, but those guys slaved over sequencers, synths, studio tricks, you name it. They always had an atmospheric sound.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 12:12
Ethelred7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 13:22
You have forgotten Klaus Schulze, he stood alone through the years among these former mates of Tangerine Dream.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 22:46
Progressive Electronic...I don't have a lot but really like these...

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Klaus Schulze - Picture Music
Richard Pinhaus - Chronolyse
Tomita - Pictures at an Exhibition

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 10:12
In addition to all the Germans mentioned and Brian Eno's ambient work (esp. his collaborations with Robert Fripp) I'm also quite fond of Biosphere, The Future Sound of London, Jean-Michel Jarre and Steve Roach. Surprised to find Coil, Lustmord and Throbbing Gristle on PA but I do like all three projects.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its a genre I know very little about even though I own a ton of Vangelis, Tomita,TD and JMJarre albums. Never really felt inclined to go beyond these.

It's tough, but you might also add Ryuichi Sakamoto to your list. He's worth it, and his list of soundtracks is very good, and he also has an Oscar for one of them with David Byrne.

Generally this one is tough. I just did a listing of some stuff in a friends show 30 years ago, and the list there was crazy and insane, and had, for example, Heldon, Bezombes et Rizet, Hydravion, Phillipe Grancherre (spelling!), Richard Schneider, Ash Ra Tempel, Cosmic Couriers, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Michael Hoenig, Peter Michael Hamel, Eberhard Schoenner, Tomita, Richard Pinhas, Conrad Schnitzler, Achim Reichel, Franco Battiatto, Beaver and Krause, Francis Monkman, Akira Ito, Mr. Takahashi, Kitaro, Chronicle, Far East Family Band, Ralph Lundstead, Robert Schroeder, Patrick Vien, Michael Bundt, JM Jarre, Steve Roach, George Harrison, Cluster, Harmonia, Fripp and Eno (only one person EVER played No Pussyfooting!), Dzyan, Space Art, 7th Wave, FM, and many many many others. And there was not a whole lot of repetition -- like there is on Live 365 or some of those silly streams of one song by the same band! -- like there is today, and the works, as mentioned by myself and others was always about the bottom 1,000,0000 instead of top ten ... but saying that here, most of you don't like it, because it makes you all feel bad! It's not meant to, but it tells you there is a world out there and it has music ... and how much do you want to hear and learn about?

You got to answer that first!

Saying that any of these is better, or worse, than anyone else, is difficult, as there are some gems amidst all of these, but having the ear to listen to any of them, or all of them, takes a different kind of person, and you can not be one that is aligned with the enemy and the top ten world of music! Most of these are way out there and different and not at all aligned with pop music, and belong in areas that are totally experimental and nuts and crazy ... and this is the part of the electronic music that is really far out and out there ... but we can not handle it well!

Remember that 30 years ago, electronic music was an experiment and still growing ... today, it's a joke and stupid, and just another instrument in the orchestra on a rock/pop song! You hardly find many composers of electronic music nowadays, as it is as if it doesn't exist anymore or is redundant like the folks using it, that can not create sounds and are not able to define something new and different.

Edited by moshkito - November 09 2013 at 13:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 23:04
You guys should check out Zorch. It's one of the best unknown bands of the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXL6840nYuU

One of my favorite songs from any band that has a page in the Prog Electronic section.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 23:09
I've quoted this more than a couple of times in the past and some certain people will maybe not like seeing it again, but for the sake of the question here, here is the summation at the end of the definition on the Prog Electronic page.

"To sum up things, the progressive electronic subgenre is dedicated to intricate, moving, cerebral, intrusive electronic experiences that get involved in "kosmische", dark ambient, (post) industrial, droning, surreal or impressionist soundscapes territories."
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 02:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Remember that 30 years ago, electronic music was an experiment and still growing ... today, it's a joke and stupid, and just another instrument in the orchestra on a rock/pop song! You hardly find many composers of electronic music nowadays, as it is as if it doesn't exist anymore or is redundant like the folks using it, that can not create sounds and are not able to define something new and different.

As the cliché goes: You're not listening to the right electronic projects then. Check out some of the stuff reviewed by the industrial/noise webzine Heathen Harvest. Unless, of course, it's implicit that the kind of music they review is too esoteric and inaccessible both in sound and thematic concept to have any significant impact.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 06:25
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 08:03
Hi.My first post hereSmile
Could you recommend me some electronic stuff with electric guitar solos?Something like Ashra's Friendship or TD's Underwater Sunlight and 220 Volt.I'm also curious to know if there is any other bands that produce this kind of music
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 08:14
Well you can't go wrong with any of Manuel Göttsching's solo albums. Inventions for electric guitar, e2 e4 and the lot. Very much in the vein of Ashra - hell it's more or less the same, after all he was the only musician in both of these constellations. I'd also strongly suggest you check out his collab with Michael Hoenig entitled Early Water. Very guitar dominated as per usual with Manuel. 

What else? Hmm do you know Harmonia? German electronic outfit that infused a lot of guitar into their pieces. 

Maybe also check out some French electronic. Heldon's Stand By, Pőle - Rizet, Pascal Comelade - Fluence are all albums I'd recommend to folks who dig a little guitar twang with their bip bips.

Oh and where the hell are my manners...Embarrassed
Welcome to the site! I hope you'll stick around - maybe meet some of our much beloved music maniacs.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 10 2013 at 08:29
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well you can't go wrong with any of Manuel Göttsching's solo albums. Inventions for electric guitar, e2 e4 and the lot. Very much in the vein of Ashra - hell it's more or less the same, after all he was the only musician in both of these constellations. I'd also strongly suggest you check out his collab with Michael Hoenig entitled Early Water. Very guitar dominated as per usual with Manuel. 

What else? Hmm do you know Harmonia? German electronic outfit that infused a lot of guitar into their pieces. 

Maybe also check out some French electronic. Heldon's Stand By, Pőle - Rizet, Pascal Comelade - Fluence are all albums I'd recommend to folks who dig a little guitar twang with their bip bips.

Welcome to the site! I hope you'll stick around - maybe meet some of our much beloved music maniacs.

Thanks.I will check them.Is there any guitar featured album by Schulze?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Not exactly, but he does feature on the first 3 Ash Ra Tempel albums, where Manuel Göttsching also plays a mean guitar. Then there's the collab he did with Far East Family Band entitled Parallel Worlds. I think he snuck in some electronics as well. even so, it's a beauty with loads of psychedelic atmospheres and guitar solos.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 09:13

Could you recommend me some electronic stuff with electric guitar solos?Something like Ashra's Friendship or TD's Underwater Sunlight and 220 Volt.I'm also curious to know if there is any other bands that produce this kind of music

Not 'electronic music' but the German band Eloy combined synths and guitars beautifully on the albums Planets and Time To Turn. 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not 'electronic music' but the German band Eloy combined synths and guitars beautifully on the albums Planets and Time To Turn. 

Check out Radio Massacre International - Rain Falls In Grey, they are mainly a electronic band but this tribute to Syd Barrett has a lot of guitar featured and is a wonderful album.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 10 2013 at 09:54
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 10:24

Welcome.

Harmonia and Heldon have already been mentioned. You might enjoy this song:

...unfortunately, they don't have many songs like that. Zed released only one album in 1979 called Visions Of Dune. Some songs have guitar and/or drums but not all:

The band You also used both guitars and drums:

Edited by zravkapt - November 10 2013 at 10:25
Magma America Great Make Again
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 12:34
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I've quoted this more than a couple of times in the past and some certain people will maybe not like seeing it again, but for the sake of the question here, here is the summation at the end of the definition on the Prog Electronic page.

"To sum up things, the progressive electronic subgenre is dedicated to intricate, moving, cerebral, intrusive electronic experiences that get involved in "kosmische", dark ambient, (post) industrial, droning, surreal or impressionist soundscapes territories."

AND that can be done by anyone anytime, but the musical tendencies these days are not conducive to this kind of creativity, and is what this thread and material is all about.

What you are saying is that no one can play the violin today, because it can't sound as good as it did 200 years ago! Or that it can't have the same moods as it did then ... and that means it comes off like music history can not have its own personality, or repeated later.

It can, and it will continue to do so!

I also have an issue with "surreal or impressionistic soundscapes..." which is like saying that you are not allowed to have an imagination and not tell the story of Carmen or Turandot in the conventional way with dialogue so you can understand the story that is being told.

Phaedra, by TD, thus, is just an impressionistic soundscape ... which might have been just a title, when the whole thing is just an act of love (if we can say that), all the way to an orgasm, but saying that is surreal, and impressionistic because you can't experience it?

BIZARRE!

Edited by moshkito - November 12 2013 at 11:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 12:39

IN BLUE

Double CD with Manuel and Klaus.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>