0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 15:00
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Camel's prog in a 70's classic prog sense, which was like 40 years ago. They've been rehashing the same old sound for years, which is great, that's what makes them distinctive and unique. But progressive music has to progress, it can't just be Hammond Organ solos and Space themes 20 years later.
Wait for '99 with Rajaz Wink

What, are they 70's oriented?
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 15:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Neurosis - Locust StarHeart

Remember buying the live cd from Ozzfest 96, where Coal Chamber, Biohazard, Slayer, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Powerman 5000, Cellophane and Neurosis all featured on. I immediately became a Neurosis fan.

I just love the cracking windows effect of Locust Star.
Oh my here it is on YouTube:

The song is sooo heeaavvvyyy. It's almost frightening listening to it. That whole entire album is just blistering.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 23:28

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Camel's prog in a 70's classic prog sense, which was like 40 years ago. They've been rehashing the same old sound for years, which is great, that's what makes them distinctive and unique. But progressive music has to progress, it can't just be Hammond Organ solos and Space themes 20 years later.
Wait for '99 with Rajaz Wink

What, are they 70's oriented?
I see Rajaz as a darker follow-up to Mirage. I don't think we can call 70s oriented somebody who was there. They are have probably "oriented the 70s"
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:05
lol... Neurosis.

After Crying, I guess. Later Camel is pretty good though. I go back and forth between "whoa this rules" and "this is sh*t" on Cardiacs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 19:49
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

lol... Neurosis.

Oh yeah? Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:55
I don't mind pre-post-metal (there's a tag for you) Neurosis. However, based on the other options, this was supposed to be a prog poll. Prog has lost much of its meaning with the hyper-inclusiveness of this site.

I'm even skeptical about krautrock lately. It slides by because minimalism is still considered "classical" (another word with a degraded meaning).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 11:47
I think the popular misconception is the actual term "Prog Rock". I'd hate to get all fancy and start this argument, I mean it's been butchered countless times, right? But, do you really expect a band, or a genre for that fact to stay in one place, with one distinctive sound, especially when it's been around for 40+ years. This isn't 1969 people. We've gotten past Mellotron flourishes and Moog solos. It's time to focus on different characteristics of making experimental/progressive music. I mean I realize Prog is such a broad term, basically all music is progressive, but it seems to be Prog has become more of a certain sound, rather than an ideology.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:58
My vote goes to Anathema's Angelica. Love that track! Honourable mention to Motorpsycho's S.T.G.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 01:18

I don't mind pre-post-metal (there's a tag for you) Neurosis. However, based on the other options, this was supposed to be a prog poll. Prog has lost much of its meaning with the hyper-inclusiveness of this site.
<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">
I'm even skeptical about krautrock lately. It slides by because minimalism is still considered "classical" (another word with a degraded meaning).

Its not supposed to be a prog poll, its a poll about what track you like not what track is prog.
I have not said anywhere that the track should be prog. Actualy personaly when i listen to a track, i couldent care less if its prog or not.
It must be on PA, but that is a rule of the game, nothing to do with the track beeing prog.

Edited by tamijo - May 05 2013 at 01:24
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 22:52
IMO, including ambient / drone-ish rock is one step too far. At that point, progressive is very close to "any non-standard rock music". Krautrock and progressive electronic at least usually had some sort of "classical" basis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 21:28

IMO, including ambient / drone-ish rock is one step too far. At that point, progressive is very close to "any non-standard rock music". Krautrock and progressive electronic at least usually had some sort of "classical" basis.

That's what I'm saying. It's more a specific sound, from a specific era, and most people seem to identify it as that. Progressive music really has no direct meaning any more, cause there's so much out there, 40 years on, and really, all music is progressive, it has to change, nothing stays stagnant. And on the side, minimalism is the classical influence on Krautrock, I assume, right?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 16:47
Minimalism, yes. Although I've been doubting how meaningful it is to think of it that way.

Are you saying it should not be identified as a sound, but rather as an ideology of innovation? I have no right to deny others that view, but imo you'd have to include things like the VU and Sonic Youth here then, and it just isn't a very meaningful idea then. I think rather there should be a good "experimental rock" forum for them, and Neurosis. Here's how I've been thinking of it:

Progressive = expansion via complexity, building things up, influence from classical, order. Experimental = expansion via hazard, breaking things down, influence from jazz / ambient / noise, chaos.

Of course, progressive and experimental coexist in many bands. It's not like this would remove too many bands from the archives. Mainly just post-rock. Maybe kraut could be one of those things featured on both. It would depend on the bands. However, it feels awkward to have stark contrasts like symphonic and post-metal side by side here, as though they are even remotely part of the same thing.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 00:34
I dont understand why you care that much, its not like you are forced to listen to everything on the archives, if you dislike ambient or post metal, you can just stay away from those genres.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 01:19
Until not many years ago I was mainly in symphonic and psychedelic, then I started wondering why people should like things like Avant or Post-metal. Later I have discovered that I was already listening to those genres without knowing their names , but most of all I have tried to open my mind trying to understand what people finds in bands like Arcturus or Senmuth, Then I have rediscovered Krautrock and Zeuhl (I had a couple of Magma vinyls and Tago Mago).I don't likeprog metal too much but I have rated The Human Equation with 5 stars....

Just open your minds or, as Tamijo says, just stay away from what you don't like, but at least give a try to the samples first, and give a listen to Joke Inc when you have time.Wink

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 05:12
The night and the silent water
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12