FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool - Australia 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool - Australia 2013
    Posted: April 28 2013 at 22:48
Anyone seen Tool on the current Australian tour yet?  Are they trotting out the same presentation and set we've seen over the last few years?
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
Barbed_Aedeagus69 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 07:41
I saw them for the first time on Sat. Great concert but too short. To answer your question, yes. From my understanding its the same. My friend saw them a few years ago as well and he said from memory they played much the same songs. They don't change it much because of the lasers etc.
bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 04:44
Well I saw them on Monday night here in Brisbane and they were great.  The setlist was far better this time around than the last tour.  It was a very Aenima-centric setlist:  Stinkfist, 46and2, Hooker, Push*t and Aenema were all there.  The only track from 10k Days was Jambi, which also happens to be the best track on that album.

Even Opiate was trotted out.  Don't think I've seen that live since '95.  Very much a crowd favourite too.

As for presentation, the production was pretty much the same as recent tours and Maynard is still hiding in the shadows.  That's gotten very old and tired in my opinion.  When I go to a show, I want to actually see people perform.  As a comparison, if Danny Carey was in the dark the whole night I'd be mighty pissed, so I don't see why other performers should be. 

It was an interesting change-up for maybe one tour, but this has now been going on for years.  The real shame of it is that Maynard is a great performer, and with Jones and Chancellor not offering a whole lot in terms of showmanship, he's needed up front.

But that's the only complaint.  Really, I loved the show, and have had my faith largely restored after an underwhelming performance here in 2011.
Reddkillz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 09:48
Tool is my favorite band but ive never gotten to them live :( but in my opinion i dont think they neccessarily have to be up front. people just need to enjoy the music and new improvising that goes on a rock show. these days people wont shut the hell up. just enjoy and stop taking pics! haha
bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 17:30
Yeh sure, each to their own, but putting on a show means more than just audio stimulation - even Tool acknowledge this, otherwise why have the 10 metre video wall?

Security was really cracking down on people taking pics/videos at the gig.  I've never seen anything like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply