Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuperstitious with your prog ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Superstitious with your prog ?
    Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:19
Yeah, weird subject, I know.  Are you in any way superstitious with your prog ? For example, I love Spock's Beard's Octane, but since the main track, A Flash Before My Eyes, deals with someone dying in a car accident, I NEVER listen to this album in my car. Confused

What about you, prog-brothers and sisters ?
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:27
No I am not.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:30
I've had a car crash with Battiato in the stereo. I never listen to him when I'm in a car.

Edited by octopus-4 - April 29 2013 at 14:31
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:31
I was nearly killed in a car accident a few years ago, driving on a road that, in the space of about 30 seconds, was completely covered in ice by a storm...I ended up sliding onto the area that divides two sides of a highway, crashed into trees at about 50 kms, they pierced through the windshield and front console area. The car was a total write off, the CD I was listening to at the time, somehow ended up behind my seat, about a billion scratches on it.

It was `The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday', and I've still got that very same ruined CD....I don't know whether it's bad luck or good luck....Needless to say it's not in my new car anymore, and no accidents since!

Oh, and I didn't get even a single scratch. The ambulance and polcie were in total disbelief.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:52
^ I think someone was watching over you!

Although not prog, I don't think I will listen to DOA by Bloodrock while flying in a plane...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:00
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ I think someone was watching over you!

Although not prog, I don't think I will listen to DOA by Bloodrock while flying in a plane...

Jim! You know, as I was heading right for those jagged limbs, and knew I was going to be going straight into them, the cliche of `time standing still', or everything in slow motion literally did feel like it was happening....I looked straight at the small cross hanging from my mirror and said `Lord God, don't let me die....' - BANG.

So, yes, I'm very susperstitious about that event, and you know....I also had (and have still got!) a small figurine of Ned Flanders in the car too! Double the spiritual protection!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 29 2013 at 15:15
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:00
I'm not superstitious at all.

I would happily listen to Lynyrd Skynrd on a plane - if you gave me a huge dose of rohypnol or similar and dragged me screaming and kicking on to the bloody thing in the first place.

The music wouldn't affect whether it crashed or not. My presence would pretty much guarantee it.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:03
I got in a real bad car accident while "The Adventures of Greggary Peccary" by Zappa was playing, and it took me a long time to listen to that one again.  Not really because of any superstition,, but just because it brought back such horrid memories.

One thing I do, though... every CD I ever listen to, I skip the first ten seconds of the CD.  I have a strange irrational fear that I'll fall off the edge of the music if I don't start it a safe distance in.  Crazy, I know.

And false too. I just made that up BWAAA HAAAHA HA
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:04
I once got food poisoning from Subway (as did 11 of my coworkers that day) and never eat at Subway anymore.  Wait...ummmm, no I'm not. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:09
I tend to be fairly superstitious despite knowing that it is irrational, but that being said, I can't think of any prog related superstitions offhand.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:09
*knocks on wood*
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:46
I will admit, I do get slightly creeped out when "Arriving Somewhere but not Here" comes on while I'm driving.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 16:08
I have a strong case of aviatophobia.

1.- Each time I get into a plane, I play "One More Red Nightmare" it's a tradition.

2.- When I drive to the mountains, I always play Roundabout to start the trip

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 16:44
I was superstitious in another way. 

Once in my student days I've listened to "Led Zeppelin IV" before going to exams. Since then I believed this album helps to get the highest rates. So this album became a kind of talisman.

And I always liked to listen to Deep Purple's "Black Night" before the long road. This song always brought me a good fortune.  
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:17
I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:35
Why don't they have seat row 13 on planes - how many aircrashes are there where only one row of seats fell out? Is sitting in the back row the safest place to be because planes don't reverse into mountains? Why aren't planes made from the same material as the black box flight recorder? If flying is safer than crossing the road why don't we fly across the road? If jet fighters have ejector seats why don't they have them on jet airliners? Why don't aircraft have a huge paracute strapped to the fuselage? Or why don't they inflate the lifejackets and rafts with helium? Why do they tell you to adopt the 'crash' position, can't we adopt the 'bit of bump and gentle roll to a stop' survival position instead?
What?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1.- Each time I get into a plane, I play "One More Red Nightmare" it's a tradition.

You listening to Roundabout? I didn't expect that...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:26
As for me, I try to avoid music with satanic lyrics, and perhaps some other un-pleasant themes. That's the reason I hesitate to get into Therion, and am somewhat uncomfortable with Opeth's "Heritage". Though I guess sometimes it's hard to get the true meaning of the writer.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

You listening to Roundabout? I didn't expect that...

Hey, Roundabout was the song that introduced me to Prog.

Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 23:41
Maybe not superstitious, but certain albums remind me of certain situations.  Recently, for example, I was listening to Jupiter Society right before an interview that didn't end the way I'd hoped.  I haven't listened to that album since then, even though I had just purchased it.  Certain places "feel" like a certain album, too.  If I listen to a certain album quite a bit while in a certain town, I identify them together for years to come.  Weird?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>