Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuperstitious with your prog ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Moshkito, you don't understand this thread.

Hey Professor ... you must not know either, since you are not capable of explaining it ... but then, English was never known for being a precise language, specially in America where they have ebonics, not grammar!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

I would have thought his `Chariots Of Fire' soundtrack would have been very appropriate for any marathons, Nick! You can also imagine moving in slow motion as you cross the finish line!

Oh I can and I will!!! Na I gotta be cool and not joke around cause of the whole Boston bombing at their last marathon. Otherwise my good friend I would! And you are right. Chariots would be more appropriate, but the CITY sedates and relaxes me more. Better ambience for me. :) The Procession gets me ready everytime.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:03

I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

I nominate this for post of the year.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 16:28
I always have a premonition that a spinning, mirrored ball will appear just at the beginning of a live performance of "Close To The Edge."  

And at the end as well.

Edited by cstack3 - May 08 2013 at 16:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

Yeah. Dean has really been on his game lately. He is defiantely not senile.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:49

Seconded.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:53
I'm not superstitious as far as I know, but have been known to "knock on wood" from time to time after making a definitive statement (an act I tend to think of more as hedging my bets than as real superstition).

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:46

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.
I think that my cousin ran the Pittsburgh marathon that day.  Is that the one that you ran?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.
Together with the coincidence of DT's Live Scenes From New York original cover.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that my cousin ran the Pittsburgh marathon that day.  Is that the one that you ran?

Hey man. Yeah I ran the Toronto, Goodlife one. It was on May 5th. I missed qualifying for Boston by 32min. :(
I'll get there....one day. I can try again in October cause that's the scotiabank one it's a Boston qualifier as well.
There are 2 major marathons in Toronto only.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ I think someone was watching over you!

Although not prog, I don't think I will listen to DOA by Bloodrock while flying in a plane...

Brilliant!  That song scared the s&^* out of me when I was 11 years old.  It was on the radio constantly in the spring of 1971 and I remember being obsessed with it...I couldn't get the lyrics out of my head.  I remember lying in bed at night terrified that it would happen to me.  The only other song that scared me as much was the Beatles "Revolution 9."  I was big into the whole "Paul is Dead" thing and  "Revolution 9" always seemed to me to be the soundtrack to his demise.

I'm superstitious about Peter Hammill.  When younger, my problems with chronic depression were often enhanced by PH...his lyrics could send me in a downward spiral if I wasn't careful, so I would only listen to his solo albums when I was feeling really good.  VDGG (which was much more surrealistic and abstract) have never had that effect on me, but PH's solo work which is often uncomfortably personal, intense, and depressing often triggered bad things for me Clown

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 07:34
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded (?)

Posts like these are yet another reason why I love this site! :-)
Welcome to the middle of the film.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 07:38
Is it okay to listen to Rush's "Jacob's Ladder" on headphones whilst walking under a ladder?
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 08:45
My Prog listening habits are often influenced by when I first listened to the respective artists. This is sometimes by design in order to take me back to that time in my life, or just because, Oh, I haven't walked through these woods since the fall when I first heard VDGG.

Quick Seasons Chart.
Late Dec-Early March- Genesis
Mid-March-Mid July-Yes
May-Sept-ELP
Late May- Early July-Steve Hackett
August-Early November-Rush
Early August-Late September- Moody Blues
August-late Oct-VDGG
Early November-Late December- Pink Floyd

I'm crazy, I know

Edited by Astral Traveller - May 20 2013 at 09:04

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 09:02
Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

Oh, I haven't waled through these woods since the fall when I first heard VDGG.
I have to admit I didn't know what waled was until Iooked it up, but I imagine falling down when you first heard VDGG would result in a very nasty welt, and on your wood too, that must be very painful Pinch
What?
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 09:05
I'm currently in a High School Algebra class, with a teacher looking over my shoulder constantly, suffice to say I didn't have time to spell check, I fixed it, thanks for pointing that out.

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 16:22
Not particularly, but I once crashed my car while listening to ItCotCK. But I solved that problem, I sold my car.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 21:30
I one time was listening to prog in the car when I had to stop for a train. I waited a really long time for it to pass. Now I never listen to Big Big Train in the car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>