1 [1.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

As a Spanish I have a soft spot for Maquina's Why? surrealistic yet minimalist croissant cover, but my vote goes to Brain Salad, although I also love the classicism of Novalis'.

I am actually still making up my mind about this, but you mention at least two of my faves in your post GerardSmile I too am really smitten by the classicism of Novalis Sommerabend - in fact I'd venture as far as to say that the style is a clearcut rendition of the art nouveau creeping up in music covers around a decade before this album. 
Whatever tag one wishes to throw at it - it sure is beautiful.

I can't help loving the art nouveau / modernist aesthetics, call me an old-fashioned. Posters, shops, buildings, furniture... it was a great design movement, and of course being Catalan with Gaudi being a top (if not THE top) modernist architect and living in Belgium with Victor Horta a close runner-up, I have some bias towards this wonderful movement.

Regarding Maquina's Why? croissant cover with the alarm clock, just say that although there is a strong popular belief that it represented a symbolic call to Spain to 'wake up from the dictatorship of Franco', its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something surrealistic in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the alarm clock and he liked it. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Edited by Gerinski - May 09 2013 at 07:51
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:52

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As a Spanish I have a soft spot for Maquina's Why? surrealistic yet minimalist croissant cover, but my vote goes to Brain Salad, although I also love the classicism of Novalis'.

I am actually still making up my mind about this, but you mention at least two of my faves in your post GerardSmile I too am really smitten by the classicism of Novalis Sommerabend - in fact I'd venture as far as to say that the style is a clearcut rendition of the art nouveau creeping up in music covers around a decade before this album. 
Whatever tag one wishes to throw at it - it sure is beautiful.

I can't help loving the art nouveau / modernist aesthetics, call me an old-fashioned. Posters, shops, buildings, furniture... it was a great design movement, and of course being Catalan with Gaudi being a top (if not THE top) modernist architect and living in Belgium with Victor Horta a close runner-up, I have some bias towards this wonderful movement.

Regarding Maquina's Why? croissant cover with the alarm clock, just say that although there is a strong popular belief that it represented a symbolic call to Spain to 'wake up from the dictatorship of Franco', its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something surrealist in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the alarm clock and he liked it. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Well in that case then I guess you can call me old-fashioned as wellLOL I love the arts from around the same time. Something quite beautiful and illustrious happened back then - something that didn't only show its face in music.

Thanks for the insight into that Maquina cover too. I had no idea. Just goes to show that we learn something new every day - well we can try now can't weTongue 
Thanks again Gerard. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:03
I forgot to voteLOL

I'm going with Horrific Child on this one, but there are so many that I could've voted for.
I just love the strangeness of this one. This is a bigger version of it:
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234