Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPigeons - Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pigeons - Genesis
    Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:44
What's YOUR interpretation of the song? I have my own, but won't share it... yet. Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:31
Pigeons pooing on a building Headbanger
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:39
An office bloke wants to get rid of the pigeons. So  he does.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 06:12
I reckon it was a "before it's time" - anti-Thatcher song.......Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 06:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Yep, that's how I've always seen it, as a straightforward story about pigeons I guess you could read all sorts of things into it and make it out to be an allegory about practically anything.

Now as for "Match of the Day", that's an obvious allegory about Thatcherism, the economic state of Britain and it's contribution to the world economic crisis.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 06:36
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Yep, that's how I've always seen it, as a straightforward story about pigeons I guess you could read all sorts of things into it and make it out to be an allegory about practically anything.

Now as for "Match of the Day", that's an obvious allegory about Thatcherism, the economic state of Britain and it's contribution to the world economic crisis.
Man, politics..................... Dead
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:42
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

What's YOUR interpretation of the song? I have my own, but won't share it... yet. Wink
Come on then, share!

I suppose you're now going to say that "Supper's Ready" is not a song about a woman calling upstairs to her children having made a late evening snack for them.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 09:36

pfft.

I would have thought it was so obvious it is barely worth the effort of formulating the interpretation, which hitherto has been withheld, into more precise or possibly less prosaic summarisation and analysis of 'the lyric' contained in the expertly crafted, rhythmically edifying and philosophically illuminate language apropos the OPs desire to maintain a level of detached observational distancing that permits remote superintending of any ensuing analysis and discussion that would run counter to his preconceptions that have gestated under careful conditions of deliberation and self-cogitatation, which by deflectional means would indubitably focus upon the hegemony of the besieged combatants in the narative, (if the mere mention of both an office of a distinctly foreign nature and a square that commemorates an ocean-born battle between two opposing nations in the opening stanza were not indicative enough, henceforth no further hints or clues will be provided), coupled with the suppresion of the proletariat albeit in a metaphorical anthropomorphism caricature by virtue of an avian population, (of the clade Columbidae, and that is positively the last clue), that is an erzatz representation of the zeitgeist gestalt schadenfreude inherrent in the decentralised federalisation of quasifuedal civilisations embroiled in a timeless conflict between the corporate monitarianistic deregulation and fiscally-predicated puissance masquerading as a politicopsychosocial (yet often racially motivated and theologically delineated) Blytonism, [after Enid Mary, b.1897 d.1968, not to be confused with Carterism, Bonhamism or Helenaism, which are beyond the scope of this compendiary], which, all will be familiar, entails a central protagonist's companion of a diminutive stature and disproportionate aural receptors, hitherto a dweller of an ethereal kingdom that also is native to creatures whose chosen domicile is beneath a construction of timbers designed to facilitate the traversing of a waterway by a sojournering family of the genus capra, which would be worthy of further contemplation if it were not such a clumsily placed contrivance of no specific relevance to the lyric-anatomisation process. Needless to say subsequent derivations are an inevitable consequence and not necessarily constrained within the dictum of academic stricture normally found in such torpid establishments, which is a sufficient means of conveying the central idiomatic notionalisation that it is encompassing a considerable quantity of the encrusting guanofication of line one, verse one.

Edited by Dean - May 01 2013 at 12:22
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

pfft.

I would have thought it was so obvious it is barely worth the effort of formulating the interpretation, which hitherto has been withheld, into more precise or possibly less prosaic summarisation and analysis of 'the lyric' contained in the expertly crafted, rhythmically edifying and philosophically illuminate language apropos the OPs desire to maintain a level of detached observational distancing that permits remote superintending of any ensuing analysis and discussion that would run counter to his preconceptions that have gestated under careful conditions of deliberation and self-cogitatation, which by deflectional means would indubitably focus upon the hegemony of the besieged combatants in the narative, (if the mere mention of both an office of a distinctly foreign nature and a square that commemorates an ocean-born battle between two opposing nations in the opening stanza were not indicative enough, henceforth no further hints or clues will be provided), coupled with the suppresion of the proletariat albeit in a metaphorical anthropomorphism caricature by virtue of an avian population, (of the clade Columbidae, and that is positively the last clue), that is an erzatz representation of the zeitgeist gestalt schadenfreude inherrent in the decentralised federalisation of quasifuedal civilisations embroiled in a timeless conflict between the corporate monitarianistic deregualtion and fiscally-predicated puissance masquerading as a politicopsychosocial (yet often racially motivated and theologically delineated) Blytonism, [after Enid Mary, b.1897 d.1968, not to be confused with Carterism, Bonhamism or Helenaism, which are beyond the scope of this compendiary], which all will be familiar entails a central protagonist's companion of a diminutive stature and disproportionate aural receptors, hitherto a dweller of an ethereal kingdom that also is native to creatures whose chosen domicile is beneath a construction of timbers designed to facilitate the traversing of a waterway by a sojournering family of the genus capra, which would be worthy of further contemplation if it were not such a clumsily placed contrivance of no specific relevance to the lyric-anatomisation process. Needless to say subsequent derivations are an inevitable consequence and not necessarily constrained within the dictum of academic stricture normally found in such torpid establishments, which is a sufficient means of conveying the central idiomatic notionalisation that it is encompassing a considerable quantity of the encrsuting guanofication of line one, verse one.
Uncanny, that's what I was going to say.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 14:56

pfft.

I would have thought it was so obvious it is barely worth the effort of formulating the interpretation, which hitherto has been withheld, into more precise or possibly less prosaic summarisation and analysis of 'the lyric' contained in the expertly crafted, rhythmically edifying and philosophically illuminate language apropos the OPs desire to maintain a level of detached observational distancing that permits remote superintending of any ensuing analysis and discussion that would run counter to his preconceptions that have gestated under careful conditions of deliberation and self-cogitatation, which by deflectional means would indubitably focus upon the hegemony of the besieged combatants in the narative, (if the mere mention of both an office of a distinctly foreign nature and a square that commemorates an ocean-born battle between two opposing nations in the opening stanza were not indicative enough, henceforth no further hints or clues will be provided), coupled with the suppresion of the proletariat albeit in a metaphorical anthropomorphism caricature by virtue of an avian population, (of the clade Columbidae, and that is positively the last clue), that is an erzatz representation of the zeitgeist gestalt schadenfreude inherrent in the decentralised federalisation of quasifuedal civilisations embroiled in a timeless conflict between the corporate monitarianistic deregualtion and fiscally-predicated puissance masquerading as a politicopsychosocial (yet often racially motivated and theologically delineated) Blytonism, [after Enid Mary, b.1897 d.1968, not to be confused with Carterism, Bonhamism or Helenaism, which are beyond the scope of this compendiary], which all will be familiar entails a central protagonist's companion of a diminutive stature and disproportionate aural receptors, hitherto a dweller of an ethereal kingdom that also is native to creatures whose chosen domicile is beneath a construction of timbers designed to facilitate the traversing of a waterway by a sojournering family of the genus capra, which would be worthy of further contemplation if it were not such a clumsily placed contrivance of no specific relevance to the lyric-anatomisation process. Needless to say subsequent derivations are an inevitable consequence and not necessarily constrained within the dictum of academic stricture normally found in such torpid establishments, which is a sufficient means of conveying the central idiomatic notionalisation that it is encompassing a considerable quantity of the encrsuting guanofication of line one, verse one.

Word for word, me too.

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 15:01
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

pfft.

Word for word, me too.

"I've fallen off my chair, Brian."
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 20:49
@Dean That joke makes about as much sense as having a chick in your profile pic, ya' cross-eyed-mary. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 01:22
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

@Dean That joke makes about as much sense as having a chick in your profile pic, ya' cross-eyed-mary. 
The current evidence suggest that both served their intended purpose adequately.
What?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 03:36
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Not quite. You have to look a bit further back into the future. To the time when Charles III is about to become king for a day, to be more precisely. Shortly after he attended the inauguration of queen Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands on the Dam (thrice pays for all), he made a walk on Trafalgar Square. Both squares are (over)crowded with pigeons. But the men who are hired to wipe the pigeon excrements off the roofs are soon to be found more annoying than the pigeons themselves...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 03:58
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Not quite. You have to look a bit further back into the future. To the time when Charles III is about to become king for a day, to be more precisely. Shortly after he attended the inauguration of queen Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands on the Dam (thrice pays for all), he made a walk on Trafalgar Square. Both squares are (over)crowded with pigeons. But the men who are hired to wipe the pigeon excrements off the roofs are soon to be found more annoying than the pigeons themselves...
Quite. Of course this recalls the famous "Monstrous Carbuncle" speech His Royal Highness the Chas Apparent gave regarding the view of the National Gallery from the afore mentioned Trafalgar Square coated, as it was at that time, in a thick layer of pigeon guano not unlike the gaudy wedding cake feasted upon by guests at his fated marriage to the Queen of Hearts (not to be confused with Carter, Bonham, Helena)
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:32
Still waiting for Tubes' interpretation...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 05:06
Still waiting for Tubes to edit his Octopus review as instructed...
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 05:51

Still waiting for Tubes to edit his Octopus review as instructed...
LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 05:54
I've read his interpretation of other lyrics so this should be a laugh.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:18

I have had a re-think - clearly - Collins was actually aware of his current wife's predilection for painter & decorators - the pigeons reference is in fact alluding to the fact that if the P & D has been whitewashing your flat whilst simultaneously whitewashing your mrs with his man-paste.....The associative mental image will reflected everywhere the Pigeons have "decorated" the landscape.....Smile

Edited by M27Barney - May 02 2013 at 07:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>