Topic ClosedEverything is prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 03:56
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Progressive music actually does have something to do with actual innovation.

Agreed; and as long as what is not progressive is still clear and relevant - folk, pop, rock 'n roll, jazz, etc. - that which is progressive still has purpose.

It's easier to be original playing prog than any other popular music style (to me this is the most intuitively obvious thing in the world, but some have a hard time with it).

Though true, I think part of the challenge in doing non-progressive music is not having the avenues and liberties that are available to the progressive approach --  it's the very restrictions that give certain composing styles a direction and discipline.   In that way, prog may actually be easier than distilling an idea or feeling into its purest and most direct form.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:20

Progressive music actually does have something to do with actual innovation. Fusing rock with the broader composition of classical represents the farthest that rock can be taken, and the greatest amount of possibilities/variations in the style. It's easier to be original playing prog than any other popular music style (to me this is the most intuitively obvious thing in the world, but some have a hard time with it).

While Progressive music of course does have a lot to do with progression and innovation, I don't think that the actual piece of music has to progress or be innovative to be Prog, because then there's the argument of where you draw the line on what's innovation and what's not.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:20
Christian Vander did the most intelligent thing by inventing a new word to define his music. Why don't we do the same? Instead of "progressive" let's call it "Maendisila". (I have composed this work taking the first half from the Swahili and the second half from the Malesian words for progressive. Wink 

A word without a meaning can be the solution.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:27
Progress does not mean innovation. It simply means moving forward. The two are not synonymous or mutually inclusive.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:30
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Christian Vander did the most intelligent thing by inventing a new word to define his music. Why don't we do the same? Instead of "progressive" let's call it "Maendisila". (I have composed this work taking the first half from the Swahili and the second half from the Malesian words for progressive. Wink 

Then there would be arguments about whether band A was neo-Maendisila or crossover-Maendisila.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 05:34
Originally posted by Lord_Adon Lord_Adon wrote:

Well I am new to the forum, and was not aware that people bring this up. Was just looking for some thread points LOL

Welcome

Just be aware that everything you'll ever want to discuss, has been discussed before ad nauseum on these forums, so please just start 'fun' threads and 'What is your favourite pie' polls, and you'll get on with everyone just fine..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 06:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Well I am new to the forum, and was not aware that people bring this up. Was just looking for some thread points LOL

Welcome

Just be aware that everything you'll ever want to discuss, has been discussed before ad nauseum on these forums, so please just start 'fun' threads and 'What is your favourite pie' polls, and you'll get on with everyone just fine..

LOL
I must start a pie thread.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 06:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Then there would be arguments about whether band A was neo-Maendisila or crossover-Maendisila.

We're neither, we're Indo-Raga-Maendisila (on ice)
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:13
LOL
[/QUOTE]

Great, now I'm hungry . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:27
The answer is simple :
"The Creative is tamed by Kên, Keeping Still.  This produces great power, a
situation in contrast to that of the ninth hexagram, Hsiao Ch'u, THE
TAMING POWER OF THE SMALL, in which the Creative is tamed by the
Gentle alone. There one weak line must tame five strong lines, but here four
strong lines are restrained by two weak lines; in addition to a minister, there
is a prince, and the restraining power therefore is afar stronger."

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:54

Progressive music actually does have something to do with actual innovation. Fusing rock with the broader composition of classical represents the farthest that rock can be taken, and the greatest amount of possibilities/variations in the style. It's easier to be original playing prog than any other popular music style (to me this is the most intuitively obvious thing in the world, but some have a hard time with it).

Sure - in 1969
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:59
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

We're neither, we're Indo-Raga-Maendisila (on ice)

I don't think that theremins fit into the Indo-Raga-Maendisila subgenre. Geek
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 08:27
I think the OP confuses "exciting" as an adjective with "Progressive" as a genre/movement

...or what Dean explained already Wink
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 08:45
I'm reading a bit in a book by one of the folks who think they know a bit more than the ordinary about prog rock these days, and a band mentioned as having a part in the development of the genre is Rolling Stones. Without ever described as progressive per se I'll hastily add.

I think it would be helpful in debates such as this to compare progressive with mainstream rather than comparing progressive with progressive. If you want to look at the difference between apples and pears, actually looking at apples and pears is so much better than than looking at apples trying to see if some of them look more like pears.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 09:03
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I'm reading a bit in a book by one of the folks who think they know a bit more than the ordinary about prog rock these days, and a band mentioned as having a part in the development of the genre is Rolling Stones. Without ever described as progressive per se I'll hastily add.

I think it would be helpful in debates such as this to compare progressive with mainstream rather than comparing progressive with progressive. If you want to look at the difference between apples and pears, actually looking at apples and pears is so much better than than looking at apples trying to see if some of them look more like pears.
On"Pigs Might Fly" which is about the Pink Floyd's history Rolling Stones are barely mentioned and never as influencers, neither for the psych-blues of the Floyd's very beginnings. In terms of psychedelia the Beatles have been more important as influencers than the Stones. I don't see any relationship between Strones and prog. The closest thing they have done is I think 20000 Light Year From Home, really too few 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 09:45

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

On"Pigs Might Fly" which is about the Pink Floyd's history Rolling Stones are barely mentioned and never as influencers, neither for the psych-blues of the Floyd's very beginnings. In terms of psychedelia the Beatles have been more important as influencers than the Stones. I don't see any relationship between Strones and prog. The closest thing they have done is I think 20000 Light Year From Home, really too few 

Quoted from somewhere else. Without implying that this an opinion I share, but a factoid I've come across in other places as well.

"Even established bands of the time began to experiment with the rock sound, such as the Moody Blues, who recorded their Days of Futures Past album with conductor Peter Knight and the London Symphony Orchestra. Even the Rolling Stones also got into the act (and divided their fan and critical base in the process) with the psychedelic Their Satanic Majesties Request."
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 09:57
Ermm At this juncture someone usualy enters the room carrying a dog-eard copy of Pet Sounds under their arm...

Edited by Dean - May 02 2013 at 09:58
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:25
Like Mademoiselle Nobs you mean ? Big smile

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:27

Welcome

Well that's no fun. How in the world do we pick the brains of the dinosaurs and the experts here without creating controversial threads topics?

But I do love pie! Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 11:52

Welcome Just be aware that everything you'll ever want to discuss, has been discussed before ad nauseum on these forums, so please just start 'fun' threads and 'What is your favourite pie' polls, and you'll get on with everyone just fine..

LOL

I'm in for that idea. I'm an idiot by trade. I can contribute.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>