Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne prog album from a non-prog band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 18:49
Just listened again to the first two Alice Cooper albums, Pretties for You and Easy Action. PFY is rather sloppy and unfocused though it has its moments, but EA is as eclectic as eclectic gets, with every track leaning in a proggy direction, though they had yet to develop a signature sound.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 07:34
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

'Venus And Mars' by Paul MacCartney's Wings was not strictly Prog by the rules, but it had many attributes which could clearly link it to Prog (maybe something like what one could say about Bowie's Diamond Dogs).
The fact that the title song had a reprise in the end being just one example.
A lot of his early solo and Wings stuff had a couple of 'progressive' aspects.
Lots of instrumentals on his first solo...moreso to just get the album out there fast I think, before Lennon's solo release.
Ram had a reprise as well, and that Uncle Albert tune does have some strange stuff going on along with some meter changes.
Red Rose Speedway had that medley thing with four tunes slotted together, a real oddball track with "Loup (1st Indian on the Moon)", and "Little Lamb Dragonfly" sounds like "Hey Jude" with weirder lyrics.
Band On The Run's Picasso tune is kinda offbeat for inclusion in a pop album, and the famous title track starts off rather schizo before it settles into its groove.

Get's tougher after Venus and Mars, maybe Denny's "The Note You Never Wrote" to some small degree..
Never heard early release Wild Life.

Agree in that I wouldn't consider any of his albums actual prog though.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - July 12 2013 at 07:35
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 07:49
id say it's the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and/or "Magical Mystery Tour" soundtrack in my opinion
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 13:22
"How many bands that aren't considered prog have a prog masterpiece in their past?

4)  Klaatu - Hope - 1977"

Actually, I guess it depends on your definition of prog, since Klaatu is already on PA.  (Hence my avatar.)

"I'd say it's the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and/or "Magical Mystery Tour" soundtrack in my opinion."

Again, The Beatles, Pepper and MMT are already on PA.

If we are going to go as far as suggesting Venus and Mars and other McCartney albums, I would go out on a limb and suggest that EJ's Captain Fantastic is certainly HIS most "proggy" album, as Nylon Curtain is for BJ.

There is also a band called Babble which put out two albums, the second of which (Ether) I have always considered a sort of trance-prog album.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 19:28
I'm currently listening to one I can't believe I hadn't brought up till now: Forever Changes by Love, their unqualified masterpiece. They were always striving to be original, and yes, progressive, and they really hit their peak here.
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 12:23
Guns and Roses' and dear Ozzy's mentions are worth enough to delete this topic.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 20:37
Jack Bruce – “Songs for a Tailor” and “Harmony Row”
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 22:08
Golden Earring's album Moontan

Also Iron Maiden released "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son back in the 80's which was a concept album of sorts and fairly proggy. Also their last few albums have been exploring proggier ideas along with epic tracks.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 16:22
Van Morrison's "No Guru, No Method, No Teacher" contains some very proggy material.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 17:11
The most recent release of The Beach Boys..SMILE. Very difficult to define in many sections. Only some songs are psychedelic influenced. "The Fire Tapes" crosses paths with The Residents, "Wind Chimes" and 'Wonderful" are spaced out ballads. The instrumental sections of the "Heroes and Villians Suite" played on harpsichord with added horn section is Classical influenced Prog. The chanting in "Water, Water, Water creates a hypnotic effect. It's difficult to pigeon hole this album. Claimed to be Psychedelic and it's been stated that a mixture of the musical descriptions I've mentioned above defines the musical characteristics of Psychedelic...but no..it certainly doesn't feel that way. I hear more of a early Pink Floyd approach actually. All except for "Good Vibrations", the album feels like a representation of something else other than Psychedelic.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 19:59
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Golden Earring's album Moontan

Also Iron Maiden released "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son back in the 80's which was a concept album of sorts and fairly proggy. Also their last few albums have been exploring proggier ideas along with epic tracks.

Maiden's "Live After Death" 1985 album has ripping live versions of most of their proggiest things up to that point...Ancient Mariner, Icarus, Powerslave, Number of the Beast, & Hallowed by thy Name Headbanger
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:26
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Golden Earring's album MoontanAlso Iron Maiden released "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son back in the 80's which was a concept album of sorts and fairly proggy. Also their last few albums have been exploring proggier ideas along with epic tracks.

Maiden's "Live After Death" 1985 album has ripping live versions of most of their proggiest things up to that point...Ancient Mariner, Icarus, Powerslave, Number of the Beast, & Hallowed by thy Name Headbanger

Dear god....I gotta get in on this too!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:28
Trivium's SHOGUN album is a Prog metal masterpiece. The most consistant Prog related album they have done by a long shot. Great album and the artwork is exceptional. :)
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:47
Every Grateful Dead album up until Shakedown Street in '78 included some level of proginess...some more than others.  Still can't understand how Phish or the Airplane can be on PA but not the good ol' Grateful Dead.  They blazed the trail of psychadelia, electronica, prog-folk, rock-jazz fusion....not to mention their studio tricks that few had tried before or since....Bob Weir's attempt to catch the " noise of silence" in 1966 that prog hero John Cage caught on to in the '70s, the layers of strings, percussion, chants, and falling spoons, the feedback and backward tape loops....all in 1967! 

Give a vote for the Dead!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:47
Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love - nearly every song but two are over 5 minutes, and even the outro (which is like 4 and a half) is a huge bombastic outro. It has this amazing orchestra that they use for like every song. Really good stuff
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Every Grateful Dead album up until Shakedown Street in '78 included some level of proginess...some more than others.  Still can't understand how Phish or the Airplane can be on PA but not the good ol' Grateful Dead.  They blazed the trail of psychadelia, electronica, prog-folk, rock-jazz fusion....not to mention their studio tricks that few had tried before or since....Bob Weir's attempt to catch the " noise of silence" in 1966 that prog hero John Cage caught on to in the '70s, the layers of strings, percussion, chants, and falling spoons, the feedback and backward tape loops....all in 1967! 

Well said!  I just got the "Sunshine Daydream" box set of the 8/27/72 Springfield Creamery Benefit show and the extended improvs they play in "Playin in the Band" & "Dark Star" are just as adventurous and well played as many '73/'74 live Crimso improvs.  Besides that, the studio versions of "Rosemary", "Mountains of the Moon", "Cosmic Charlie", "China Doll", "Unbroken Chain", "Here Comes Sunshine" and more all happily rub shoulders with Crimso/Genesis/etc on my mp3 player Prog playlist.  I've always considered the Dead to define (and be the only band in) the "Boogie Prog" subgenre Wink

I'm afraid most progheads write off the Dead due to the reputation of their tie-dyed deadhead army...but if you can get past the pre-conceived visions of the hippie circus that followed them around and explore some of their stuff with an unbiased ear, you might just be amazed...I was.

As Bill Graham once said of the Dead: "They're not the best at what they do.  They're the only ones that do what they do." 

Edited by The.Crimson.King - October 16 2013 at 12:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:16

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Well said!  I just got the "Sunshine Daydream" box set of the 8/27/72 Springfield Creamery Benefit show and the extended improvs they in "Playin in the Band" & "Dark Star" are just as adventurous and well played as many '73/'74 live Crimso improvs.  Besides that, the studio versions of "Rosemary", "Mountains of the Moon", "Cosmic Charlie", "China Doll", "Unbroken Chain", "Here Comes Sunshine" and more all happily rub shoulders with Crimso/Genesis/etc on my mp3 player Prog playlist.  I've always considered the Dead to define (and be the only band in) the "Boogie Prog" subgenre Wink
I'm afraid most progheads write off the Dead due to the reputation of their tie-dyed deadhead army...but if you can get past the pre-conceived visions of the hippie circus that followed them around and explore some of their stuff with an unbiased ear, you might just be amazed...I was.
As Bill Graham once said of the Dead: "<span style="line-height: 1.2;">They're not the best at what they do.  They're the only ones that do what they do." </span>

Misconceptions are a killer aren't they. I mean look how for many years people thought MY DYING BRIDE was just a typical Doom/metal band, but luckily more people saw them precisely the opposite of that. Thank goodness. :)
Now with THE DEAD it is that stoner rock Dead-Head attitude that a lot of people have towards them. You nailed it there. :)
I hope my beloved SEPULTURA and SOULFLY will get PA'd at some point, but I know that will be some other time.
They are progressive thrash metal and if early Metallica is here on PA then how could SEPULTURA or SOULFLY be overlooked?? Your guess is as good as mine, good buddy. :)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:18
Heavy acid rock band Bloodrock, known by many mainly for their hit "DOA" , produced a couple of really fantastic, proggish albums that are under the radar for many, both from '72, "Passage" and "Bloodrock USA"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 19:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I hope my beloved SEPULTURA and SOULFLY will get PA'd at some point, but I know that will be some other time.
They are progressive thrash metal and if early Metallica is here on PA then how could SEPULTURA or SOULFLY be overlooked?? Your guess is as good as mine, good buddy. :)

If Death is in under Tech/Extreme Prog for the reason that "Death can be seen as the founding fathers of two genres: Death Metal and Progressive Death Metal  While their first 4 studio are not progressive, the remaining 3 show an amazing development of more and more experimental structures." how can we not include Sepultura who can easily make the same claim?  By the time they hit their stride with "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise" my favourite boys from Brazil were creating incredibly complex and punishing musical statements.  They also progressed from thrash/death roots to incorporate folk Brazilian musical traditions into their music, not unlike my other fave PA Tech/Extreme band Enslaved did incorporating Viking musical traditions to widen the scope of their original Black Metal approach.

Once PA opened the barn door and let Death and Enslaved in, Sepultura should be soon to follow Headbanger
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 19:26

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

If Death is in under Tech/Extreme Prog for the reason that "<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Death can be seen as the founding fathers of two genres: Death Metal and Progressive Death Metal  </span><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">While their first 4 studio are not progressive, the remaining 3 show an amazing development of more and more experimental structures.</span><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">" </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">how can we not include Sepultura who can easily make the same claim?  By the time they hit their stride with "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise" my favourite boys from Brazil were creating incredibly complex and punishing musical statements.  They also progressed from thrash/death roots to incorporate folk Brazilian musical traditions into their music, not unlike my other fave PA Tech/Extreme band Enslaved did incorporating Viking musical traditions to widen the scope of their original Black Metal approach.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Once PA opened the barn door and let Death and Enslaved in, Sepultura should be soon to follow Headbanger</span>

The best part is The Soulfly project took it further with the 'punishing, culturally rich south American metal by using Sitars, bongos, Rain sticks and Nylon String Guitars.

Let me just join you on your wonderful and clear point.....

Woooowee that feels good! Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>