Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGruvis Malt and Ebu Gogo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gruvis Malt and Ebu Gogo
    Posted: May 02 2013 at 19:58
Both bands are not here on the site. Gruvis Malt could be considered Electric Prog, or Crossover Prog

These guys definitely deserve a look. A couple of their later albums have hip-hop on them too. I find this band to be pretty amazing.

Now... this OTHER band, with a couple of members of that band, is called Ebu Gogo. And in the 30 minutes I've spent listening to this and Gruvis, I prefer Ebu Gogo. Note, there are NO guitars in this band. Just keyboards, bass, and drums. Some good futuristic music here.

They border on RIO at times...

Or eclectic

This is truly one of those bands that I feel cannot truly be classified. But... one of the points of this site is to organize the prog. So... where doth thou think it go?

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 17:32

This might interest at least a couple of you as well. A music video made by a 13 year old kid for a song of theirs.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 19:03
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruvis_Malt:

"Grüvis Malt was a six piece band founded in Providence, Rhode Island in 1995. Grüvis Malt has released a total of seven full-length albums, one of which was released under Lakeshore Entertainment subsidiary Lakeshore Records, and three EPs. The other albums were released independently under Grüvis Malt's self-run label, Integers Only.

Grüvis Malt is known for their blending of genres (progressive rock, hip hop, jazz, and funk) and intense songwriting. They are the self-proclaimed founders of the "futurock" genre, which features a blending of irregular time signatures (like math rock), unconventional chord progressions, and abnormal song structure. Because of this blending of many genres of music, Grüvis Malt is sometimes called a "musician's band."

The group stopped touring in 2005, after the release of their last album, Maximum Unicorn, in order to pursue solo projects and tangible income."

There is plenty more about their history on wikipedia too.

And for a whopping 48 songs from various albums go to: http://grooveshark.com/#!/grvismalt  Big smile

Unfortunately wikipedia didn't do such a good job with Ebu Gogo...

"The Ebu Gogo are a group of human-like creatures that appear in the mythology of Flores, Indonesia. In the Nage language of central Flores, ebu means 'grandmother' and gogo means 'he who eats anything'. A colloquial English equivalent might be something like "Granny Glutton."   Confused

So all we have is this little bit from myspace: http://www.myspace.com/ebugogoband:

"This ACTION/ADVENTURE band is comprised of three members of futurock band Gruvis Malt. It's sole purpose is to enjoy itself, reference movies more than music and embrace it's inner nerd.
WORLDS IS AVAILABLE NOW ON ..iTUNES.. AND AT THE ..INTEGERS ONLY ONLINE STORE..!

Chase Scenes 1-14 is available there as well, or through iTunes."

But both albums can be streamed in full there:

See also:

I guess both these bands fall under the general umbrella of progressive rock...somewhere...! Embarrassed
But I would imagine they will be evaluated separtately and each given a page of their own if approved.

Ideally a separate thread for each should have been created.

Edited by yam yam - May 03 2013 at 19:07
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:23
Gruvis Malt is a great name, sounds like a character in a Norman Mailer novel
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:41
Sorry. I should have made two pages. :-:D
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 09:56
Gruvis Malt: Listened to well over an hour of their music and it mostly sounds like a cross between Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jamie Cullum. Most of their albums are tagged as progressive, jazz-funk and hip-hop... prog rock may be an influence but I'm not really hearing it in the above tubes. The supposedly proggiest album seems to be Maximum Unicorn - listened to Marco Polo, The American Trilogy, No Rest For The Wicked Awesome - not feeling it I'm afraid. From what I've heard of the band, tracks like the following are a rarity among a great deal of jazz and hip-hop:

Ebu Gogo: Listened to the World album and the stuff on reverbnation... they might have a chance in Rio/Avant. I'll alert the team. 
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 05:39
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 00:52
 Post Reply Post Reply