Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 02:44
wow, I haven't listened to 2013 neo-prog, Airbag and Subsignal are the only ones I listened to and they are not neo-prog if you ask me
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 03:18
2013 was a good year for Neo-prog, although none of the albums I have heard have made it to my top 10 as it is now, but Fanfare & Fantasy, The Twenty Seven Club and The Tale of the Golden King are worth a honourable mention.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 03:24
The new Magenta is good, much better than Chameleon. But aren't magenta more like symphonic prog than neo=prog, how are they neo?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 04:41
The subgenre page of Neo-Prog says this:

This new form of progressive rock originated in the UK, and is most strongly associated with bands such as Marillion, Pendragon and IQ; and while theatrical stage antics were a part of the live performances of many artists exploring this subset of the progressive rock genre it's the musical elements that are key to the genre; typified by the use of atmospheric guitar and synth soloing with symphonic leanings, with a tendency towards floating synth layers and dreamy soloing. An additional trait is the use of modern synths rather than vintage analogue synths and keyboards. The main reasons for Neo-Progressive artists to be separated from the ones exploring Symphonic Prog in the first place are the above, as well as a heavier emphasis on song-form and melody than some of their earlier symphonic counterparts.

I think Magenta meets this Neo-Prog requirements quite well, rather than sounding like classic 70's Symphonic Prog.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 05:16
I did not even know that Neo-prog was dead, and now you are talking rebirth.
 I must try to keep myself more updated on all this genre related gossip.

Edited by tamijo - December 18 2013 at 05:16
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 05:56
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I've got an album (which I bought at the exact time as those Twin Age albums) called `When Silence Will Be Unbearable' from 1996 by a band called Taliesyn. They're not on the Prog Archives, and there's barely a trace of them on the net, but they almost fit that same description you mentioned above - Neo-prog metal - with a ton of keyboards, crunchy riffs and a distinctive female singer! I think you in particular would really go for them! 70's Genesis with a harder grunt and a tough female singer. I'll have to see if I can find any clips of it.

Perhaps I should consider getting them added to the Archives, it's a fine little album!

This band was added to progfreak (in Prog Metal - 'discuss') by Thanos 4 months ago: http://progfreak.com/Taliesyn-157347.html?path=pa/recent. They have never been proposed for addition on here by a forum member as far as I know, but I have the CD on order, and if nothing develops within the next couple of weeks I'll try creating a thread for them in the New Suggestions forum. As you say though - not much info available for them at the moment apart from "Taliesyn is a Progressive Metal band from Duderstadt/Oldenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany, formed in 1993", and a list of the band members! Theyre on proggnosis though, as well as MMA: http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_DETAIL.aspx?AID=3197, so I think they definitely need to be properly evaluated. Thumbs Up
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 05:59
Will 2014 be the rebirth of Symphonic Prog?
Anglagard, Discipline, SB, TFK, Echolyn, and the rest, are all showing signs of melodicness. 
Maybe they're actually neo-Neo? Wink
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Österman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 07:36
When Fripp and Hackett got out they were new and I first learned music in those years. DT and Meshuggah were inspiration for 90's kids and today's new players see them as foundation where the progression starts. The future is something we can not see today. Make a 70's style prog song and it's regression. Of course, there's always demand for that too. What is prog now is a standard tomorrow. Here's something I quite don't understand, but again, young players see things differently. Check out this:

No relation, btw.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 07:48
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I've got an album (which I bought at the exact time as those Twin Age albums) called `When Silence Will Be Unbearable' from 1996 by a band called Taliesyn. They're not on the Prog Archives, and there's barely a trace of them on the net, but they almost fit that same description you mentioned above - Neo-prog metal - with a ton of keyboards, crunchy riffs and a distinctive female singer! I think you in particular would really go for them! 70's Genesis with a harder grunt and a tough female singer. I'll have to see if I can find any clips of it.

Perhaps I should consider getting them added to the Archives, it's a fine little album!

This band was added to progfreak (in Prog Metal - 'discuss') by Thanos 4 months ago: http://progfreak.com/Taliesyn-157347.html?path=pa/recent. They have never been proposed for addition on here by a forum member as far as I know, but I have the CD on order, and if nothing develops within the next couple of weeks I'll try creating a thread for them in the New Suggestions forum. As you say though - not much info available for them at the moment apart from "Taliesyn is a Progressive Metal band from Duderstadt/Oldenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany, formed in 1993", and a list of the band members! Theyre on proggnosis though, as well as MMA: http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_DETAIL.aspx?AID=3197, so I think they definitely need to be properly evaluated. Thumbs Up

Wow, David, this came out of the blue! I hope you have been able to track down the CD, the artwork is wonderful, and I still think they were quite a cool band! A bit rough around the edges in places, but they had definitie potential! I'll go dig the CD out for a fresh spin myself! Please keep in touch about it, and maybe we can organise about a proper proposal on the Forum!
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 07:50

^ He He, sophisticated selfpromo spamming. I should learn from that

(the one above) 

Edited by tamijo - December 18 2013 at 07:51
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Österman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 07:57
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

^ He He, sophisticated selfpromo spamming. I should learn from that

(the one above) 

No, actually. The player is 18yo and I'm 46. A kid I know, no intention for self promoting. Sorry for giving a false impression.
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 08:32
I never even knew that neoprog was dead! I suppose I need to keep up to date on things like this.

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 14:03

Richard, just about everyone I know loves the Comedy of Errors one, but to me it was the dud of the year. Certainly pleasant, melodic and upbeat, but so wishy washy I thought Charlie Brown was playing on it! It grew on me a little, but it's so squeaky clean I want to roll around in mud after I listen to it!

But even some of my good friends like Tom Ozric and Nick rate it very highly, so clearly I'm the one with the problem!

The most recent by Flamborough Head from a few months ago sits right at the top of Neo for me, check out Tsizrmay's (I bet I got that name wrong lol!) review from a few days ago, he totally praised it far better than I could have!

A lot of neo prog can be like that though. Someone once used the description 'polite' which is often very apt

I haven't heard of Flamborough Head but I've made a mental note to check them out.Thumbs Up

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 15:16

Wow, David, this came out of the blue! I hope you have been able to track down the CD, the artwork is wonderful, and I still think they were quite a cool band! A bit rough around the edges in places, but they had definitie potential! I'll go dig the CD out for a fresh spin myself! Please keep in touch about it, and maybe we can organise about a proper proposal on the Forum!
Yeah - the CD is on its way to me. As soon as it lands I'll upload the first and last tracks to YouTube so we've something pretty to put in the thread (and something for any visitors to listen to...), I'll speak to Thanos about any plans he may have for an evaluation in PM (I would think it fairly unlikely that the band will go far in that sub), and we'll hopefully sort something out from there. Smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 15:24

Magic mike. I still don't know how you got one of those Twin Age albums. God...they are impossible to find and yes their isn't a whole lot of info on them. I really like them. Think they could have been huge like Twelfth Night if Geoff Mann didn't die. :(
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 15:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Richard, just about everyone I know loves the Comedy of Errors one, but to me it was the dud of the year. Certainly pleasant, melodic and upbeat, but so wishy washy I thought Charlie Brown was playing on it! It grew on me a little, but it's so squeaky clean I want to roll around in mud after I listen to it!

But even some of my good friends like Tom Ozric and Nick rate it very highly, so clearly I'm the one with the problem!

The most recent by Flamborough Head from a few months ago sits right at the top of Neo for me, check out Tsizrmay's (I bet I got that name wrong lol!) review from a few days ago, he totally praised it far better than I could have!
A lot of neo prog can be like that though. Someone once used the description 'polite' which is often very apt
I haven't heard of Flamborough Head but I've made a mental note to check them out.Thumbs Up

Certainly it's worth checking out an album that's worth 5 missing Rolex's!!!
E-Bay is pretty good for album prices by them...at least where I live though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 03:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 09:39

Frost - The Rockfield Files

Want to get my hands on this one. I did enjoy their first album 'Milliontown' and John Mitchell as a guitarist I think I'd put in my top 10 of all time favourites. Very very good player. One of Neo's best.
Nice to see it made your list for 2013 as well, Richard. Sorry the year hasn't been as good as the last for you, but it sounds like 'The Rockfield files' put a smile on your face.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 02:14
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Want to get my hands on this one. I did enjoy their first album 'Milliontown' and John Mitchell as a guitarist I think I'd put in my top 10 of all time favourites. Very very good player. One of Neo's best.
Nice to see it made your list for 2013 as well, Richard. Sorry the year hasn't been as good as the last for you, but it sounds like 'The Rockfield files' put a smile on your face.

cheers Nicholas, yep its been an ok year for me but then I simply don't have enough time or money to sift through everything out there. To some extent The Three Monks and Frost pulled the year back for me. Add possibly my favourite Spocks Beard album to date and Steven Wilson's superb album then perhaps I am being a bit overly down on the year. Some decent debuts as well  from Fright Pig , Sound Of Contact and Lifesigns. Did I say it was not  a great yearCoolLOL

Edited by richardh - December 24 2013 at 02:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 09:50

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

cheers Nicholas, yep its been an ok year for me but then I simply don't have enough time or money to sift through everything out there. To some extent The Three Monks and Frost pulled the year back for me. Add possibly my favourite Spocks Beard album to date and Steven Wilson's superb album then perhaps I am being a bit overly down on the year. Some decent debuts as well  from Fright Pig , Sound Of Contact and Lifesigns. Did I say it was not  a great yearCoolLOL

And a big cheers you, Richard! Merry Christmas as well!
I'm glad to see and hear that 2013 gave you a few great spins...I think it's been an exceptional year for Neo Prog releases as well. I think one of the better Neo albums this year was Cosmograf's The Man Left In Space and T's Psychoanorexia. Catch ya in 2014 where I know and will be talking about IQ's upcoming new abum.
I think it's gonna be great, but FREQUENCY will be very tough to top!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>